Stron w wątku:   < [1 2]
Would you continue to translate if all that was left was post-editing of machine translation?
Autor wątku: Steve Kerry
inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Local time: 05:50
francuski > niemiecki
+ ...
No, certainly not Dec 24, 2012

As I have said before, I find post-editing of MT extremely dull and uninspiring. I would definitely find something else to do if all that was left to do was post-editing, but I don't believe that this will happen in the near future (and not even in the remote future).

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:50
niemiecki > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Crete Dec 24, 2012

Dinny wrote:

I could decide for early retirement and finally have time to enjoy this wonderful island of Crete.

One of my favourite places, I'm sooo jealous! A little flat overlooking the harbour in Ag Nik would do me... smiles.

Steve K.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 23:50
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Don't know Dec 24, 2012

I don't know how to answer the question, because I can't envisage post editing of machine translation being all that was left. From any observation I have seen, machine translation has resulted in more translation work for translators, not less.

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:50
niemiecki > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Off topic... Dec 25, 2012

A very Merry Christmas to all of you very individual and wonderful people!

Steve K. x

Aurora Humarán
Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:50
angielski > hiszpański
Anything but a post-editor Dec 26, 2012

Not even if they offered me 100 euro per morpheme. They need us to increase the corpus. The more we post-edit, the less they will need us. I have the feeling that if they (MT software vendors and LSPs interested in getting more money out of this business) conclude we will only post-edit if paid more, they will see that as an investment, and will start ifffering high (even very very high) rates. Hopefully, our colleagues will be increasingly aware of the danger that does to the profession. So: ... See more
Not even if they offered me 100 euro per morpheme. They need us to increase the corpus. The more we post-edit, the less they will need us. I have the feeling that if they (MT software vendors and LSPs interested in getting more money out of this business) conclude we will only post-edit if paid more, they will see that as an investment, and will start ifffering high (even very very high) rates. Hopefully, our colleagues will be increasingly aware of the danger that does to the profession. So: NO to post-editing no matter the rate.

Au

ps: I am not against MT when the software acts as another tool for us, ie, we invest in Systran, but what happens in our PCs stays in our PCs (no confidentiality at risk and no feeding of the greedy corpus).

psOT: wish you all a great 2013!
Collapse

Maria Perry
Maria Perry  Identity Verified
Portugalia
angielski > portugalski
I love machine translation because... Dec 26, 2012

... it saves me all the boring work and leaves only the challenging bit to do. The bit that requires language skills above average as well as more familiarity with the subject than the machine itself.

Gina W
Gina W
USA
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

francuski > angielski
No way Dec 26, 2012

Dinny wrote:

A few times I have been asked to do post-editing of machine translations, and I have always refused. When I think of how irritated I get when having to proofread a poor translation made by a poor translator, I can just imagine how furious I would be having to deal with MT.

Same here. I always respond explaining why I don't do post-editing of machine translations. They probably don't necessarily care about my explanation but I tell them anyway.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Kanada
angielski
+ ...
cultural imperialism by another name? Dec 26, 2012

david young wrote:

- I my field - science - the slightest mistake in retranscibing a number can have catastrophic consequences, and one thing translation software guarantees, for all its faults, is that numbers (and units) are not modified.

Is that really, or is that just an illusion? I am sure that in some language pairs, in certain fields and certain contexts, translation software will get the numbers wrong, or the units wrong, or both. (ZH<>EN comes to mind, but I’m sure this is not an isolated case.)

And I don’t think machine translation can produce even semi-respectable output in certain domains. Marketing comes to mind, or even general texts—to translate letters properly you likely need to shuffle entire paragraphs around, and I don’t think MT can do that yet.

Or maybe our culture will just be forced to change to conform to the machine’s output. That has precedence, but IMHO that is cultural imperialism.

[Edited at 2012-12-26 22:47 GMT]

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you continue to translate if all that was left was post-editing of machine translation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »