Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Council complains that “stop” markings on Welsh roads are displayed in English only

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Council complains that “stop” markings on Welsh roads are displayed in English only".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:51
German to English
A "Stop" sign by any other name... Nov 1, 2012

... is still pretty obvious when it is at a "T" junction with a double white line next to it. However, as someone who lived in Wales for 15 years, I do get the strong impression that Welsh Nationalist councillors use their language rather as a weapon against the English invader than as a useful tool for comprehension, although it is true that the language is still very widely spoken in the Caernarfon heartlands and on Anglesey. But I would say more as a spoken than written language - I was once ... See more
... is still pretty obvious when it is at a "T" junction with a double white line next to it. However, as someone who lived in Wales for 15 years, I do get the strong impression that Welsh Nationalist councillors use their language rather as a weapon against the English invader than as a useful tool for comprehension, although it is true that the language is still very widely spoken in the Caernarfon heartlands and on Anglesey. But I would say more as a spoken than written language - I was once involved in a public transport survey on Anglesey and all the "old dears" turned over their forms to the English side to complete them!Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:51
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Another reason Nov 2, 2012

Helena Chavarria wrote:

Years ago, someone told me that the most important aspect of a 'Stop' sign is its shape. Apparently they are usually hexagonal so that even when they're covered in snow, drivers know they have to stop.

Whether or not that's true, it seems quite logical to me.

Actually, three signs in some European countries have special shapes - 'stop' is an octagon, 'give way' is an upside down triangle and 'right of way' is a diamond - so that you can recognize them also from behind... That way, when you approach an intersection, you need just a glance to know who goes first.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Council complains that “stop” markings on Welsh roads are displayed in English only

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »