Instant translation – no longer sci-fi

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Instant translation – no longer sci-fi".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

alex suhoy
alex suhoy  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:54
English to Russian
+ ...
*** Dec 23, 2014

On-line voice translation might have problems with non-grammatically correct sentences. The human interpreter would have no problems.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:54
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
*** Dec 23, 2014

alex suhoy wrote:

On-line voice translation might have problems with non-grammatically correct sentences. The human interpreter would have no problems.

Human translators have enough problems translating transcriptions of vernacular conversations. When people throw in "like", "umm", etc., or when they backup in what they're saying and rephrase it, as often happens in a normal conversation, it can become quite complicated to render properly. I pity the poor machine that tries to make head or tail of an ordinary spoken conversation.

[Edited at 2014-12-23 22:03 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:54
Chinese to English
This is how they'll learn Dec 24, 2014

John Fossey wrote:

I pity the poor machine that tries to make head or tail of an ordinary spoken conversation.

Sure, but this is how they'll learn to do it. It's not going to start working properly until they link language to extra-linguistic stuff. You can't learn a language through language only. But they should be able to make a lot of progress by just grinding the data. The end is nigh, and I welcome our new robot overlords!

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
At my age ... Dec 25, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:
The end is nigh, and I welcome our new robot overlords!

... I can afford to be arrogantly complacent

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
It is science fiction and it will stay science-fiction Dec 25, 2014

forever.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

[Edited at 2014-12-25 09:04 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Dec 25, 2014

This will mean more business for us, professional translators. The more people communicate and translate with automatic systems, the more they understand how they need us for their important stuff.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
People are sooooo yesterday Dec 25, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

This will mean more business for us, professional translators. The more people communicate and translate with automatic systems, the more they understand how they need us for their important stuff.

People are becoming unnecessary. In the future, machines will deal with one another automatically and there will be nothing for humans to do.

[Edited at 2014-12-25 10:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Instant translation – no longer sci-fi

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »