Shakespeare's skill was in his grammar not his language, academic claims

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Shakespeare's skill was in his grammar not his language, academic claims".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:15
Spanish to English
Duh Feb 2, 2012

When has anyone ever watched a play or read a book because of its innovative grammar? I personally like the timelessness of his understanding of human nature and the workings of power.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:15
French to English
+ ...
Hard to assess... Feb 2, 2012

It's hard to assess without seeing the actual paper, but I wonder how reliably one can really assess the difference between: (a) actual grammatical innovation, and (b) usage 'on the fringe of already acceptable grammar' [but not readily attested, due to being on the fringe] for the sake of the needs of rhyme/rhythm.

It might (or not?) have been a conception among the layperson, but I also wonder if *academics* actually seriously thought of Shakespeare as inventing more words than ot
... See more
It's hard to assess without seeing the actual paper, but I wonder how reliably one can really assess the difference between: (a) actual grammatical innovation, and (b) usage 'on the fringe of already acceptable grammar' [but not readily attested, due to being on the fringe] for the sake of the needs of rhyme/rhythm.

It might (or not?) have been a conception among the layperson, but I also wonder if *academics* actually seriously thought of Shakespeare as inventing more words than other contemporaries prior to this study, wherever it is hidden. Corpus analyses I've seen don't show Shakespeare's vocabulary as being terribly special as far as I'm aware.

[Edited at 2012-02-02 05:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-02 05:06 GMT]
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:15
Chinese to English
I would! Feb 2, 2012

"When has anyone ever watched a play or read a book because of its innovative grammar?"

I'm a professional writer who spends much of his life wrestling with the gap between two very different grammars. I would definitely read a book if someone told me it did cool things with grammar. This has reminded me to go back to Shakespeare and to let him inform my writing more, so thanks to Romina for bringing it to our attention!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shakespeare's skill was in his grammar not his language, academic claims

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »