Trados on a Mac - which version of Microsoft Windows?
Thread poster: Alison Smith
Alison Smith
Alison Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:20
French to English
Sep 15, 2017

Hi everyone,

After resisting Trados for a long time, I want to run it on my Mac.

I have to install Microsoft Windows first but the Windows 10 system comes in Home or Pro versions and there is a £100 difference in the price tag, the Home version being the cheaper.

Does anybody know if I can install Windows 10 Home and then buy Trados?

I'd appreciate any help - IT isn't my strong point !

Thanks,
Alison Smith

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 06:20
Yes, you can Sep 15, 2017

Alison Smith wrote:

Does anybody know if I can install Windows 10 Home and then buy Trados?

Yes, you can!

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 12.15.55

Alison Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 15, 2017

Thanks for letting me know that it works. Do you think the security features are enough on Windows Home?

Last thing I want is to be working on a project and find I'm hit by a virus. I've heard that Windows is much more prone to viruses compared to the Mac.
My Mac has never once had any security issue whereas my old Windows laptop had to be cleaned up more than once.

Do you have any view on this?

Thank you !

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 06:20
Isolate the VM from the Internet? Sep 15, 2017

Alison Smith wrote:

Do you have any view on this?

Thank you !

I'm not a heavy user of Win 10, others will fill in here. But I assume that Microsoft's protection is already sufficient for "normal use".

I guess that Studio doesn't need access to the internet itself: you can download and send packages at the Mac side. So this would allow isolating the VM from internet access.

Of course there are Studio tasks that will require access to internet – only you can decide whether you'll need them (plug-ins, web resources etc.).

I guess that even the minor updates for Studio can be downloaded via Safari. I'm sure that upgrades and service packs can be downloaded from your SDL account.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Windows and virus Sep 15, 2017

Windows 10 Home will restart the system when it wants after installing updates, and you can't stop it. You also can't opt out of specific updates. Only Windows 10 Pro lets you control what is installed, and when the computer is restarted. For me, this rules out the Home version.

Windows comes with security software, but in tests comparing how many viruses different software stops, Windows' virus protection only scores moderately well.

A Mac is not immune to viruses. It'
... See more
Windows 10 Home will restart the system when it wants after installing updates, and you can't stop it. You also can't opt out of specific updates. Only Windows 10 Pro lets you control what is installed, and when the computer is restarted. For me, this rules out the Home version.

Windows comes with security software, but in tests comparing how many viruses different software stops, Windows' virus protection only scores moderately well.

A Mac is not immune to viruses. It's just that viruses focus more on Windows because there are more Windows systems.

I would not run any business system without specific security software, as new attacks are developed fast, and they can wipe out an entire system in a few minutes if you're unlucky. Webroot SecureAnywhere has kept me virus free for many years, but Bitdefender and Kaspersky are also good solutions.
Collapse

Alison Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Which Windows version Sep 15, 2017

Thanks to both of you - you've been very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados on a Mac - which version of Microsoft Windows?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »