Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:08
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Jul 6, 2011

Dear Staff,

There are a number of askers in my language pairs who have multiple questions open, dating back several months (or even years), yet they are still submitting new questions to KudoZ. Rule 2.6 states that "Askers must close "help" questions. Close questions by selecting the answer deemed most helpful (and awarding it points, unless the question was posed as "not-for-points"). Askers who do not close their questions within an appropriate period of time are not permitt
... See more
Dear Staff,

There are a number of askers in my language pairs who have multiple questions open, dating back several months (or even years), yet they are still submitting new questions to KudoZ. Rule 2.6 states that "Askers must close "help" questions. Close questions by selecting the answer deemed most helpful (and awarding it points, unless the question was posed as "not-for-points"). Askers who do not close their questions within an appropriate period of time are not permitted to ask further questions. (Note that when no answer is deemed helpful, it is possible to close a question without selecting a most helpful answer.)"
I was wondering how many months (years?) you consider an "appropriate period of time" and how you enforce KudoZ Rule 2.6 after that.
Thank you!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I entirely agree! Jul 6, 2011

May I suggest that you send a support ticket reporting the person(s) who is/are keeping the many questions open?

Also, if you feel that one asker is being negligent about the management of his/her Kudoz questions, you can simply filter him/her out from view using the Dashboard. Over the years I have found that the best approach is to filter unpleasant or unreasonable askers, thus being able to forget them completely and only spent time on legitimate or reasonable askers.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Likewise! Jul 6, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

May I suggest that you send a support ticket reporting the person(s) who is/are keeping the many questions open?

Also, if you feel that one asker is being negligent about the management of his/her Kudoz questions, you can simply filter him/her out from view using the Dashboard. Over the years I have found that the best approach is to filter unpleasant or unreasonable askers, thus being able to forget them completely and only spent time on legitimate or reasonable askers.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:08
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The answer is in the FAQ Jul 6, 2011

http://www.proz.com/faq/2812#2812
2.2 - Is there a limit on the number of questions that I can ask?

Yes. Your daily limit (measured over a sliding 24-hr period) depends on your membership level. If you are not registered with ProZ.com, you can ask one (1) question per day. If you are registered but not member, you can ask five (5). If you are member, you can ask fifteen (15). There a
... See more

Yes. Your daily limit (measured over a sliding 24-hr period) depends on your membership level. If you are not registered with ProZ.com, you can ask one (1) question per day. If you are registered but not member, you can ask five (5). If you are member, you can ask fifteen (15). There are also weekly limits of 20 questions for registered non-members and 60 questions for members. If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking.
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:08
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Beating or abusing the system? Jul 6, 2011

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Yes. Your daily limit (measured over a sliding 24-hr period) depends on your membership level. If you are not registered with ProZ.com, you can ask one (1) question per day. If you are registered but not member, you can ask five (5). If you are member, you can ask fifteen (15). There are also weekly limits of 20 questions for registered non-members and 60 questions for members. If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking.

I know one particular person in my language pair who, from time to time asks questions at KudoZ, and always have maximum number of questions opened, and when she needs to ask a new question(s), she closes and grades one or two questions so that she will not exceed the limit and be able to ask further questions. What do you call this kind of attitude?

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:08
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
in theory maybe, but not in practice Jul 6, 2011

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:
The answer is in the FAQ ...
If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions

Thank you Katalin, I did see this as well, so I went to check one of the users' open questions and the total count is 13; the oldest dates back to February 2009. Same user asked 5 new questions just last month, so I'd say the "answer" you suggest is only hypothetical but doesn't work in real situations. Like I said, this is not an isolated issue. I have neither the time nor the energy to report each instance (besides, I wouldn't want to overwhelm the moderators ; ) That's why I started this topic, in hopes of receiving some clarification from site staff.

[Edited at 2011-07-06 08:01 GMT]

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
That is indeed a bit... Jul 6, 2011

negligent. But I seem to have got a few messages in my e-mail that said that the asker had got enough replies and did not answer so that the question was closed and the points awarded to the person with the most agrees/peer comments.

Is this type of procedure only followed if someone has requested a support ticket, then?

Yana Dovgopol
Yana Dovgopol
Local time: 23:08
SITE STAFF
Regarding KudoZ question Jul 6, 2011

Hello all,

@Ildiko
Thanks for your question.

Please note that as it has been already mentioned in this forum and in accordance with the FAQ:
"If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking."

Please note that if a
... See more
Hello all,

@Ildiko
Thanks for your question.

Please note that as it has been already mentioned in this forum and in accordance with the FAQ:
"If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking."

Please note that if any answer has not been provided in the KudoZ question, it will remain open and will not be taking into account to restrict the KudoZ activity till the first reply.

@Kirsten Bodart
Thank you for the question.

Please note that if a "help" question has received answers but not been closed within three days this FAQ takes effect and KudoZ question will be closed automatically in accordance with peer agreements.

If you have any other question you can always submit a support request.

Best regards,

Yana Dovgopol
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:08
English
+ ...
my humble opinion Jul 6, 2011

is that I wouldn’t so quickly call it an abuse.

Using KudoZ as an asker is unbelievably hard, and I really envy those people who regularly ask and, even more, those people who close promptly. I have so far asked only one question, I found it extremely hard to find a correct category for my question, and when I finally got answers I found it even harder to choose an answer. Perhaps those people—at least some of them—are just finding it hard the same way I do.

I use
... See more
is that I wouldn’t so quickly call it an abuse.

Using KudoZ as an asker is unbelievably hard, and I really envy those people who regularly ask and, even more, those people who close promptly. I have so far asked only one question, I found it extremely hard to find a correct category for my question, and when I finally got answers I found it even harder to choose an answer. Perhaps those people—at least some of them—are just finding it hard the same way I do.

I used to make all kinds of complaints back when I was purely an answerer. This all changed after I realized how hard it is to actually ask a question.

Perhaps there should be some official form of help to guide new people how to close questions. Asking in the forums would be inappropriate. So should we ask site guides? File support requests? Something else? If we can’t figure this out when we are still new then we will never learn how to close.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple questions left open, yet new ones keep coming

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »