Thread poster: clearwater
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:56
Chinese to English
+ ...
Anyway Apr 9, 2014

I got to go do some weeding in my backyard. It's that time of year again.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
For your reference Apr 9, 2014

J.H.,

This is for your reference.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/ios-7-1-on-the-iphone-4-as-good-as-its-going-to-get/

As you can see, it does not seem like anything in the 7.1 release has been reverted back to 6.1.3(the last release of iOS6); I would think that includes functions with the new U/I setting
... See more
J.H.,

This is for your reference.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/ios-7-1-on-the-iphone-4-as-good-as-its-going-to-get/

As you can see, it does not seem like anything in the 7.1 release has been reverted back to 6.1.3(the last release of iOS6); I would think that includes functions with the new U/I setting options Apple came up with (in 7.1) to accommodate the said disgruntled users. The run times for all the major tasks are different on the same hardware - the older generation iPhone4, which has a much slower processor than the iPhone5.

There's a measurable improvement over iOS 7.0 across all of these apps, some more noticeable than others. In a few instances, iOS 7.1 very nearly catches up with iOS 6.1.3, which is impressive given the gap between the two operating systems in some of these apps. It's not a complete recovery from the original iOS 7.0 release, but it's about as good as Apple can do with hardware this old. The small speed improvements are present throughout the operating system, and this makes the iPhone 4 feel more responsive than it did, if not always as responsive as it once was.

iOS 7.1 also helps with the UI jerkiness that was all over the place in 7.0. It's easiest to capture the difference in video—actions like launching apps or pulling up the Control Center shade are always visibly jerky in iOS 7.0, but they're smooth (or at least smoother) in the new update.

[Edited at 2014-04-09 18:38 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Yes indeed Apr 9, 2014

Okay, I decided to search for the original article. And I did find it. Finding it was actually as easy as pie.

http://www.imore.com/ios-71-lets-you-take-some-magic-and-all-motion-sickness-out-your-iphone-and-ipad

That Apple felt the need to add these settings is interesting. It appears to acknowledge that some people had serious usability issues with iOS 7. Rather than walking anything back by changing the defaults for everyone, however, Apple simply added options for those who need or want them. My guess is that Jony Ive and team still firmly believe in the direction they took iOS 7, they just feel it's taking the rest of us a little longer to adjust to it than they'd hoped. So, the settings are indeed a middle ground. Something that's there for those who find iOS 7 challenging or distressing to use.

I still like the overall design of iOS 7, including the default typography, animations, and contrasts. The naked buttons haven't hurt usability for me but they still seem unfinished, design-wise. Either way, I've not enabled any of the walk-backs above. However, if iOS 7 was hard for you to read, if it made you motion sick, or if was in any way difficult or uncomfortable for you to use, these news settings will provide some welcome relief.

Put into further context, yes, "walking back" does mean reverting back to the default settings of iOS6. clearwater had left some important words out.

J.H., I apologize to you. You were correct.

🈯️ ... 而不是给所有用户统一设置为旧版 iOS 的某些默认值

p.s., clearwater, you probably need to rework the translation of that sentence.

[Edited at 2014-04-10 01:59 GMT]

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
Local time: 18:56
English to Chinese
供参考 Apr 10, 2014

J.H. Wang wrote:

苹果并没有因为一些用户碰到易用性问题就将 iOS 7 的任何东西倒退回到之前的版本,而是为一些用户添加他们需要的选项。

我觉得J H Wang 的译文把握原义比较准,表达得也比较易懂。句子顺序与英文一致,逻辑上也更顺畅一些。只是一些细节没有完全译出来。

在他的基础上,稍作改变:

“然而,苹果公司没有因此走回头路,没有在任何部分让所有用户都用回旧版本,而只为有这种需要或者特别喜欢旧版本的用户增加了一些相关的选项。”

“特别喜欢旧版本”的措辞有点发挥,因为“want”一词在这里很难译。直接译为“想要”或“很想要”,没人能明白。我理解,英文原文中的“need” 指的是不会用新版本的用户的要求,他们需要回到旧版本才能使用;而“want”则是指对老版本情有独钟的用户,他们不是不会用新的,而是舍不得放弃旧的,“想要”旧的。

据我的观察,这里涉及的是软件版本升级中常见的问题。Windows 的新版本中也有照顾老用户的这类选项。例如我现在用的
vista,contral panel 中有一个按钮“classic view”,按一下就回到较老的版本(例如win 98)中的那种“look and feel”了。苹果机我没玩过,猜测他们做法也大同小异。这里似乎不涉及“功能”的问题,主要是人机界面的问题。新版本一定有新的功能,但影响易用性的通常不是新功能,而是改变了人机界面。这里所说的“选项”也不是取消或者恢复任何“功能”,而是部分地恢复旧的人机界面。对任何人来说,新功能永远都是好东西。要不然谁要花钱升级呀?:)

[Edited at 2014-04-10 08:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-04-10 08:19 GMT]

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
English to Chinese
不能用“每个用户” Apr 10, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:

Rather than walking anything back for everyone, however, Apple simply added options for those who need or want them.

但苹果公司因为不愿意普遍取消系统中的新功能,影响所有用户,所以仅仅推出一些新的选择项目来满足有需要的用户。

您的译文中的“所有用户”才是正确的用法。

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
English to Chinese
再斟酌 Apr 10, 2014

“want” 译为“偏爱”行吗?

“需要或偏爱旧版本的用户”?

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
English to Chinese
致楼主 Apr 10, 2014

您可以根据全文判断这里的“选项”是不是关于新旧界面的选择。如果是,就可以考虑处理为“用回旧界面”、“需要或偏爱旧界面的用户”等,可以消除歧义,让读者一目了然。

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
English to Chinese
避免“旧版本”的提法比较安全 Apr 10, 2014

“旧版本”的提法意思是对的。但是从技术上严格地说是不准确的。因为“版本”指的是一个整体,包括功能和界面。事实上软件公司是绝不会回到旧版本去的,因为那等于宣告失败,前功尽弃。部分的恢复,严格地说不是“版本”。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
missing words in original posted text Apr 10, 2014

Fargoer,

Thanks for your input. The thing is, no one is clairvoyant. Unfortunately, clearwater mistakenly left out some important words in the sentence he had problems with: "by changing the defaults".

Rather than walking anything back by changing the defaults for everyone, however, Apple simply added options for those who need or want them.

That gives a whole different meaning and perspective to the whole passage of text.

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
只是探讨问题而已 Apr 10, 2014

wherestip wrote:

Put into further context, yes, "walking back" does mean reverting back to the default settings of iOS6. clearwater had left some important words out.

J.H., I apologize to you. You were correct.

apologize 就不必了,呵呵。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
一个巴掌拍不响 Apr 10, 2014

J.H. Wang wrote:

apologize 就不必了,呵呵。

J.H.,

I like your even temper, positive attitude, and modesty. The fact is, people often get unnecessarily roused up and emotional in some discussions, including myself occasionally. But I have to say I often find myself at the brunt of some discussions. And as they say, it takes two to tango.

As Yueyin can tell you, I'm actually very quiet in person.

[Edited at 2014-04-10 16:06 GMT]

clearwater
clearwater
China
Local time: 08:56
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
anything Apr 10, 2014

Fargoer wrote:

Rather than walking anything back for everyone

我觉得这里的anything就是通常意义上的anything:涉及操作系统的方方面面,包括外观界面、功能特性和设置等等。

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
English to Chinese
句子顺序 Apr 10, 2014

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Apple 并没有把 iOS 7 中 某些人不喜欢的 操作功能设置完全推翻(取缔、废除、摒弃),而是将其保留

苹果并没有因为一些用户碰到易用性问题就将 iOS 7 的任何东西倒退回到之前的版本,而是为一些用户添加他们需要的选项。

walk back 字面意思就是走回头路,退回去,就是倒退到 iOS 7 之前的版本。

[Edited at 2014-04-08 11:52 GMT]

我比较喜欢这个版本。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
请交代一下 Apr 11, 2014

clearwater wrote:

Fargoer wrote:

clearwater,

Aren't you even going to say something about posting text with missing information that some of us might deem essential?

[Edited at 2014-04-11 03:05 GMT]

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
English to Chinese
走两叉了 Apr 11, 2014

clearwater wrote:

Fargoer wrote:

我问的是苹果公司针对问题为用户提供的“选项”,您说的是 "anything"。我问的是他们做了什么,您说的是他们没做什么。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

请教一个短语walk anything back的意思。

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »