Translation is approximation by guesstimation
Thread poster: Alan Wang
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:20
Chinese to English
Great reference May 17, 2014

That's a fabulous explanation, Steve. It shows that Alan is right: the phrase wouldn't make sense as stands in Chinese, and the reason is it's a slightly contracted usage: reasonable suspicion=the suspicion of a reasonable person. 符合一般逻辑的?
For the most part, I think appeals to evidence or substance would be fine (有依据的怀疑、实质性的风险), but the concepts are slightly different. If I had access to the client, I'd check first.

Loise
Loise
France
Local time: 17:20
French to Chinese
+ ...
有合理依据怀疑 May 17, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

We will immediately suspend or discontinue engagement with upstream suppliers where we identify a reasonable risk that they are sourcing from, or linked to, any party committing serious abuses as defined in paragraph 1.
我们发现在一定程度上存在上游供应商从第一段中定义的犯有严重侵权行为的任何一方进行采购或与之有关联的风险的情况下,我们将立即中止或中断与其的合作。

How about this:
若我们有合理证据怀疑上游供应商....,我们将立即.....
这样感觉更像中文的习惯表达。

把reasonable risk翻译成了“有合理证据怀疑”,不知可否?请指正。

我觉得有合理证据怀疑的中文听起来挺顺的。但“证据”——proof的意思太强,这表示已经有了物质性的具体事实,有了已经可以证实的风险。而reason的意思是比较弱的,它仅是出自合理逻辑判断所得的结论,尚未到达具体的、物质性的事实的程度,所以它跟proof还是有一点距离的。因此我觉得把证据这个字眼换成根据、依据似乎是比较贴切的。中文里,当我们说一个论点有根据、有依据,就表示这个论点是based on sound judgment。当你说,你“有合理依据怀疑……的风险”,这是你已经 identified a risk based on sound judgment。而我们把a reasonable risk 当成 a risk identified based on sound judgment 似乎是可以的……事实上,我们可以合理地怀疑、有理由、有依据、有根据的怀疑,但是当我们有了证据之后,就不必怀疑了——可以直接断言、下结论啦!

[Edited at 2014-05-17 06:05 GMT]

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reasonable May 17, 2014

wherestip, thanks for the link.
jinachen, thanks for the insightful explanation.
Thanks to you I am getting a better understanding of the word used here.
So behind this word there’s a law tradition.
Without the concept of reasonable person, I guess one doesn’t come by the reasonable risk, meaning a risk as believed to exist by a reasonable person.

Loise
Loise
France
French to Chinese
+ ...
a risk as believed to exist by a reasonable person May 17, 2014

若说,a reasonable person 是一个假想的、标准情况下的自然人,那么,a risk as believed to exist by a reasonable person 应该是一种在假想的,标准情况下的判断所推知的风险。这样说来,我觉得说a reasonable risk 是一个合情合理的判断下、合乎常理的判断所得知的风险,甚至是一种一般标准情况下可以想见的合理程度的风险、适当程度的风险似乎也无不可。这又回到了最普通的语境里使用reasonable risk的意思:take a reasonable risk,表示适当地冒险,承担一个合理程度的风险。
作者在写作时,心里想到的reasonable的意思也可能是双重、多重的,它可能既表示a moderate degree,也表示它是一个合乎理性逻辑、合理判断的风险,也是a risk as believed to exist by a reasonable person。翻译,有时候需要尊重原文的多义性和模糊性。

[Edited at 2014-05-17 10:26 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
比较赞成这种理解 May 17, 2014

Loise wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

We will immediately suspend or discontinue engagement with upstream suppliers where we identify a reasonable risk that they are sourcing from, or linked to, any party committing serious abuses as defined in paragraph 1.

How about this:
这样感觉更像中文的习惯表达。

我觉得有合理证据怀疑的中文听起来挺顺的。但“证据”——proof的意思太强,这表示已经有了物质性的具体事实,有了已经可以证实的风险。而reason的意思是比较弱的,它仅是出自合理逻辑判断所得的结论,尚未到达具体的、物质性的事实的程度,所以它跟proof还是有一点距离的。因此我觉得把证据这个字眼换成根据、依据似乎是比较贴切的。中文里,当我们说一个论点有根据、有依据,就表示这个论点是based on sound judgment。当你说,你“有合理依据怀疑……的风险”,这是你已经 identified a risk based on sound judgment。而我们把a reasonable risk 当成 a risk identified based on sound judgment 似乎是可以的……事实上,我们可以合理地怀疑、有理由、有依据、有根据的怀疑,但是当我们有了证据之后,就不必怀疑了——可以直接断言、下结论啦!

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
语境 May 18, 2014

的确,语境很重要。So it seems to me, reasonable risk 大概可以有两种理解。
In the first, “reasonable” means, well, reasonable, and acceptable is its underlying meaning. For example:
This is a reasonable risk, and one worth taking.
Where do we draw the line between "this is a reasonable risk" and "this is foolhardy"?

In the second, “reasonable” can be understood as plausible, believable, credible, definitely without the underlying meaning t
... See more
In the first, “reasonable” means, well, reasonable, and acceptable is its underlying meaning. For example:
Where do we draw the line between "this is a reasonable risk" and "this is foolhardy"?

In the second, “reasonable” can be understood as plausible, believable, credible, definitely without the underlying meaning that it’s acceptable. As Phi noted, this is a contracted usage posing challenge in understanding and rendering into Chinese.

Speaking of contracted usage, I can recall another instance. The client sent me a file for proofreading with a translator note saying s/he couldn’t make of the meaning of ‘postal decision' or 'postal procedure’: (邮政决定? No way!)

They identified three benchmark indicators for achieving ‘real compliance’, and Peru was given until 30 September 2010 to meet those standards or be subject to a postal decision on suspending trade in Bigleaf Mahogany. After several exchanges and bilateral meetings, the Secretariat expressed its opinion that Peru ‘had arguably made substantial progress on the indicators’ by the deadline so the postal procedure was not initiated.

At first I was also puzzed. but I did some research and made an educated guess about these words. It seems alright because the client never complained about it.

Loise wrote:

若说,a reasonable person 是一个假想的、标准情况下的自然人,那么,a risk as believed to exist by a reasonable person 应该是一种在假想的,标准情况下的判断所推知的风险。这样说来,我觉得说a reasonable risk 是一个合情合理的判断下、合乎常理的判断所得知的风险,甚至是一种一般标准情况下可以想见的合理程度的风险、适当程度的风险似乎也无不可。这又回到了最普通的语境里使用reasonable risk的意思:take a reasonable risk,表示适当地冒险,承担一个合理程度的风险。
作者在写作时,心里想到的reasonable的意思也可能是双重、多重的,它可能既表示a moderate degree,也表示它是一个合乎理性逻辑、合理判断的风险,也是a risk as believed to exist by a reasonable person。翻译,有时候需要尊重原文的多义性和模糊性。

Collapse

Loise
Loise
France
French to Chinese
+ ...
谢谢,JH! May 18, 2014

J.H. Wang wrote:

Loise wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

How about this:
这样感觉更像中文的习惯表达。

Loise
Loise
France
French to Chinese
+ ...
postal decision May 18, 2014

我不确定真的了解postal procedure的意义,但我想,如果把postal decision当成:a decision to initiate a postal procedure,应该合乎文义,翻成中文也比较达意。

至于你对a reasonable risk的理解,我也比较倾向支持第二个理解:在常理判断下,被认为可能存在的风险。

然而,即使是在合同文本里,不是所有的用语都是合同用语,有些用语只是一般用语而已,若是强把它理解�
... See more
我不确定真的了解postal procedure的意义,但我想,如果把postal decision当成:a decision to initiate a postal procedure,应该合乎文义,翻成中文也比较达意。

至于你对a reasonable risk的理解,我也比较倾向支持第二个理解:在常理判断下,被认为可能存在的风险。

然而,即使是在合同文本里,不是所有的用语都是合同用语,有些用语只是一般用语而已,若是强把它理解为合同用语,反而有误解的风险。如果我们把 a reasonable risk 理解为 a risk as believed to exist by a reasonable person,让我担心的是:既然如此,那么除非合同内的其他内容有相关说明,或resonable person、reasonable risk、或其他reasonable XXX重复出现的用法,否则撰写合同文本的人怎么可能把如此重要的内容简化成 a reasonable risk?

个人浅见。

Alan Wang wrote:

In the second, “reasonable” can be understood as plausible, believable, credible, definitely without the underlying meaning that it’s acceptable. As Phi noted, this is a contracted usage posing challenge in understanding and rendering into Chinese.

Speaking of contracted usage, I can recall another instance. The client sent me a file for proofreading with a translator note saying s/he couldn’t make of the meaning of ‘postal decision' or 'postal procedure’: (邮政决定? No way!)

They identified three benchmark indicators for achieving ‘real compliance’, and Peru was given until 30 September 2010 to meet those standards or be subject to a postal decision on suspending trade in Bigleaf Mahogany. After several exchanges and bilateral meetings, the Secretariat expressed its opinion that Peru ‘had arguably made substantial progress on the indicators’ by the deadline so the postal procedure was not initiated.

At first I was also puzzed. but I did some research and made an educated guess about these words. It seems alright because the client never complained about it.

Loise wrote:

[Edited at 2014-05-18 05:18 GMT]
Collapse

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
Local time: 09:20
English to Chinese
Good thoughts May 18, 2014

jinachen wrote:

wherestip wrote:
Although it is used in a legal context, I think the definition of "reasonable" is quite nebulous.

When I was with a law office, “reasonable" quickly became the favorite vocabulary of every new analyst who worked there. At the time it drove me crazy, as I thought "reasonable" = "within reason" = having acceptable reasons = argument is logical etc., yet at the same time it was a shifting and fuzzy standard that I could not pin down.

After learning about law, I realize "reasonable doubt" in criminal law context and the "reasonable person" in civil law context are so important in law that these concepts are pounded into law students. In fact, "reasonable doubt" was supposed to be "reasonable doubt" of a "reasonable person". Considering this, no wonder "reasonable" holds a special place. When it comes to standards of proof, at least in Canada it is often explained quickly as "reasonable doubt" being lower than "on a balance of probabilities", which is 51% technically, but higher than an "air of reality", and that "beyond a reasonable doubt" being much higher than "on a balance". This explanation is not rigorous and leaves quite a range if we are thinking along the ruler of percentages, but is useful enough.

Inheriting this train of thought, I could think what is expressed in the original sentences is:
1. where "reasonable" doubt can get you aquitted in a criminal trial, "reasonable" risk (identified by a "reasonable person") is enough to suspend business, like "reasonable" grounds is enough for a warrant
2. where you find deviation from standard to be "reasonable" (based on what a "reasonable person" would agree with), you have to consider it a potential risk

This is a very interesting discussion, I learned a lot about the translation of this sensitive word. Thanks for sharing, Alan, Phil, wherestip and others.

Your thoughts are as enlightening as Steve’s reference. I learned a lot too. Thank you!

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
English to Chinese
同意 May 18, 2014

Loise wrote:

其实,合同中之所以使用“reasonable ” 这样的措辞,就是要规避繁琐的举证责任。也就是说,只要我可以合理推断存在这样的风险,我就有权中止合作。无需给出确凿无疑的证据。这是对控方有利的一种措辞。

在刑事诉讼中,控方举出的证据要能够排除一切合理怀疑(beyond reasonable doubt)。这里的“reasonable” 意思一样,但却是有利于辩方的。也就是说,我只要合理地怀疑证据的可靠性,就可以推翻控罪,无需给出证据来证明被告的清白。

所以,还是 jyuan-us 说的对,reasonable 是一柄双刃剑。翻译公司收客户 $ 0.20/word 是 reasonable ,付给译者 $0.02/word 也是 reasonable。

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
English to Chinese
inconsistency May 18, 2014

Alan Wang wrote:
而在同文另外一句中,合理两字直接译了出来。
Any reasonable inconsistency between a factual circumstance and a standard should be considered a risk with potential adverse impacts.
现实情况与标准之间存在的任何合理范围内的不一致的地方都应视为具有潜在负面影响的风险。

IMO,这句实际上是对“reasonable risk” 的定义或说明。“reasonable inconsistency” 也应该理解为您所说的第二种意义,即“inconsistency identified by a reasonable person" , 而不是“合理范围内的”。

Loise
Loise
France
French to Chinese
+ ...
“合理推断存在……的风险”的翻译挺好的。 May 18, 2014

Fargoer wrote:

其实,合同中之所以使用“reasonable ” 这样的措辞,就是要规避繁琐的举证责任。也就是说,只要我可以合理推断存在这样的风险,我就有权中止合作。无需给出确凿无疑的证据。这是对控方有利的一种措辞。

这就是这句话让我皱眉头的地方了,我想象自己是签合同的一方:只要我可以合理推断存在这样的风险,就有权中止合作。分明是让“我”占便宜的条款。若换了位置:只要对方可以合理推断存在这样的风险,就有权中止与我的合作——那我得好好地考虑是否同意这样的条款,是否要请求换个字眼。

[Edited at 2014-05-18 09:37 GMT]

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
postal decision May 18, 2014

These two links may help:

Article XV Paragraph 2: http://cites.org/eng/disc/text.php

5th paragraph: http://cites.org/eng/disc/how.php

Still it's not enough and needs some guesswork.

Actually the end client asked: Is it possible to translate ‘postal decisio
... See more

Actually the end client asked: Is it possible to translate ‘postal decision’ and ‘postal procedure’ literally?

This is less asked. As i see it, if it is translated literally into Chinese, no one would know what they are meant. 邮政决定? 邮政程序?
Collapse

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
English to Chinese
也是猜 May 18, 2014

Alan Wang wrote:

Actually the end client asked: Is it possible to translate ‘postal decision’ and ‘postal procedure’ literally?

This is less asked. As i see it, if it is translated literally into Chinese, no one would know what they are meant. 邮政决定? 邮政程序?

根据您给出的上下文,我猜这里的“postal decision” 是“信函决定书(或裁定书)”,而“postal precedure”是“函告程序”(大概是起草决定书、送交邮局投递、存档备案等程序吧?)。

参考下面链接中关于“postal decision”的说明。

http://www.patas.gov.uk/tmaadjudicators/tmayourhearing.htm

[Edited at 2014-05-18 11:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-18 11:26 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
via mail May 18, 2014

Fargoer wrote:

Alan Wang wrote:

根据您给出的上下文,我猜这里的“postal decision” 是“信函决定书(或裁定书)”,而“postal precedure”是“函告程序”(大概是起草决定书、送交邮局投递、存档备案等程序吧?)。

参考下面链接中关于“postal decision”的说明。

http://www.patas.gov.uk/tmaadjudicators/tmayourhearing.htm

http://www.legalfill.com/freeform/california/localcounty/contracosta/tr122_Req-am.pdf

You will be notified of the Court’s decision by mail. It is important that you supply the Court with your correct address and telephone number to ensure you receive the Court’s ruling on your Request to Vacate Civil Assessment.

Yes, I agree with Fargoer. It's another way of saying "a court's decision by mail".

[Edited at 2014-05-18 11:52 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation is approximation by guesstimation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »