Thread poster: Jennifer Sabir (X)
Jennifer Sabir (X)
Jennifer Sabir (X)
United States
Local time: 06:45
French to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2021

For affordability and traveling, I wondered what mobile phone and computer device do you feel is best and most adaptable to translation tools for digital nomad translators?

Also, are there preferred specs to have a portable device to handle CAT tools, files, project management etc.? Or, is it best if you keep all translation tools in the cloud?

I've always been a MAC and iPhone user, but thinking of changing for adaptability to more diverse resources.
Thank you
... See more
For affordability and traveling, I wondered what mobile phone and computer device do you feel is best and most adaptable to translation tools for digital nomad translators?

Also, are there preferred specs to have a portable device to handle CAT tools, files, project management etc.? Or, is it best if you keep all translation tools in the cloud?

I've always been a MAC and iPhone user, but thinking of changing for adaptability to more diverse resources.
Thank you for your feedback.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
. Jul 15, 2021

I take it you already have a Mac laptop and a dual sim unlocked iPhone? In that case, you are good to go.

Why buy something new if you are already set?

You can always replace your phone or laptop on the go.

Macbooks tend to be lightweight, and there are solutions to run Windows apps if you need (including by installing Windows alongside MacOS or through a Virtual Machine).

A dual sim unlocked iPhone can be used with a local sim and for tetherin
... See more
I take it you already have a Mac laptop and a dual sim unlocked iPhone? In that case, you are good to go.

Why buy something new if you are already set?

You can always replace your phone or laptop on the go.

Macbooks tend to be lightweight, and there are solutions to run Windows apps if you need (including by installing Windows alongside MacOS or through a Virtual Machine).

A dual sim unlocked iPhone can be used with a local sim and for tethering.

Are you new to translation or do you already have your preferred translation tools? If you are new, you may need time to figure out your needs vs the market and try out various solutions. Some agencies require specific tools, but yes, cloud solutions are also frequently used.

Some major CAT tools are only Windows-compatible and more translation tools are available for that OS, but MacOS and GNU/Linux users still have many options, plus the addition of online solutions makes the OS less relevant.

I would favor cross-platform/open format solutions that can be used in different OS environments, to avoid vendor lock-ins and make it easy to transition between your current solution (Apple products) and your future one.

[Edited at 2021-07-15 04:08 GMT]
Collapse

Jennifer Sabir (X)

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:45
Italian to English
+ ...
Living (and working) on the road Jul 15, 2021

Hi Jennifer
I've lived and worked on the road for years, now have a home base in the mountains but still totally mobile ready to go.
A 15'6 is big enough to work on and light enough to carry. It'll fit in those pesky cabin bag sizers they have in airports too.
You can get a folding laptop stand that will put the (matte) screen level with your eyes and add a Bluetooth/Usb keyboard and mouse to have a healthy ergonomic setup that will all fit in a laptop bag (get a good one). The
... See more
Hi Jennifer
I've lived and worked on the road for years, now have a home base in the mountains but still totally mobile ready to go.
A 15'6 is big enough to work on and light enough to carry. It'll fit in those pesky cabin bag sizers they have in airports too.
You can get a folding laptop stand that will put the (matte) screen level with your eyes and add a Bluetooth/Usb keyboard and mouse to have a healthy ergonomic setup that will all fit in a laptop bag (get a good one). The Logitech K380 is a great Bluetooth keyboard (feels just like a good laptop) and you can use it on three devices, computer, phone, etc. for both Windows and Mac.

Think where you will be recharging.
Having a phone and computer with long battery life (up to a day) is good but sooner or later you're going to have to recharge, so solar panels in a camper van, house sitting, renting a hotel room or apartment, plugging into a bar works in a push but is not a great option imo. A camper van is awesome and works really well as a mobile office, having a hidden safe for the computer, phone and cash is a good idea, a dog and/or a "beware of the dog" sign are good deterrents. If charging from a vehicle you'll need a 12V adapter (220V + inverter = really noisy + inefficient) and some computer brands can be expensive, the HP power adapter was over 100 bucks, Lenovo about 25.

For an Internet connection, most modern phones are fine, you might have to change sim cards depending on network coverage or if travelling to different countries but I've never found this to be a big deal or high cost, just check before you go and choose wisely. WIFI points in bars, hotels can be good for big downloads but look for a mobile phone service provider with a generous data bundle (about 20-30 Gb/month).

I prefer to use my own CAT, but have/will use web-based ones too. A web-based one is sure to use more data.

Personally I use PCs (Lenovo L15) and Android (Pixel 4a) but Apple-Mac should be fine too as long as you have decent battery life in both and no overheating, a good pair of sound-deadening earbuds (Sennheiser Cx 300, €25) work fine for subtitling. For battery life it's better to plug the phone in and use USB tethering rather than a WIFI hotspot.

[Edited at 2021-07-15 07:52 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jennifer Sabir (X)
Ann Marie Bohan

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Define travel Jul 15, 2021

Regular business flights? Expat downshifting by colonizing some cheap beach destination? Backpacking? Or RVing?

For international stuff, be aware of different phone and LTE bands used in different countries, and how US "unlocked" phones vary in their degree of unlocked-ness and physical ability to access foreign bands

[Edited at 2021-07-15 11:04 GMT]

Jennifer Sabir (X)

Jennifer Sabir (X)
Jennifer Sabir (X)
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great advice!...Question on QA tools Jul 15, 2021

Thanks Jo, your advise is quite detailed and great advice. It is much appreciated.
What is your preferred CAT tool? Also, what is your preferred QA tool for accuracy and best practices?

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Hi Jennifer
You can get a folding laptop stand that will put the (matte) screen level with your eyes and add a Bluetooth/Usb keyboard and mouse to have a healthy ergonomic setup that will all fit in a laptop bag (get a good one). The Logitech K380 is a great Bluetooth keyboard (feels just like a good laptop) and you can use it on three devices, computer, phone, etc. for both Windows and Mac.

Think where you will be recharging.
Having a phone and computer with long battery life (up to a day) is good but sooner or later you're going to have to recharge, so solar panels in a camper van, house sitting, renting a hotel room or apartment, plugging into a bar works in a push but is not a great option imo. A camper van is awesome and works really well as a mobile office, having a hidden safe for the computer, phone and cash is a good idea, a dog and/or a "beware of the dog" sign are good deterrents. If charging from a vehicle you'll need a 12V adapter (220V + inverter = really noisy + inefficient) and some computer brands can be expensive, the HP power adapter was over 100 bucks, Lenovo about 25.

For an Internet connection, most modern phones are fine, you might have to change sim cards depending on network coverage or if travelling to different countries but I've never found this to be a big deal or high cost, just check before you go and choose wisely. WIFI points in bars, hotels can be good for big downloads but look for a mobile phone service provider with a generous data bundle (about 20-30 Gb/month).

I prefer to use my own CAT, but have/will use web-based ones too. A web-based one is sure to use more data.

Personally I use PCs (Lenovo L15) and Android (Pixel 4a) but Apple-Mac should be fine too as long as you have decent battery life in both and no overheating, a good pair of sound-deadening earbuds (Sennheiser Cx 300, €25) work fine for subtitling. For battery life it's better to plug the phone in and use USB tethering rather than a WIFI hotspot.

[Edited at 2021-07-15 07:52 GMT]

Jennifer Sabir (X)
Jennifer Sabir (X)
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, looking outside the Apple line. Jul 15, 2021

Yes, I do. The devices are started to over-heat so I was looking at other viable options. Additionally, yes, I am fairly new to the translation field. Your advice is appreciated. Thank you so much for your knowledge and experiences.

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best technology whilst traveling

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »