Is this the state of the translation industry today?
Thread poster: George Trail
George Trail
George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:48
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 14

https://www.translationdirectory.com/job_00071320.php#google_vignette

I've been a professional translator for 15 years. And I ask: what kind of person offers an opportunity of interpretation work for only 10 Euros an hour?

Is this the state of the translation industry today? I don't know about you but I don't know how much longer I can cling
... See more

I've been a professional translator for 15 years. And I ask: what kind of person offers an opportunity of interpretation work for only 10 Euros an hour?

Is this the state of the translation industry today? I don't know about you but I don't know how much longer I can cling on. I'm talking about CAT tools - but aren't there still plenty of people out there who will send translators they are interested in hiring scans of what they want translated as opposed to digitised files (Word, Excel, whatever)?
Collapse

Natasha Cloutier
Dalia Nour

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:48
English to Turkish
It's real Mar 14

George Trail wrote:

Apparently it's the going rate in India. Not bad that though, you can pay for the monthly subscription fee in just an hour!

Robert Rietvelt
Dalia Nour
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Eh? Mar 14

George Trail wrote:
Is this the state of the translation industry today? I don't know about you but I don't know how much longer I can cling on. I'm talking about CAT tools - but aren't there still plenty of people out there who will send translators they are interested in hiring scans of what they want translated as opposed to digitised files (Word, Excel, whatever)?

Not sure what are you saying here? You want customers to go back to sending faxes?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:48
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Going backwards Mar 14

George Trail wrote:

Well, for one thing this is interpretation rather than translation, and it's clearly at the low end of the low end, given the origin of the poster in question and the price. You don't want to be competing down there.

I'm not sure what relevance of CAT tools is, but surely there is no possible benefit to you in working with image-only files like the scans you mention?

Dan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angie Garbarino
Oksana Weiss
expressisverbis

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:48
French to English
. Mar 15

George Trail wrote:

It appears to be the standard rate for virtual teachers too. OK so you can do it in the comfort of your own home, you don't waste time and money getting to your destination, but still, 10 euros an hour for the services of a highly trained professional... I was teaching at a higher rate than that last century.

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:48
English to Swedish
+ ...
But it's India Mar 18

Isn't 10 dollars an hour quite a lot in India?
The GDP per capita in India is 9,183 dollars while in Europe it is about 5 times higher.
So in my logic, it would correspond to about 50 dollars an hour in Europe.

[Edited at 2024-03-18 21:43 GMT]

Christel Zipfel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »