Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Ask Anything About How To Launch or Grow Your Translation Career
Thread poster: Renvi Ulrich
Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Why? Aug 23, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
One thing that is frowned upon is if you post a message whose main purpose is to drive traffic to your own website. Some columnists have tried such an approach in the past: they would regularly write something on their blog on their own website, and then post a link with a short description here in the forums. That kind of self-promotion will get you into trouble quickly, no matter how useful the content is.

Why, though? I'm part of many online communities, and I've never seen the treatment like you mentioned anywhere else. On the contrary, I and many members of these communities find the personal blog posts shared by such columnists to be interesting.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Satan: ease of ignoring it, perhaps? Aug 23, 2023

Mr. Satan wrote:
I'm part of many online communities, and I've never seen the treatment like you mentioned anywhere else. On the contrary, I and many members of these communities find the personal blog posts shared by such columnists to be interesting.

I thought about your question, and I think it depends on the ease of ignoring it.

On a forum like ProZ.com's forum, you have to click a link and wait for a page to load before you can see whether the content is worth reading or worth ignoring. It would bother me far less on e.g. a Discord, WhatsApp, Reddit or email group. With e.g. mailing list communities, there are usually rules for subject lines that would warn a user that a post is of the "click through" type, but even if there aren't, email programs are designed to make skipping a message -- while also being able to glance at the message to evaluate whether to continue with it -- very simple and efficient.

With ProZ.com's forum, all you see is the post title, so it takes more time and effort to get to the point where you can evaluate whether the post wastes your time or not. So, using the forum as a platform to advertise your own website would lead to a higher degree of frustration among its participants.

Mr. Satan (X)

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:03
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Personally... Aug 23, 2023

I think people are entitled to propose what they like here if it's within the rules and in the context of our profession. Then it's up to us to judge and participate if we think it adds value to our profession. If it doesn't, it will be quickly forgotten.

P.L.F. Persio
Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder
Mr. Satan (X)
Matthias Brombach
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:03
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
How to launch or grow your translation career Aug 23, 2023

Prisca Deutsch wrote:

Now after several years I would like to get established in the field, but since I haven't been active, I don't have a lot of experience, it seems truly overwhelming to try to get a foot in the door.

Search the forums and you will find answers to your questions. There isn’t much that hasn’t been discussed over the years. A variety of opinions and perspectives.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Jorge Payan
Barbara Carrara

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Renvi Ulrich
Renvi Ulrich  Identity Verified
Cameroon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
All Sep 4, 2023

Hi all, Just a reminder that this week again, I would be pleased to spend some time responding to those having questions, and sharing advice on how to start or grow as a freelance translator. Hopefully, some colleagues on the forum will be pleased to share their suggestions as well. A great one to all of you!

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Ah, some light on a mystery Sep 4, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Dale Carnegie's ... hints about how to ingratiate yourself with people (by calling them by their first name at every available opportunity)

I have a couple of acquaintances who do that. Charlie this, Charlie that, drives me up the wall. They are, I think, the kind of people who would follow advice from books of that kind. Mystery perhaps solved as to why they do it. Ta

Colin Smith

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Looking the other way... Sep 8, 2023

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I have a couple of acquaintances who do that. Charlie this, Charlie that, drives me up the wall.

Back when I worked in the business world, mainly in London, there were two behaviours that puzzled me. The first was the above, and the second was certain individuals who, when you were introduced to them by a mutual colleague, would shake hands with you but would look away while doing so. As if manual contact and eye contact was too much too handle all at once. I doubt they got that from DC's book as it gives a terrible impression. Quite common in the UK though.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask Anything About How To Launch or Grow Your Translation Career

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »