Bulgarian keyboard layout question
Thread poster: RichardPerry
Mar 17, 2010

This is not a translation question, exactly, but is a general question about using computers in Bulgaria.

I've discovered that there are (at least) three Bulgarian keyboard layouts that are (or have been) commonly used in Bulgaria.

1. The Bulgarian typewriter layout: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bulgarian_BDS_layout.svg
2. The traditional pho
... See more
This is not a translation question, exactly, but is a general question about using computers in Bulgaria.

I've discovered that there are (at least) three Bulgarian keyboard layouts that are (or have been) commonly used in Bulgaria.

1. The Bulgarian typewriter layout: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bulgarian_BDS_layout.svg
2. The traditional phonetic layout: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Keyboard_Layout_Bulgarian_Phonetic.png
3. The newer phonetic layout: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Keyboard_Layout_Bulgarian_Phonetic2.png

Can anyone tell me which of these three keyboards would be most familiar to mobile phone users in Bulgaria? That is, if I were designing a keyboard for a touchscreen phone, which of these keyboard layouts would I use?

Thanks,

RP
Collapse

Mushu
Mushu
Local time: 15:30
Bulgarian to French
+ ...
One keyboard layout does not fit all Mar 17, 2010

IMHO, it all depends on your target group.

Both the BDS ("typewriter") and the phonetic keyboard layout have their dedicated users. This is why usually they are both offered as options to choose between, namely, in touchscreen phones applications.

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Phonetic Mar 17, 2010

I would recommend phonetic.

Unfortunately, the layout you are pointing is not phonetic - neither 2, nor 3.

This is the layout I am speaking of: http://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/Файл:Bulgarian_Phonetic_layout.svg

[Edited at 2010-03-17 08:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-17 09:55 GMT]

Yassen Tounev
Yassen Tounev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
New Pbhonetic Mar 28, 2010

I do agree with Mihail. The ЯВЕРТЪ iz the most popular one among Bulgarian users.
However newer Phonetic ЧШЕРТЪ layout is adopted as a new national standard - BDS 2006 for Bulgarian keyboard layout and it is integrated in Windows Vista/Windows 7, together with the traditional old BDS 1976 typewriter layout.

[Edited at 2010-03-28 23:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-28 23:19 GMT]

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I meant traditional phonetic Mar 29, 2010

I have to thank Yassen for the clarification in regard to the standards.

Neither keyboard, pointed initially, is not the "traditional" phonetic kb layout. The link I show is the one I regard as traditional.

May be the future belongs to the "new" phonetic layout - after 20 to 30 years, may be. I am in my 30's now, and I am not planning neither to change my habits, nor to die soon. So I am going to use "traditional" phonetic quite a bit of time.

invguy
invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
Ditto to Mihail and Yassen Mar 29, 2010

I could only add that, as far as it refers to mobile phones, the phonetic keyboard layout could hardly have an alternative.

The purpose of adopting the old Bulgarian standard layout (called "BDS" after the acronym of "Bulgarian National Standard", or simply "Bulgarian" in Windows) ONLY makes sense if you use a full-size computer keyboard for typing lots of text. It was meant to mimic the layout of Bulgarian mechanical typing machines where the leading rules were those of the 10-fing
... See more
I could only add that, as far as it refers to mobile phones, the phonetic keyboard layout could hardly have an alternative.

The purpose of adopting the old Bulgarian standard layout (called "BDS" after the acronym of "Bulgarian National Standard", or simply "Bulgarian" in Windows) ONLY makes sense if you use a full-size computer keyboard for typing lots of text. It was meant to mimic the layout of Bulgarian mechanical typing machines where the leading rules were those of the 10-finger typing system - e.g. to ensure that the most often used keys are positioned under the strongest fingers (a consideration which is obviously obsolete today).

Phonetic layout is used mainly by two categories of users: a) those who started using computers in the 80s when there was no BDS layout for computers; and 2) the "chat generation" who grew up with IRC and ICQ and have no problem at all to recognize Latin letters, thus finding it more convenient to follow phonetic similarity.

Although I have no statistical data at hand, I could confidently assume that these two groups constitute at least 3/4 of mobile phone users who actually TYPE TEXT on their phones (not just type numbers or press command keys). As for the remaining 1/4 - well, I guess they'd just have to go with the flow

[Edited at 2010-03-29 14:14 GMT]
Collapse

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
"Traditional" phonetic is not presenting in Vista, but only in Win 7 Mar 29, 2010

Yassen Tounev wrote:
... and it is integrated in Windows Vista/Windows 7, together with the traditional old BDS 1976 typewriter layout.

[Edited at 2010-03-28 23:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-28 23:19 GMT]

As long as I know (and I am quite sure) the traditional phonetic ЯВЕРТЪ кb layout is NOT integrated in Vista. A colleague of mine's had Vista, and we were searching a ЯВЕРTЪ layout for his Vista workstation.

Hopefully, a lot of Bulgarian kb layouts are integrated in Windows 7, indeed. And there is no longer a need to search for whatever related to keyboard layout in Windows 7

Petar Kehayov (X)
Petar Kehayov (X)
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
penetration of different Bulgarian keyboard layout on mobile devices Jun 18, 2010

Richard,

None of the three layouts would be recognized visually from mobile users which seek cyrillic input on mobile device. The reason for this is that there are no keyboards with phonetic letters (labels on the keys) in Bulgaria.
The majority (90%+) of the mobile users used latin QWERTY layouts mapped to traditional phonetic layout (if cyrillic input is present at all).
The cyrillic layouts that are popular in Bulgaria are (from most to least):

• - 2. - most spread
  • - 1. - partially spread - popular with people that have some typewriting experience
  • - 3. - almost not used. bundled with the new OS (win7) as compliment to the rest

---------------------------------
online generic and specialized dictionaries
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bulgarian keyboard layout question

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »