Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Italian man spent two nights in Shrewsbury cell after translation problems

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Italian man spent two nights in Shrewsbury cell after translation problems".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
As the article says ... Jan 29, 2015

"... a road side breath test confirmed he was over the limit...."

So he was drunk, despite being Italian, and despite the fact that, as far as I know, they have to do two tests, and only the second one is valid (perhaps someone will correct me on this - it seems crazy to do another one much later on).

Maybe it was the temptation of not being in Italy at the time, and that nobody would know. Although a load of translators are certainly getting to know
... See more

"... a road side breath test confirmed he was over the limit...."

So he was drunk, despite being Italian, and despite the fact that, as far as I know, they have to do two tests, and only the second one is valid (perhaps someone will correct me on this - it seems crazy to do another one much later on).

Maybe it was the temptation of not being in Italy at the time, and that nobody would know. Although a load of translators are certainly getting to know about it!

And regarding this business of "the constantly drunk British", respectfully, Tom, as ev'ry skoolboy kno, our crowd could give them a good run for their money there, unfortunately. Ever seen an Irish film without a bar scene and/or a brawl? Not one, all the way back to The Quiet Man. The critics call it cultcha.

[Edited at 2015-01-29 12:47 GMT]
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:25
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Mamma mia! Jan 29, 2015

some bits are indeed quite nice... I must say... But not Edgecombe Way....

Ty Kendall wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

You need to drink heavily if you live in Shrewsbury...

Sacrilege Giovanni, utter sacrilege!
I love Shrewsbury (admittedly it has its shabbier parts: Harlescott, Monkmoor, Ditherington and Gains Park being among the least picturesque) but the town centre is charming (a typical medieval town with all the architecture to go with it) and there are some nice enclaves around the town centre (the 'posher' parts) that balance out the rough parts and some really nice villages (one of which I live in) within a few miles (well I live 14 miles away but still in Shropshire).

[Edited at 2015-01-29 13:12 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Sceptical Jan 29, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

this Sceptic Isle.

was that an intentional malapropism?

It is what it is, old chap, take it as you find it and let your imagination do the rest.

I should point out that I was, in the permanent fashion of my countrymen as you so astutely pointed out, utterly shedded when I wrote it, and so drunk I can hardly stand while I type this explanation. So it's a good job I'm sitting down. Bottoms up!

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:25
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
+ 1 Feb 2, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
I find some of the comments here faintly distasteful.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
???? Feb 2, 2015

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
I find some of the comments here faintly distasteful.

I love a good controversial comment, but I am unsure what you and Tom are referring to?

Personally I think referring to an entire nation as "constantly drunk" is faintly distasteful, but that's just me.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Right on Feb 2, 2015

Ty Kendall wrote:

Personally I think referring to an entire nation as "constantly drunk" is faintly distasteful, but that's just me.

Right on.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Odd Feb 13, 2015

Ty Kendall wrote:

The first thing I noticed upon moving to Shrewsbury was that there is no shortage of Italians, I'm amazed they had such a hard time finding an interpreter.

That's not necessarily a guarantee. At a court in Aragon, the judge moved back a trial after the Chinese language interpreter sent by the service contractor failed to meet the demands of the task. He ordered the court officials to case the Chinese restaurants in the district for a substitute.

They did. Unfortunately the compensation was lower than a waiter's wages.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A funny story Feb 13, 2015

Parrot wrote:

That's not necessarily a guarantee. At a court in Aragon, the judge moved back a trial after the Chinese language interpreter sent by the service contractor failed to meet the demands of the task. He ordered the court officials to case the Chinese restaurants in the district for a substitute.

Someone from NYC I met online about 20 years ago, when she learned that I was a translator, told me the story of her (then) recent jury duty.

Two Chinese men had beaten the hell out of a Bulgarian guy. As a matter of fact, all three were illegal in the US, so the most cost-effective solution for American taxpayers would have been Immigration to ship all three back to their respective homelands. None of the three spoke any English at all. However the assault and battery had occurred inside the Central Park, undeniably US grounds, so they were entitled to a fair trial by US laws.

They found a Chinese interpreter right away, but couldn't locate one for Bulgarian x English. After some search, they found one who could interpret Bulgarian x Russian, and another one who could do between Russian x English.

Everything set up, jury empaneled, they commenced. Interpreting would be consecutive, on the judge's decision, so there would be an audio recording of all languages, in case any translation were challenged afterwards. Everything to and from the two Chinese was translated once, and everything to and from the Bulgarian was translated twice.

According to my friend in the jury, if the case had been handled entirely in English, and if the jury hadn't wasted so much time analyzing the CSU-provided pictures of the Bulgarian's bruises, to extensively discuss his impressive, ape-like hirsuteness that made the bruises hardly visible to the untrained eye, it would have been open-and-shut in one afternoon. As it was, it took FOUR DAYS!

I don't recall what was the final outcome, but it was certainly a great example of time wasted.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian man spent two nights in Shrewsbury cell after translation problems

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »