P.B:
P.B:
Italy
Local time: 00:40
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 20, 2018

Dear French native speakers hello!

I have to ask a very in-depth feedback from you all, regarding the difference between the 2 terms above.

They are both used within an interface, the latter being under review and therefore we are trying to make translations consistent.

I was advised to change all "État" recurrences into "Statut", given the two terms ar einterchangeable and "Statut" more frequently used.

Despite that I cannot do without notici
... See more
Dear French native speakers hello!

I have to ask a very in-depth feedback from you all, regarding the difference between the 2 terms above.

They are both used within an interface, the latter being under review and therefore we are trying to make translations consistent.

I was advised to change all "État" recurrences into "Statut", given the two terms ar einterchangeable and "Statut" more frequently used.

Despite that I cannot do without noticing that, as in the English language", some sort of "collocations" exist, meaning some group of words recurring more and more frequently cannot just be mismatched to make the translation consistent, for example the English term to translate being "general status", I find the perfect match is "État general" and I do not think changing it into "Statut general" would be correct.

On top of that I believe there is some sort of difference in meaning between "État" and "Statut": I find the first expressing something more about a "physical" condition/situation while "Statut" something focusing more on the recording of such condition, such as a feedback froma controlling device or such...but really I am note sure about that.

I would really appreciate your help in clarifying this.

Thank you very much,

Regards,

Paola
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

État/Statut

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »