jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:54
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Another use of a cashier's check Dec 11, 2021

When do I need a cashier's check?
Cashier’s checks are good for large purchases, such as a car or house sale, when you likely can't use a debit or credit card, and using cash is risky. These checks have extra security features — such as watermarks and sometimes signatures by two bank employees — that make counterfeiting more difficult. So when you purchase one from a bank or credit union, all parties can be confident that the transaction is secure and the risk of theft or fraud is mi
... See more
When do I need a cashier's check?
Cashier’s checks are good for large purchases, such as a car or house sale, when you likely can't use a debit or credit card, and using cash is risky. These checks have extra security features — such as watermarks and sometimes signatures by two bank employees — that make counterfeiting more difficult. So when you purchase one from a bank or credit union, all parties can be confident that the transaction is secure and the risk of theft or fraud is minimal.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/banking/cashiers-check-when-you-need-one-how-to-get-it
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Tina Vonhof (X)

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Cashier's check Dec 11, 2021

The only clients from whom I am willing to accept payment by check are law firms as I know they are honest and have worked with them for years. Otherwise, it is bank transfer, PayPal or nothing. If a new "client" offers me payment by cashier's check, I immediately write back and tell them that I only accept payment by PayPal and tell them about the "advance-check, Oh-golly, I-sent-you-the-wrong-check, I-overpaid-you, please-send-me-difference" scam. Understandably, I never hear back from them. I... See more
The only clients from whom I am willing to accept payment by check are law firms as I know they are honest and have worked with them for years. Otherwise, it is bank transfer, PayPal or nothing. If a new "client" offers me payment by cashier's check, I immediately write back and tell them that I only accept payment by PayPal and tell them about the "advance-check, Oh-golly, I-sent-you-the-wrong-check, I-overpaid-you, please-send-me-difference" scam. Understandably, I never hear back from them. I have squelched their efforts and have let them know that many translators are on to them. Mentioning "PayPal" seems to be the proverbial garlic flashed in front of a vampire and they go skittering away. Many years ago, I accepted payment by check from US clients but no more. Several years ago, I relented for several US clients. I got "Oh, gee, we sent you a check yesterday, it may take several weeks to reach you." If a US agency offers payment by check only (as was the case for a recent contact), I say no as it only gives them an opportunity to fudge on payment and blame the US Postal Service (which increasingly has much to answer for). When I worked as a translator in Japan, thirty days after delivery, I would betake myself to the agency/company and they would have the payment ready for me in cash, delivered in an envelope, which is the Japanese custom. I have never been ripped off by a Japanese agency. Kudos! Zenzai!Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Cash in envelope custom Dec 11, 2021

That custom sounds very reminiscent of how people partake in the joys of tax evasion in Europe or the Americas.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 12:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
@ Chei Dec 11, 2021

Don't even say 'no' to anything that looks like a scam - then you're giving them your email address.

Kevin Fulton
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thomas T. Frost
Adieu
Michele Fauble
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Liviu-Lee Roth

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Cashier's check Dec 13, 2021

Re: Adieu's comment on "underhanded payments in envelopes". It is a Japanese custom to make payment by including cash in an envelope. (The Japanese love cash). This is an esthetic rather than an underhanded practice. It keeps the money free of soiling and the recipient can put it safely in their pocket/purse/briefcase. Company employees traditionally receive payment in an envelope, a "pay packet" if you will. When nefarious types in Japan (such as yakuza/gangsters) are providing cash, the money ... See more
Re: Adieu's comment on "underhanded payments in envelopes". It is a Japanese custom to make payment by including cash in an envelope. (The Japanese love cash). This is an esthetic rather than an underhanded practice. It keeps the money free of soiling and the recipient can put it safely in their pocket/purse/briefcase. Company employees traditionally receive payment in an envelope, a "pay packet" if you will. When nefarious types in Japan (such as yakuza/gangsters) are providing cash, the money is usually handed over in briefcases. As a sidebar: in Greece use of the "fakelaki" (little envelope) is common in medical services. Although Greece has national health insurance, doctors get paid a pittance, so the family of a patient gives the doctor a fakelaki containing money. It is more of a reward than a bribe.Collapse

Jorge Payan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It may not be a cashier's cheque after all Dec 13, 2021

jyuan_us wrote:
"Casher check" is a rare animal in the business world. I have never received one, and I have never sent one out. ... The scammer doesn't know a lot about who is supposed to use a cashier check in the USA.

Or it could be that the scammer hopes that the victim (even one from the US) will not know the difference between a cashier's cheque and a different cheque, and will accept whatever he sends the victim because the victim was told that it is a "cashier's cheque" and may have heard that such cheques are more trustworthy.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
there we go again Dec 13, 2021

USA residents DO KNOW what a cashier check is, and what it id used for, as was explained in this thread.

That is why this very scam has been reported by USA-based translators and I don't remember anyone else in any other continent reporting it.

J L

Samuel Murray wrote:

Or it could be that the scammer hopes that the victim (even one from the US) will not know the difference between a cashier's cheque and a different cheque,

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
The mere mention of a cashier's check is a warning Dec 13, 2021

Although all of my current clients, foreign and domestic, pay via bank transfer, until a few years ago, previous American customers paid via normal commercial checks from their business accounts. The standard assumption when dealing with customers is that payment would be made according to the terms of our original agreement with no special arrangement as to the instrument of payment. I was never paid with a cashier's or certified check. Such payment would have been highly unusual. As far as I k... See more
Although all of my current clients, foreign and domestic, pay via bank transfer, until a few years ago, previous American customers paid via normal commercial checks from their business accounts. The standard assumption when dealing with customers is that payment would be made according to the terms of our original agreement with no special arrangement as to the instrument of payment. I was never paid with a cashier's or certified check. Such payment would have been highly unusual. As far as I know, obtaining a cashier's check in the United States involves making a personal appearance at the issuing financial institution. The few times I've used a cashier's or certified check (such as when purchasing an automobile) I've been charged a fee by the bank. I can't imagine a legitimate agency going through the hassle and expense of obtaining a cashier's check to pay a translator.Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cashier's check

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »