Joop Debrabandere
Joop Debrabandere  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 23:01
German to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 3, 2023

Hello colleagues,

Last week, I received the most crazy mail from an agency, in which they introduced a price grid for bilingual review. Well, you might think this is a joke, but it isn't.

It looks as follows

Perfect Match 10%
Context Match 10%
Repetition 30%
100% Match 30%
Fuzzy Match 95-99% 40%
Fuzzy Match 85-94% 60%
Fuzzy Match 50-84% 80%
No Match
... See more
Hello colleagues,

Last week, I received the most crazy mail from an agency, in which they introduced a price grid for bilingual review. Well, you might think this is a joke, but it isn't.

It looks as follows

Perfect Match 10%
Context Match 10%
Repetition 30%
100% Match 30%
Fuzzy Match 95-99% 40%
Fuzzy Match 85-94% 60%
Fuzzy Match 50-84% 80%
No Match 100%

What are your thoughts on this?
What a dystopian translation world we are now living in.
Currently I have a review job from them with about 4000 unpaid words (due to the high number of repetitions). So I decided I won't be reading the last 4000 words as they are simply not paid. I see no other solution. Or should I really review 4000 words for free??

Joop
Collapse

Marina Aleyeva
Joanna Rączka
philgoddard
SandraV

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Since you have accepted the job... Sep 3, 2023

Joop Debrabandere wrote:

Currently I have a review job from them with about 4000 unpaid words (due to the high number of repetitions). So I decided I won't be reading the last 4000 words as they are simply not paid. I see no other solution. Or should I really review 4000 words for free??

Joop

... you should read everything until the end, but refrain from accepting further similar jobs, IMHO.

Zea_Mays
Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ildiko Santana
Philip Lees
Jorge Payan

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:01
Danish to English
+ ...
The solution Sep 3, 2023

The solution is to decline such nonsense. A fuzzy grid is absurd for a review. It would be a major error to accept it.

Kevin Fulton
Anton Konashenok
expressisverbis
Daryo
Ildiko Santana
Philip Lees
Melina Kajander

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
The rate scheme looks pretty good to me Sep 3, 2023

The biggest question for me, however, would be about where the full matches are coming from. If they were from a TM that is populated with my own translations, I'd be OK with the 10% rate. A lot of the time it's actually 0%. But if the TM is built on someone else's translations, then I would definitely not accept a 10% review rate. I would first assess the quality and then, provided the TM translations are editable, I would charge my usual editing rate of 40 to 50% of my translation rate for rev... See more
The biggest question for me, however, would be about where the full matches are coming from. If they were from a TM that is populated with my own translations, I'd be OK with the 10% rate. A lot of the time it's actually 0%. But if the TM is built on someone else's translations, then I would definitely not accept a 10% review rate. I would first assess the quality and then, provided the TM translations are editable, I would charge my usual editing rate of 40 to 50% of my translation rate for reviewing them.

More generally, any fuzzy match scheme can be accepted if you simply adjust your base per-word rate to it.

[Edited at 2023-09-03 11:03 GMT]
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Matteo Rozzarin

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
It's for reviewing Sep 3, 2023

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
The rate scheme looks pretty good to me

Do you realise that it's for reviewing, not translation? It's not usual to apply a grid to review rates. Nor does it make any sense.

Angie Garbarino
Philip Lees
Arjan van den Berg
writeaway
IrinaN
Agnes Fatrai

Joop Debrabandere
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
repetitions not visible in wordcount Sep 3, 2023

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Joop Debrabandere wrote:

Joop

... you should read everything until the end, but refrain from accepting further similar jobs, IMHO.

Problem with job was/is, you only see the number of repetitions after accepting and counting yourself..... and the job came about right after their announcement.
The thing is, more and more agencies are getting so desperate to cut costs that they seem to lose their minds....

Joop Debrabandere
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
vendor manager Sep 3, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Do you realise that it's for reviewing, not translation? It's not usual to apply a grid to review rates. Nor does it make any sense.

Even the vendor manager agreed it made no sense..... it were the chefs. I was even more or less encouraged to provide bad quality, so that customers would complain and the agency would rethink their policy.... crazy world as I said.

Joop Debrabandere
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not my own text in memory Sep 3, 2023

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

The biggest question for me, however, would be about where the full matches are coming from. If they were from a TM that is populated with my own translations, I'd be OK with the 10% rate. A lot of the time it's actually 0%. But if the TM is built on someone else's translations, then I would definitely not accept a 10% review rate. I would first assess the quality and then, provided the TM translations are editable, I would charge my usual editing rate of 40 to 50% of my translation rate for reviewing them.

More generally, any fuzzy match scheme can be accepted if you simply adjust your base per-word rate to it.

[Edited at 2023-09-03 11:03 GMT]

Hi Mikhail,
you're right, if it were my own translations in the TM a reduction in word price might be acceptable, but it aren't mine.
Joop

Joop Debrabandere
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
other jobs Sep 3, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

The solution is to decline such nonsense. A fuzzy grid is absurd for a review. It would be a major error to accept it.

Hi Thomas,

Of course, you are right. But I do get a lot of smaller jobs, without any repetitions that do pay off. So, it is also about not losing a regular client. But I have to admit, in these days, I sometimes think, you can all f*** off. But I still have to earn some money...
Joop

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The cross of matches Sep 3, 2023

When it comes to translations these rate schemes might work... though I personally don't accept them.

However, applying such a scheme to any type of review work is/should not be acceptable. The rate for 100% matches is 0.00 of any given currency. Getting paid for the actual work you do implies that the 100% matches must not be read. Easier said than done. Especially when it comes to languages like German or Chinese. Just because the word itself is a 100% match doesn't mean that it a
... See more
When it comes to translations these rate schemes might work... though I personally don't accept them.

However, applying such a scheme to any type of review work is/should not be acceptable. The rate for 100% matches is 0.00 of any given currency. Getting paid for the actual work you do implies that the 100% matches must not be read. Easier said than done. Especially when it comes to languages like German or Chinese. Just because the word itself is a 100% match doesn't mean that it also makes 100% sense in the context of the sentence, but instead turn out to be a 100% nonsense, so to speak.

A good reviewer will, of course, make all the necessary adjustments at... the fabulous rate of 0.00. Therefore, any type of review work should be paid by the hour.

[Edited at 2023-09-03 13:41 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Marina Aleyeva
Philip Lees

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
'No' is enough Sep 3, 2023

Joop Debrabandere wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Even the vendor manager agreed it made no sense..... it were the chefs. I was even more or less encouraged to provide bad quality, so that customers would complain and the agency would rethink their policy.... crazy world as I said.

No matter their excuses, by accepting it, you enable this lunacy and encourage them to do the same again with someone else. That's a major error. You help dragging rates down, harming your colleagues in the process. Rates are low because too many translators accept them and have no idea how to negotiate or stand firm on reasonable payment.

Of course, if you accepted it in a brief moment of insanity, you can pay less attention to detail to avoid spending more time than you are paid for.

expressisverbis
Becca Resnik
Michele Fauble
Ildiko Santana
Philip Lees
Jorge Payan

Joop Debrabandere
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
negotiate Sep 3, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

No matter their excuses, by accepting it, you enable this lunacy and encourage them to do the same again with someone else. That's a major error. You help dragging rates down, harming your colleagues in the process. Rates are low because too many translators accept them and have no idea how to negotiate or stand firm on reasonable payment.

Of course, if you accepted it in a brief moment of insanity, you can pay less attention to detail to avoid spending more time than you are paid for.

It am actually a tough negotiator. But this was really take it or get lost. I accepted but at the same time raised my min. charge 33%, my standard review rate also 33% and my word price for translation about 8%.
I actually wanted to hear if anyone of you had ever been offered price grids for review (which is actually totally insane).

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Salami method Sep 3, 2023

Joop Debrabandere wrote:

It am actually a tough negotiator. But this was really take it or get lost. I accepted but at the same time raised my min. charge 33%, my standard review rate also 33% and my word price for translation about 8%.
I actually wanted to hear if anyone of you had ever been offered price grids for review (which is actually totally insane).

I don't see anything tough about accepting a grid for a review. I would tell them to drop the BS or find someone else. You cannot negotiate if you are not willing to walk away.

It's the salami method. Little by little, they slice bits off the rates. Next they'll be coming for your minimum rate. 'I have explained to the other translators that because there are so many small jobs that it can reach €1,000 a month, they should not charge minimum rates, as the client cannot afford to pay thousands for a few words in all the languages.' Total BS. I only ask for €20 minimum, which isn't much, but said I could offer €15, since it's always the same setup and end client.

Accepting an abusive client relationship is the road to ruin.

Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel
Becca Resnik
Michele Fauble
Philip Lees

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No... Sep 3, 2023

Joop Debrabandere wrote:

I've never heard that before and I've never been asked to revise a text by applying any kind of CAT tool grid...
If I was asked to do that, I would refuse and come up with a valid and sensible answer as to why not.
Are you sure it isn't that typical situation when PE of MT content is disguised as a revision work?
I can't imagine how we can rely on a CAT tool grid for revision... Forgive me, but I find it impractical as well as absurd.

Thomas T. Frost
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees
Lieven Malaise
Aurélien ARPAZ
Peter Shortall

Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Spain
Member (2017)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
No problem Sep 4, 2023

Joop Debrabandere wrote:

Hello colleagues,

It looks as follows

Perfect Match 10%
Context Match 10%
Repetition 30%
100% Match 30%
Fuzzy Match 95-99% 40%
Fuzzy Match 85-94% 60%
Fuzzy Match 50-84% 80%
No Match 100%

What are your thoughts on this?

Joop

"As you have introduced a discount matrix for reviewing, I am forced to adapt my pricing. My new price fpr reviewing is x.xx per word. I would allways be happy to discuss a return to our previous arrangement."

Hans Lenting
Christel Zipfel
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Simone Linke
Diana Obermeyer

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dystopian translation world

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »