pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:06
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 15, 2006

Surprisingly, nobody, yet, talks about the Winter Olympics at Torino. The Chinese translation of Torino are 杜林 (from Taiwan)and 都靈(from China & Hong Kong)。 As translators, which one do we prefer?

Richard Creech
Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Interesting Feb 15, 2006

That's fascinating. So the simple mentioning of the city's name has a political component to it. Can you tell us what the characters mean literally?

Go Flying Tomato!

[Edited at 2006-02-15 22:15]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 12:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
Go Flying Patriots! Feb 16, 2006

Richard Creech wrote:

That's fascinating. So the simple mentioning of the city's name has a political component to it. Can you tell us what the characters mean literally?

Go Flying Tomato!

Neither one of the Chinese names for Torino is a correct one because both of they were transliterated from the English counterpart, Turin. What did Shakespeare say? A rose smells just the same even if it had another name. I really don't care wether London be called London or Londre or that vast land of Russia be named Siberia or China or Khitan or something else.

When Tornados or Hatchets fly, there will be Patriots on the way. Make sure that the American GIs don't shed their blood for nothing!

[Edited at 2006-02-16 01:10]

adj600
adj600
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
When in Rome, do as Romans do. Feb 16, 2006

pkchan wrote:

Surprisingly, nobody, yet, talks about the Winter Olympics at Torino. The Chinese translation of Torino are 杜林 (from Taiwan)and 都靈(from China & Hong Kong)。 As translators, which one do we prefer?

Translators provide a service to make people overcome language barriers. If I know my audience is from Taiwan, I use 杜林; if from China & Hong Kong, I use 都靈, just remember the fundamental rule that you need to make them understand. If I don't know who my audience is, I use 都靈 to cover the majority.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 16:06
Chinese to English
Not political? Feb 17, 2006

Richard Creech wrote:

Go Flying Tomato!

[Edited at 2006-02-15 22:15]

I think Dulin the first one looks nice. Du the same as Dufu the poet, lin for trees. The second Duling is OK. Du for capital city. ling for (not sure) - doesn't mean so much to me, but I am not a Chinese and not familiar with the rules for transliteration of foreign names (generally there are some rules about it, I guess these conform to those).

Really I don't think politics comes into it, more a matter of style, and pronunciation (aesthetics and euphony). I think I like the pronunciation (the tones) of the first one 4,2 , over the second 1,2, but I never question that, just have to learn it! I learnt my Chinese in Mainland BTW.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Metrogeist Feb 17, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

I think Dulin the first one looks nice. Du the same as Dufu the poet, lin for trees. The second Duling is OK. Du for capital city. ling for (not sure) - doesn't mean so much to me, but I am not a Chinese and not familiar with the rules for transliteration of foreign names (generally there are some rules about it, I guess these conform to those).

Really I don't think politics comes into it, more a matter of style, and pronunciation (aesthetics and euphony). I think I like the pronunciation (the tones) of the first one 4,2 , over the second 1,2, but I never question that, just have to learn it! I learnt my Chinese in Mainland BTW.

"Duling" means "Metrogeist". It is not a bad proper name at all.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
“STANDING OVATION” Feb 17, 2006

TURIN (Reuters) - Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin struck gold to capture Russia's 12th successive Winter Olympics pairs title on Monday with a breathtaking display of acrobatic jumps and synchronised spins.
The Russians dramatically pipped their main rivals China's Zhang Hao and Zhang Dan -- who crashed heavily after an attempted throw quadruple Salchow went wrong -- with a personal best combined total of 204.48.
……
China's Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo settled for their se
... See more
TURIN (Reuters) - Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin struck gold to capture Russia's 12th successive Winter Olympics pairs title on Monday with a breathtaking display of acrobatic jumps and synchronised spins.
The Russians dramatically pipped their main rivals China's Zhang Hao and Zhang Dan -- who crashed heavily after an attempted throw quadruple Salchow went wrong -- with a personal best combined total of 204.48.
……
China's Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo settled for their second successive Olympic bronze with a score of 186.91.
……
Zhang and Zhang had been expected to challenge the Russians for the gold but their routine went horribly wrong 38 seconds into their performance.
The last competitors to take centre stage, Zhang Dan crashed into the side barrier and was left sprawled on the ice after she fell on their opening jump and for a while it seemed the Chinese couple's medal bid had come to an abrupt end.

STANDING OVATION

Zhang Hao helped his dazed partner to her feet before guiding her slowly to the barrier and after consulting their coach, Zhang Dan, bravely returned to the ice more than five minutes later to finish their programme.
Despite the interruption, their display earned them a combined total of 189.73 and a standing ovation from more than 6,000 roaring fans at the Palavela rink.
"We are challenging the extreme limits of what a human being can do," Zhang Dan said after limping on to podium with her left knee heavily strapped.
……
Zhang and Zhang became China's most successful Olympic figure skaters after winning their nation's first silver medal in the discipline.

For details, see http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-02-14T002144Z_01_L13743108_RTRUKOT_0_TEXT0.xml&related=true
Collapse

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
冬奧又來了 Feb 7, 2014

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sochi (Russian: Со́чи, IPA: [ˈsot͡ɕɪ]) is a city in Krasnodar Krai, Russia, located on the Black Sea coast near the border between Georgia/Abkhazia and Russia. The Greater Sochi area, which includes territories and localities subordinated to Sochi proper, has a total area of 3,526 square kilometers (1,361 sq mi)[4] and sprawls for 145 kilometers (90 mi) along the shores of the Black Sea near the Caucasus Mountains.[citation needed] The
... See more

Sochi (Russian: Со́чи, IPA: [ˈsot͡ɕɪ]) is a city in Krasnodar Krai, Russia, located on the Black Sea coast near the border between Georgia/Abkhazia and Russia. The Greater Sochi area, which includes territories and localities subordinated to Sochi proper, has a total area of 3,526 square kilometers (1,361 sq mi)[4] and sprawls for 145 kilometers (90 mi) along the shores of the Black Sea near the Caucasus Mountains.[citation needed] The area of the city proper is 176.77 square kilometers (68.25 sq mi).[4] According to the 2010 Census, the city had a permanent population of 343,334,[5] up from 328,809 recorded in the 2002 Census,[12] making it Russia's largest resort city. It is one of the very few places in Russia with a subtropical climate, with warm to hot summers and mild winters.

Sochi 音譯∶索契;索奇; 素溪
Collapse

Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
索契 is used in mainland China Feb 9, 2014

It seems Taiwan prefers "素溪".

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
譯同文 Feb 9, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

8 年前起這個題,就是心感百人百譯有創意,而官譯也有中港台3 大主流。隨著97回歸,港譯已歸邊,緊隨中譯。地名除採用音譯、意譯外,港台多用音意俱全的譯法, "素溪" 就是一個明顯的例子了。Sochi 是以河流為名,音譯成“素溪”就有素白河流的意思。當然河是大,溪是小,這可算是不太合意,有點牽強。至於“索奇”也不俗,但太似“索K” 吸毒不好。個人會譯成“素姬”,給她一個女性高貴的名字,不過,會被視為“昂山素姬”,那就不是本人的原意了。香港人譯名講求吉利,無論如何“索契”是顯不出來。

[Edited at 2014-02-09 04:58 GMT]

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
Local time: 22:06
English to Chinese
并无不妥 Feb 9, 2014

pkchan wrote:

Sochi 是以河流為名,音譯成“素溪”就有素白河流的意思。當然河是大,溪是小,這可算是不太合意,有點牽強。

台湾把 sochi 译为“素溪”自有道理。
Sochi River 本身就是一条不大的河流,好像只有45公里长,说成“溪”并无不妥。相比之下,台湾最大的河流“浊水溪”,全长185公里呢。:)

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
雪花加4環 Feb 9, 2014

在開冪禮/式,其中一個雪花打不開,無獨有偶,開不成的竟是紅環的位置。有說,俄羅斯觀眾只�
... See more

在開冪禮/式,其中一個雪花打不開,無獨有偶,開不成的竟是紅環的位置。有說,俄羅斯觀眾只看到張開的5 環。

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j17EXTQET8
http://news.sohu.com/20140209/n394631503.shtml

[Edited at 2014-02-09 15:43 GMT]
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
索契 Feb 9, 2014

pkchan wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

8 年前起這個題,就是心感百人百譯有創意,而官譯也有中港台3 大主流。隨著97回歸,港譯已歸邊,緊隨中譯。地名除採用音譯、意譯外,港台多用音意俱全的譯法, "素溪" 就是一個明顯的例子了。Sochi 是以河流為名,音譯成“素溪”就有素白河流的意思。當然河是大,溪是小,這可算是不太合意,有點牽強。至於“索奇”也不俗,但太似“索K” 吸毒不好。個人會譯成“素姬”,給她一個女性高貴的名字,不過,會被視為“昂山素姬”,那就不是本人的原意了。香港人譯名講求吉利,無論如何“索契”是顯不出來。

[Edited at 2014-02-09 04:58 GMT]

對啊。‘索契’ 好似 ‘索(攞)命賣身契‘。令人有點太多負面聯想。:o

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
same here. Feb 9, 2014

adj600 wrote:

pkchan wrote:

Translators provide a service to make people overcome language barriers. If I know my audience is from Taiwan, I use 杜林; if from China & Hong Kong, I use 都靈, just remember the fundamental rule that you need to make them understand. If I don't know who my audience is, I use 都靈 to cover the majority.

Same here, for practical reasons. We have to be practical to be professional.

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
两种翻译风格 Feb 10, 2014

pkchan wrote:

Sochi (Russian: Со́чи, IPA: [ˈsot͡ɕɪ]) is a city in Krasnodar Krai, Russia, located on the Black Sea coast near the border between Georgia/Abkhazia and Russia. The Greater Sochi area, which includes territories and localities subordinated to Sochi proper, has a total area of 3,526 square kilometers (1,361 sq mi)[4] and sprawls for 145 kilometers (90 mi) along the shores of the Black Sea near the Caucasus Mountains.[citation needed] The area of the city proper is 176.77 square kilometers (68.25 sq mi).[4] According to the 2010 Census, the city had a permanent population of 343,334,[5] up from 328,809 recorded in the 2002 Census,[12] making it Russia's largest resort city. It is one of the very few places in Russia with a subtropical climate, with warm to hot summers and mild winters.

Sochi 音譯∶索契;索奇; 素溪

一种较为本土化(素溪),一种较为异域化(索契)。

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Winter Olympics

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »