Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Two translators in a couple: good or bad idea?
Thread poster: Charles Lucien Melingui
Charles Lucien Melingui
Charles Lucien Melingui  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 09:01
Member (2021)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 21, 2021

knowing the difficulties of freelance life, is two translators in couple the best decision?

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
I think I've encountered such an example Oct 21, 2021

Except they tried to monopolize a niche language pair at one company and got busted doing confirm-all & done 1-minute reviews on each other's work

Charles Lucien Melingui wrote:

knowing the difficulties of freelance life, is two translators in couple the best decision?

Jean Dimitriadis

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Collaboration Oct 21, 2021

Are they going to be collaborating on the same projects or working independently on projects of their own?

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Could be Oct 22, 2021

It could be lovely. You'd have a ready made revision club. You have someone on hand when you just can't work out how to phrase a tricky sentence. When you go out to dinner you can amuse yourselves by critiquing the grammer in the menu ... what's not to like?

(Some of these things apply to my own relationship, although my partner is a writer and editor, not a translator)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder
Christine Andersen
Philippe Etienne
Jean Dimitriadis
expressisverbis
Kardi Kho

Charles Lucien Melingui
Charles Lucien Melingui  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Member (2021)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is true Oct 22, 2021

It is true what Rachel said. But is it important for them to also have the same language pair for example?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:01
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It can work well Oct 22, 2021

I know of at least one successful couple - a British man married to a Danish woman.
I believe they are retired now.
He translated from Danish into English, and she translated English into Danish, but they checked and proofread each other's work.

I am sure there are others who do it with their own variations among users of this site.

I have collaborated with my own husband - he is Danish, I am English - on one or two projects, but he is not really a transla
... See more
I know of at least one successful couple - a British man married to a Danish woman.
I believe they are retired now.
He translated from Danish into English, and she translated English into Danish, but they checked and proofread each other's work.

I am sure there are others who do it with their own variations among users of this site.

I have collaborated with my own husband - he is Danish, I am English - on one or two projects, but he is not really a translator and prefers not to have anything to do with most of my work!
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Josephine Cassar
Philippe Etienne
Thomas T. Frost

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Different languages would help Oct 22, 2021

I worked with my wife in the same language pairs for 25 years. There are pros and cons, and obviously much depends on your particular personalities and relationship.

On balance, it was a bad idea for us, and we gradually moved into different niches with different clients and stopped checking each other’s work. It is extremely hard to critique the work of one’s spouse without causing offence!!!

But I certainly wouldn’t ditch someone for being a translator. You can
... See more
I worked with my wife in the same language pairs for 25 years. There are pros and cons, and obviously much depends on your particular personalities and relationship.

On balance, it was a bad idea for us, and we gradually moved into different niches with different clients and stopped checking each other’s work. It is extremely hard to critique the work of one’s spouse without causing offence!!!

But I certainly wouldn’t ditch someone for being a translator. You can always change job, but a good woman is hard to find… 🎻🎻🎻
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Philippe Etienne
Christine Andersen
expressisverbis

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
I couldn't imagine anything worse Oct 22, 2021

For me, opposites attract so I'd prefer to date/marry someone in a completely different line of work. Most translators I know are painfully boring, pedantic nerds and therefore in my eyes extremely unattractive.

Tom in London
Abba Storgen (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Only if Oct 22, 2021

Only if they are holding each other tight, all night, and whispering sweet nothings, bilingually.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 22, 2021

When I worked as a PM, there was a couple I used to send work to. I remember I sent them some instruction manuals once. No problem, I proofread it and it was fine. Then I sent them an update and it was very strange, the updates were written in a completely different style to the original part. Both styles were fine, just different. Turned out one had done the original files and the other did the update. Remind me why we send updates to the same translator again...

Adieu
Christine Andersen

Kay Denney
France
French to English
. Oct 22, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

For me, opposites attract so I'd prefer to date/marry someone in a completely different line of work. Most translators I know are painfully boring, pedantic nerds and therefore in my eyes extremely unattractive.

I remember a long time ago reading about a translator who was asked what she did for a living at a party. When she explained, the other person answered breezily that even though she was perfectly bilingual, she could never be a translator because she "had too much personality". Sounds like this would be a great match for you!

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Do not generalise, please Oct 22, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

In every line of work there are some who are "painfully boring and pedantic nerds".

Regarding what you say about "extremely unattractive", there is no accounting for tastes.

You have made your point several times about what translators mean for you (and I can try to understand you), and I think we are very aware of that. Please do not insist.

[Edited at 2021-10-22 16:35 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kay Denney
Thomas T. Frost
Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Christine Andersen
Rachel Waddington

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Pedantic? Oct 22, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

I happen to know a very funny, witty and attractive translator, but I guess she wouldn't be interested in someone who considered her boring and pedantic.

'Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are.'

expressisverbis
Kay Denney
Charles Lucien Melingui
Christine Andersen
Christopher Schröder
matt robinson

Kay Denney
France
French to English
. Oct 22, 2021

If it's the fact that they are both freelancers that's the problem, then it's not limited to translators.
And there are plenty of salaried translators working in agencies, for the UN, the EU and so on...

expressisverbis

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
After working as a translator for 14 years ... Oct 22, 2021

expressisverbis wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

In every line of work there are some who are "painfully boring and pedantic nerds".

Regarding what you say about "extremely unattractive", there is no accounting for tastes.

You have made your point several times about what translators mean for you (and I can try to understand you), and I think we are very aware of that. Please do not insist.

[Edited at 2021-10-22 16:35 GMT]

... I think I've earned the right to generalise. We have to be honest here: spending 8 hours a day for years on end translating mind-numbingly boring technical texts is not a normal job for anyone and would drive a lot of people nuts.

Abba Storgen (X)

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two translators in a couple: good or bad idea?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »