Language Line Services Does an About Face (-to-Face)

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Language Line Services Does an About Face (-to-Face)".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 10:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 5, 2010

Greetings.

Interesting development about LLS' new mode of providing customers with language services via on-site interpreters.

May one observe that the HR/recruiting division of LLS uses an irregular and inconsistent -- if not convoluted -- method of assessing and selecting bilingual applicants for registration and employment.

1. The HR people at the LLS main office and operations center in Monterey receives application packets (resumes, CV, etc.)
... See more
Greetings.

Interesting development about LLS' new mode of providing customers with language services via on-site interpreters.

May one observe that the HR/recruiting division of LLS uses an irregular and inconsistent -- if not convoluted -- method of assessing and selecting bilingual applicants for registration and employment.

1. The HR people at the LLS main office and operations center in Monterey receives application packets (resumes, CV, etc.)

2. HR at LLS then outsources the interview, assessment and selection phase to screeners/interviewers located elsewhere in the US.

3. Those "remote" interviewers, referring only to my experience as an Arabic - English linguist and long-time OTP and on-site interpreter (including on behalf of the "old LLS when" it was a business unit of AT&T), are clueless about the nature of an interpreter's role and work. When the interviewer -- based in Florida (after I asked) -- called me, our initial discussion and then her questions for assessment revealed that [1] she did not have my resume at hand [she confessed that all paperwork was with the HR/recruiters at LLS back in Monterey and that she had only my name and telephone number] and [2] she was interviewing a candidate for full-time, entry-level work in an office setting which had nothing to do with providing either OTP or on-site interpreting.

Among her script of questions were [1] "How do you see yourself here after five years?" [2] "How well do you relate with your office mates?", and [3] "how are your skills in using computers and the MS Office suite of applications?"

Mind-boggling way of doing the HR business, made more so by the fact that the current LLS website provides no apparent method or access point for relaying these related concerns and observations to the management at LLS, including the invisible / inaccessible CEO.

With all due regard and best wishes for the success and market growth of LLS.

Sincerely,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California
February 5, 2010
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language Line Services Does an About Face (-to-Face)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »