Susanne Döring  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 07:54
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 4, 2022

Hi,

since some days the suggestions under the tab "MyMemory" got worse - sometimes I notice this happens when my internet connection seems a bit weak. But now since two days I only get a message in white on red that reads:

translator.json.JSONException: A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at 1 [character 2 line 1]

This happens in both my current projects, both word docs from different sources, one is nearly 40% finished and at the beginning I could work a
... See more
Hi,

since some days the suggestions under the tab "MyMemory" got worse - sometimes I notice this happens when my internet connection seems a bit weak. But now since two days I only get a message in white on red that reads:

translator.json.JSONException: A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at 1 [character 2 line 1]

This happens in both my current projects, both word docs from different sources, one is nearly 40% finished and at the beginning I could work as usual.

I closed everything, opened again, several times - same.
I deinstalled cafetran, reinstalled - same.

Now I downloaded the newest version from the website, installed (after deinstalling the previous version) - same.

That was all I could think about solving the problem myself - I hope someone here can again help me out.

Thanks for reading!

Susanne
Collapse

Muses Inc
Kamal Idkaidek

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
server down? Dec 4, 2022

Susanne Döring wrote:

Hi,

This happens in both my current projects, both word docs from different sources, one is nearly 40% finished and at the beginning I could work as usual.

I closed everything, opened again, several times - same.
I deinstalled cafetran, reinstalled - same.

Now I downloaded the newest version from the website, installed (after deinstalling the previous version) - same.

That was all I could think about solving the problem myself - I hope someone here can again help me out.

Thanks for reading!

Susanne

I have occasionally experienced this problem and have discovered that MyMemory sometimes goes off-line, but only for a while. As you say, your Internet connection "goes a bit weak". So maybe the problem is with your Internet connection.

[Edited at 2022-12-04 13:30 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Have a back up solution Dec 4, 2022

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000200809-machine-translation-service-stopped-working

As per the official article, "The best solution in such cases is to switch to another MT service or use the ones available via the web interface as described here."

You can get a Google or
... See more
https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000200809-machine-translation-service-stopped-working

As per the official article, "The best solution in such cases is to switch to another MT service or use the ones available via the web interface as described here."

You can get a Google or Microsoft translate API and use them as a backup when MyMemory is down. The first tier is essentially free. You can find detailed instructions online.

[Edited at 2022-12-04 14:41 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Install the update Dec 4, 2022

Changes in CTE 11.2.3 update:

- updated API for MyMemory MT online service.

You have to install the separate update. The full version isn’t updated yet, it seems.

Susanne Döring

Susanne Döring
Susanne Döring  Identity Verified
Jordan
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update - ok Dec 5, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Changes in CTE 11.2.3 update:

- updated API for MyMemory MT online service.

You have to install the separate update. The full version isn’t updated yet, it seems.

Thank you, Hans - that might be the point. The version I downloaded yesterday was still 11.2.2 - I'll search for this and hope I can find out how to install it.

As to the other answers: I checked my internet connection. Everything is working fine and I know the error report that I get if it is not looks different.
Using another service - I tried, but that costs me more time than it saves, actually.

Thank you, everyone.

Edit: special thanks to Hans - search on cafetran lead me to Igor's advice how to do this, now I restarted the program and it seems to work again. This was exactly the advice I needed.

[Edited at 2022-12-05 04:44 GMT]

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
Update link Dec 5, 2022

Susanne Döring wrote:

Edit: special thanks to Hans - search on cafetran lead me to Igor's advice how to do this, now I restarted the program and it seems to work again. This was exactly the advice I needed.

[Edited at 2022-12-05 04:44 GMT]

Could you post a link to that advice, please? I thought I'd try to update my own installation of Cafe Tran to forestall any problems of the kind discussed in this thread, but after downloading the newest version I found myself in an apparently endless loop where installation could not be completed because of permissions issues. (That may be because I didn't install to the default location.)

An automatic update process for Cafe Tran, as is standard for most software nowadays, would come in handy.

Hans Lenting
Tom in London

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Update Dec 5, 2022

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 08.19.33

Hi Philip,

I agree with you that an automated update process would be very welcome.

In the meantime you can download the update here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5o7nf95z02podv7/20221202_update.zip?dl=1

See this article for update instructions: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000067006

[Edited at 2022-12-05 07:20 GMT]

Philip Lees

Emanuela Di Rosa
Emanuela Di Rosa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:54
English to Italian
SITE LOCALIZER
I am experiencing the same issue Dec 5, 2022

The MT has been offline since Friday. Thank you to Susanne for posting and to Hans for being so helpful!

[Modificato alle 2022-12-05 09:31 GMT]

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too Dec 5, 2022

I am still using CT 10.8 Cornetto and I am experiencing the same issue.

I have contacted Translated.com (the owners of MyMemory) to enquire about this. It might be helpful if others could do the same.

https://translated.com/welcome

[Edited at 2022-12-05 12:44 GMT]

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
Update Dec 6, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

In the meantime you can download the update here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5o7nf95z02podv7/20221202_update.zip?dl=1

See this article for update instructions: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000067006

[Edited at 2022-12-05 07:20 GMT]

Thanks Hans. I've now got it sorted. I found that I had to link CTE explicitly with my Proz account in order to get it to do the update, but once I did that everything went smoothly.

Hans Lenting

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not linked Dec 6, 2022

Philip Lees wrote:

.... I had to link CTE explicitly with my Proz account in order to get it to do the update, but once I did that everything went smoothly.

My CTE is not linked to Proz - I purchased and registered it independently. So I'm not sure what I should do.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Upgrade Dec 6, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

I'm afraid that you will have to upgrade to version 11 of CafeTran Espresso, in order to get this fixed, Tom.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Can't Dec 6, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I'm afraid that you will have to upgrade to version 11 of CafeTran Espresso, in order to get this fixed, Tom.

Unfortunately, Hans, that would mean I would have to update my Mac operating system from Catalina, which means I would have to purchase a new computer and that is not an option for me at the present time. I find it regrettable that I'm left in this position, with CTE unusable (unless the issue is fixed by the owners of MyMemory). It was working perfectly before. I always get angry with Apple for leaving users behind by making their software obsolete- now I find the same applies to CTE as well.

For me to purchase a new computer now, and go through all the associated problems of upgrading my entire system, because of this one little thing, is not a very nice Christmas present.

[Edited at 2022-12-06 08:40 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Catalina Dec 6, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Unfortunately, Hans, that would mean I would have to update my Mac operating system from Catalina

Do you mean that the Java version that is required for CafeTran Espresso 11 cannot run on macOS Catalina?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
DOn't know Dec 6, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Unfortunately, Hans, that would mean I would have to update my Mac operating system from Catalina

Do you mean that the Java version that is required for CafeTran Espresso 11 cannot run on macOS Catalina?

This is the version of Java that I have on my computer. It is up to date for this computer.

Screenshot

And this is what I see when I try to use the MyMemory API

Screenshot

[Edited at 2022-12-06 09:20 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My Memory not working

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »