'Tergiversate' is the word of the year 2011 according to Dictionary.com

This discussion belongs to Translation news » " 'Tergiversate' is the word of the year 2011 according to Dictionary.com ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 06:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
A non starter Dec 1, 2011

It just sounds like Spanglish to me ("tergiversar" is quite a common Spanish word).

Quite how a vocabulary item "not in common usage" (if not downright recondite) can be voted "word of the year" is a mystery to me. It would be interesting to know the team's criteria.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:31
Hebrew to English
Agree-Ridiculous Dec 1, 2011

One word, used once by one person (company) for one specific context, which 99.99% of the population has never heard of, never used and wouldn't understand. Hardly word of the year - although it's a nice word, it would be nice if it gained currency - only then should it really be considered "word of the year". Mind you, the other choice "zugzwang"....eeek. Best out of a bad bunch perhaps?

Also I'm not keen on borrowing German words (zugzwang) when there's a plethora of available Engli
... See more
One word, used once by one person (company) for one specific context, which 99.99% of the population has never heard of, never used and wouldn't understand. Hardly word of the year - although it's a nice word, it would be nice if it gained currency - only then should it really be considered "word of the year". Mind you, the other choice "zugzwang"....eeek. Best out of a bad bunch perhaps?

Also I'm not keen on borrowing German words (zugzwang) when there's a plethora of available English options (which are often more expressive) - Catch 22, no-win situation, lose-lose situation and more... I think the kind of people doing this unnecessary borrowing are just trying to sound more intelligent than they really are - or lack the intelligence or will to search their own lexicon.
Collapse

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 13:31
Japanese to English
Not to offend the FB crowd but... Dec 2, 2011

From the Dictionary.com Web site:
There are essentially two ways to pick a “word of the year.” One common approach is to select from words whose common usage reflects some quality of the year past. Expect to see “occupy,” “winning,” etc., on many selections this December. Another way involves actually using the dictionary. Is there a word that captures the character of 2011, regardless of its popularity or ubiquity?

In late October, we asked our Facebook fans which method of selection they preferred...

I stopped reading right there...the biggest tergiversaters are certainly from that crowd...

(Now, all you slings and arrows, commence firing!)

[Edited at 2011-12-02 08:17 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 06:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Clunker of the year Dec 2, 2011

Ty Kendall wrote:

... I think the kind of people doing this unnecessary borrowing are just trying to sound more intelligent than they really are - or lack the intelligence or will to search their own lexicon.

Me too, but didn't want to raise any hackles unduly. The choice of "tergiversate" is summed up for me by the lovely Spanish word "rebuscadisima" (extremely contrived). And as for "zugzwang", I looked it up yesterday and I've already forgotten what it meant. It sounds like a deviant act committted on a train...

Then again, I'd be pushed to come up with a suggestion for a word of the year of my own. I may come back to this later if anything amusing springs to mind.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:31
Hebrew to English
Zugzwang Dec 2, 2011

I studied German for years so I can appreciate the "beauty" of "zugzwang" - as a GERMAN word....but I just object to such unneccesary and superficial borrowing. Like I said, there's some really nice phrases in English which describe the same scenario.

Doesn't Susie Dent usually do a (more sensible) "Words of the Year"?

...According to Oxford dictionaries, the 2011 word of
... See more
I studied German for years so I can appreciate the "beauty" of "zugzwang" - as a GERMAN word....but I just object to such unneccesary and superficial borrowing. Like I said, there's some really nice phrases in English which describe the same scenario.

Doesn't Susie Dent usually do a (more sensible) "Words of the Year"?

...According to Oxford dictionaries, the 2011 word of the year is "squeezed middle":
http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/11/squeezed-middle/
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 00:31
Romanian to English
+ ...
Tergiversate Dec 3, 2011

same spelling, is a very common Romanian word and it means ”delayed”.

[Edited at 2011-12-03 18:24 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Tergiversate' is the word of the year 2011 according to Dictionary.com

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »