Disk space consumption with Across PE 5.5
Inițiatorul discuției: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:42
din finlandeză în franceză
Dec 24, 2012

I installed Across Personal Edition 5.5 (in a virtual machine, to be on the safe side). I had 15.7 GB of disk space free on my hard drive before the installation:

Once the installation was complete, free disk space was down to 11.4 GB:

That was after I deleted the ZIP downloaded from the Across site, the folder expanded from that ZIP and after I emptied the Recycle Bin. That's 4.3 GB that vanished in thin air.

Next, I went to Control Panel > Program and Features and I had a look at what got installed today (Across was the only new software I had installed in quite many days):

If I add the disk space used by Across (which incorrectly reports itself as 5.00.0, although I definitely have the latest 5.5 installed) and by the various Microsoft SQL Server components, I only get 255 MB. That leaves more than 4 GB unaccounted for!

I dug into c:\\program files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\....\\DATA and I found three big Across databases, 512 MB each:

Still about 2.5 GB missing in action! Where did they go?

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
din germană în lituaniană
temp Dec 24, 2012

what about c:\users\[your account]\AppData\Local\Temp ?

Dominique Pivard
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Four empty Across folders in Temp Dec 24, 2012

Egidijus Slepetys wrote:
what about c:\users\[your account]\AppData\Local\Temp ?

I did have a look there: there were four empty folders (across, setup_en, patch_en, setup) and a few very small log files. When I rebooted, free disk space did increase from 11.4 to 12.7 GB, so some leftovers were clearly cleaned. This sets the net impact of the Across PE install to exactly 3 GB.

[Edited at 2012-12-24 15:56 GMT]

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:42
din engleză în maghiară
it's the SQL Dec 25, 2012

software and databases that are installed together with Across that take up so much disk space

Dominique Pivard
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
1.5 GB is still unaccounted for Dec 25, 2012

Zoltán Kulcsár wrote:
software and databases that are installed together with Across that take up so much disk space

That still leaves 1.5 GB unaccounted for. See the video I just made about the installation process:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/12/25/commented-installation-of-across-personal-edition-5-5/
http://wordfast.fi/blog/?p=656
or
http://youtu.be/zT4x3xGUa_U?hd=1

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Transit uses the same SQL MSDE engine Dec 25, 2012

Transit uses the same SQL MSDE engine. And it's unstable and slow. How about Across' connection?

Why on earth do CAT tool developers think they have to add SQL MSDE .

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disk space consumption with Across PE 5.5

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »