Poll: When you have a task that you completely dread, how do you tackle it?
Лице кое објавува дискусија: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ПЕРСОНАЛ НА СТРАНИЦАТА
08:10

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When you have a task that you completely dread, how do you tackle it?".

View the poll results »



 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Португалија
Local time: 11:32
Член (2007)
англиски на португалски
+ ...
N/A 08:39

It depends on what the task is! Not so long ago, when some days I had more than one translation project, I always started with the one that seemed the most difficult. Other tasks I don’t like, such as bookkeeping, I leave to the experts…

 
Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise  Identity Verified
Белгија
Local time: 12:32
Член (2020)
француски на холандски
+ ...
Freelancing 08:39

Luckily we are freelancers. We don't have to accept anything we truly hate doing.

Christine Andersen
 
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Данска
Local time: 12:32
Член (2003)
дански на англиски
+ ...
Break it down and beat it 09:19

I do not accept translation tasks or paid work that I will really dread. I tell the client to find someone else. They can probably find someone who knows how to do it, or knows the subject area better than I do. All good clients respect an honest 'beyond my scope'.

Otherwise, if I can't avoid a task I am dreading, I try to work out a strategy.

Deep breath, why do I dread it? What is the problem, and do I know anyone who could help or give advice? What would they say? Or
... See more
I do not accept translation tasks or paid work that I will really dread. I tell the client to find someone else. They can probably find someone who knows how to do it, or knows the subject area better than I do. All good clients respect an honest 'beyond my scope'.

Otherwise, if I can't avoid a task I am dreading, I try to work out a strategy.

Deep breath, why do I dread it? What is the problem, and do I know anyone who could help or give advice? What would they say? Or how would they tackle it? Am I just afraid of all those people watching me? They're only human!

What is the best way to start? Is there any way to make it easier?
Should I get the worst over first, or is it better to begin from the bottom and take the edge off the biggest issue?

Am I just short of time, and need to get moving?

If you cut a job down to size, you can concentrate on the task and make progress.
▲ Collapse


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератори на овој форум
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you have a task that you completely dread, how do you tackle it?






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LinguaCore
AI Translation at Your Fingertips

The underlying LLM technology of LinguaCore offers AI translations of unprecedented quality. Quick and simple. Add a human linguistic review at the end for expert-level quality at a fraction of the cost and time.

More info »