How to avoid inactive mental response during interpretation sessions
Thread poster: Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:28
English to Thai
+ ...
Sep 7, 2015

I have an experience with Japanese - Thai interpretation in an auto parts factory in Bangkok which lasted for 5 days. There were 3 instructors and one interpreter: I. The interpretation was smooth on earlier sessions but I was gradually inactive on the 3rd, 4th and 5th day since I needed to speak for about 8 hours a day for total five days.
My interpretation became mainly brief and imperfect on the 5th day (It was partly due to demonstrative manual practice with work pieces by trainees whe
... See more
I have an experience with Japanese - Thai interpretation in an auto parts factory in Bangkok which lasted for 5 days. There were 3 instructors and one interpreter: I. The interpretation was smooth on earlier sessions but I was gradually inactive on the 3rd, 4th and 5th day since I needed to speak for about 8 hours a day for total five days.
My interpretation became mainly brief and imperfect on the 5th day (It was partly due to demonstrative manual practice with work pieces by trainees where I needed not speak clearly what they should do.) I understood that I was too tired since the client hired only one interpreter for this employee training event.
For simultaneous interpretation, the international interpretation quality standards specify maximum working hours and break hours per day. I see no such clear requirement for consecutive interpretation.
I am going to work in the similar manner again, but the time duration will last for many months. I do not want to be in the same pitfall again since the interpretation work site and training details are very critical.
Could anyone tell me how to avoid such possible mistakes.

Many thanks in advance.

Soonthon L.
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
That happened to me too Sep 7, 2015

And I don't have a solution, except that there should be another interpreter to help also for consecutive sessions which are long and intensive as yours.

Good luck!
Giusi

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:28
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
NEVER go it alone Sep 7, 2015

You should always work in a team of two interpreters during such assignments. And consecutive is often much more demanding than simultaneous. Tell your client very clearly (mention your previous experience) that they would be doing themselves a disservice if they continued to hire you as a single interpreter. On a related note, conference interpreters/boothmates always take turns every 20 or 30 minutes to keep their performance up throughout the day.

Good luck with your future assi
... See more
You should always work in a team of two interpreters during such assignments. And consecutive is often much more demanding than simultaneous. Tell your client very clearly (mention your previous experience) that they would be doing themselves a disservice if they continued to hire you as a single interpreter. On a related note, conference interpreters/boothmates always take turns every 20 or 30 minutes to keep their performance up throughout the day.

Good luck with your future assignments!

Steffen
Collapse

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got warm with your words Sep 7, 2015

Steffen Walter wrote:

Good luck with your future assignments!

Steffen

Many thanks. I find many supporters to maintain my best quality consecutive translation. [At first I thought I was too weak for such job. In fact I am relatively a tough guy for extreme works.]
I will take words of both Steffen and Giuseppina to take good care of my mission and to convey experiences toward more and more interpreters.

Soonthon L.

Inter-Tra
Inter-Tra  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Please, Please Colleagues Sep 8, 2015

You SHOULD RAISE AWARENESS among clients, that interpreters are NOT SLAVES or MANUAL WORKERS. Interpreters work with the brain, brain is not an AUTOMATED MACHINE, as Stefan nicely explained rotation/alternation is not an option. There are very few exceptions.

2 interpreters for such assignments.

Break a leg!

fb

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I shall do Sep 8, 2015

fbbest wrote:

You SHOULD RAISE AWARENESS among clients, that interpreters are NOT SLAVES or MANUAL WORKERS. Interpreters work with the brain, brain is not an AUTOMATED MACHINE, as Stefan nicely explained rotation/alternation is not an option. There are very few exceptions.

2 interpreters for such assignments.

fb

Thanks again. I shall convince this spectacular client about how to maintain good interpretation sessions.

Best regards,

Soonthon L.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:58
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The cup that cheers? Sep 8, 2015

Would a hot steaming cup of coffee (or tea, if you are an Indian) do the trick of waking up a lethargic brain?

But I agree, it is always best to work in tandem with a second interpreter to avoid these mental blanks.

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tea, coffee or a nap Sep 8, 2015

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Would a hot steaming cup of coffee (or tea, if you are an Indian) do the trick of waking up a lethargic brain?

But I agree, it is always best to work in tandem with a second interpreter to avoid these mental blanks.

Tea, coffee or a nap may do a trick. But I frequently find that a deep sleep [if possible] recovers the brain fatigue very effectively. That is, take a nap whenever an interpreter finds free time.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to avoid inactive mental response during interpretation sessions

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »