Thread poster: jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)

Local time: 08:25
French to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2011

Hi all,

So I received a copy of the speech that I will be interpreting, and translated it, which is of course great, but now I'm more confused as to what to do.

Initially I was planning on using my digital voice recorder and doing simul off of that, but now that I have the speech I wonder if it's best to just make any changes, and notes directly on to it. I fear that that using my DVR and referring to my printed copy would be too much multi-tasking and I might get flus
... See more
Hi all,

So I received a copy of the speech that I will be interpreting, and translated it, which is of course great, but now I'm more confused as to what to do.

Initially I was planning on using my digital voice recorder and doing simul off of that, but now that I have the speech I wonder if it's best to just make any changes, and notes directly on to it. I fear that that using my DVR and referring to my printed copy would be too much multi-tasking and I might get flustered.

What would you do?

Any tips on how to refer to it, but not look like I'm reading?

Thanks!

[Edited at 2011-11-03 16:46 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandre Alcântara
Alexandre Alcântara
Brazil
Local time: 09:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In my humble opinion Nov 3, 2011

Hello Jen,

I think it depends on how much time you have to analyse the speech. I didn`t quite understand the purpose of the digital recording, but if I receive the speech (text), say, half an hour before the event, I`ll do a quick sight translation using the paper of the text to make notes. If I have more time than that, I`ll start filling in the gaps and if there is a lot of time I`ll do a complete translation, but I won`t read it on the event. It will serve as reference for terms
... See more
Hello Jen,

I think it depends on how much time you have to analyse the speech. I didn`t quite understand the purpose of the digital recording, but if I receive the speech (text), say, half an hour before the event, I`ll do a quick sight translation using the paper of the text to make notes. If I have more time than that, I`ll start filling in the gaps and if there is a lot of time I`ll do a complete translation, but I won`t read it on the event. It will serve as reference for terms that might slip my mind, and it usually comes out better than the translation. One thing I do sometimes, is to use voice recognition for the sight translation to see how much work needs to be done. I hope this helps.

Best regards
Alex
Collapse

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:25
Portuguese to English
Interesting one Nov 3, 2011

This is relevant to me at the moment Jen, because I have received a speech to be made by a professor at a conference, and am in the process of translating it as we speak.

It is so, so convoluted and full of very unplain English, that I am doing a full translation - otherwise I'll get lost during the simultaneous - I don't yet know whether there will be a cabin (for me to hide in) or whether I'll be on display - it could even end up being a consecutive.

Either way I'm de
... See more
This is relevant to me at the moment Jen, because I have received a speech to be made by a professor at a conference, and am in the process of translating it as we speak.

It is so, so convoluted and full of very unplain English, that I am doing a full translation - otherwise I'll get lost during the simultaneous - I don't yet know whether there will be a cabin (for me to hide in) or whether I'll be on display - it could even end up being a consecutive.

Either way I'm definitely using the translation I made - if I don't read it verbatim I'll most certainly be relying heavily on it, whether I'm on display or not - there's no other way with the complexity of the text - I do, of course, have the luxury of having plenty of time to prepare it, and fully intend to practise it as well. - I know from experience that it isn't always that way.

I'd stick with your written translation as a guide if I were you.

Good luck!
Collapse

jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)

Local time: 08:25
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 3, 2011

Alexandre: Thank you for your point of view and advice. The digital voice recorder would be used to record the speaker. It is apparently a much better way to do consecutive. One would record the speaker and then do simultaneous off of the playback. Research has shown that this method provide a more ... See more
Alexandre: Thank you for your point of view and advice. The digital voice recorder would be used to record the speaker. It is apparently a much better way to do consecutive. One would record the speaker and then do simultaneous off of the playback. Research has shown that this method provide a more accurate and complete interpretation. http://www.erudit.org/revue/meta/2007/v52/n2/016070ar.html

Mark: My speech is pretty convoluted as well. A politician (actually a French Mayor) is the speaker and I too have the luxury of preparing. So I'll just practice at home, and as you say, rely heavily on it. Thanks for sharing your advice!

[Edited at 2011-11-03 17:54 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting with printed copy of speech

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »