Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: At what age do you plan to retire?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
I Don't Plan To Retire Jul 23, 2022

Even so, I've decided not to knock myself out when working for anyone anymore. Instead, I now put my physical and mental health needs, as well as the needs of my relatives and friends, before those of any client. As far as I'm concerned, I can't afford not to, while at the same time I am fortunate that I Can afford not to work for unreasonable or unintelligent clients. My current client, who seems to be around the same age as me, told me I can take my time ("no rush") with my work for him. Besid... See more
Even so, I've decided not to knock myself out when working for anyone anymore. Instead, I now put my physical and mental health needs, as well as the needs of my relatives and friends, before those of any client. As far as I'm concerned, I can't afford not to, while at the same time I am fortunate that I Can afford not to work for unreasonable or unintelligent clients. My current client, who seems to be around the same age as me, told me I can take my time ("no rush") with my work for him. Besides the fact that he didn't fudge at all when it came to the fee I proposed in the first place, and that he has placed me under no stress to get his project completed (but, of course, I'm diligent about doing the work, anyway), I gladly accepted his invitation to come on board. And so far, it seems to be working out well for both of us.

[Edited at 2022-07-23 23:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-23 23:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-24 10:20 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Liviu-Lee Roth

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Not committing myself Jul 24, 2022

A few years ago I started receiving Social Security payments (American compulsory pension) which, although not enough to live on, allow me to be more choosy about the assignments I accept, as well as weather the occasional lulls in job offers.

Thirty years ago I began setting aside a portion of my income to save and eventually invest toward my retirement. Last year I attained my financial goals and can now contemplate moving on to another phase of my life, since due to current mark
... See more
A few years ago I started receiving Social Security payments (American compulsory pension) which, although not enough to live on, allow me to be more choosy about the assignments I accept, as well as weather the occasional lulls in job offers.

Thirty years ago I began setting aside a portion of my income to save and eventually invest toward my retirement. Last year I attained my financial goals and can now contemplate moving on to another phase of my life, since due to current market conditions I don't expect to appreciably increase my translation income. I've stopped updating my translation-related software and have canceled my work-related subscriptions. My plan was to retire at the end of this year and enjoy the fruits of my labor, pursuing my outside interests. Unfortunately, inflation and the roller coaster performance of the stock market have caused me to delay my plans – at least temporarily.

This past weekend I managed to make a picture of a heron tossing its catch, that is, repositioning a fish so it could slide down the bird's gullet. I look forward to more opportunities like that.

[Edited at 2022-07-24 15:02 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA
polishedwords
Liviu-Lee Roth
Philippe Etienne
Christine Andersen
Edwin den Boer
Aline Brito

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:16
English to Turkish
Maybe you just don't know how fortunate you are Jul 24, 2022

Paul Dixon wrote:
if I get some jobs.

It was recently brought to my attention that, as translators, the majority of the work we do have no 'real use to humankind' and by translating fancy marketing texts, legal contracts, pharmaceutical, financial, IT, (you name it) texts we're actually enabling people to buy things they don't need and becoming facilitators of a system that's hell-bent on destroying rainforests.
So, from this point of view, by not getting them jobs you're actually doing humanity a service, making your humble contribution to help bridge the gap between the poor and and the filthy rich.
Maybe that never-ending economic crisis in Brazil is doing you more good than you realize.

Christopher Schröder

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Respectfully Disagree With You, Baran Jul 24, 2022

As a book translator, many of my works are available to anyone in public and university libraries, and to any segment of humankind that wants to purchase them online. My two favorites have been a very entertaining contemporary fiction book (and doesn't everyone feel a need or look for a chance to escape the everyday problems of life from time to time, which is a good thing for most, if not all of us, I would think), and memoirs, from which many people who have had life crises similar to those of... See more
As a book translator, many of my works are available to anyone in public and university libraries, and to any segment of humankind that wants to purchase them online. My two favorites have been a very entertaining contemporary fiction book (and doesn't everyone feel a need or look for a chance to escape the everyday problems of life from time to time, which is a good thing for most, if not all of us, I would think), and memoirs, from which many people who have had life crises similar to those of their authors can learn (isn't that good, too?). And then there's the history books I've translated, just about all of which have been written by experts who are older than me, a senior citizen. In the latter case, they have value for a reading public, academics, and students who crave real education, i. e., people who have no interest at all in reading anything that is part of the current movement to rewrite history in a way that doesn't have very much to do with actual, verifiable facts, except to perhaps make or write critical analyses of the latter.

[Edited at 2022-07-24 17:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-24 17:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-24 17:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-24 18:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-24 18:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-24 18:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-24 21:11 GMT]
Collapse

Baran Keki
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Full Brazilian Jul 25, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:
It was recently brought to my attention that, as translators, the majority of the work we do have no 'real use to humankind' and by translating fancy marketing texts, legal contracts, pharmaceutical, financial, IT, (you name it) texts we're actually enabling people to buy things they don't need and becoming facilitators of a system that's hell-bent on destroying rainforests.
So, from this point of view, by not getting them jobs you're actually doing humanity a service, making your humble contribution to help bridge the gap between the poor and and the filthy rich.
Maybe that never-ending economic crisis in Brazil is doing you more good than you realize.

Indeed. Another thing to bear in mind is that by working you make money, which you will probably spend, thus pushing inflation even higher and making the crisis even deeper. We all owe it to the community to retire right now and let the machines take over.

(PS Brazil isn't even in the world top 10 for inflation, and we have just as many taxes in the UK, just saying.)

Baran Keki
expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:16
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The top 10 Jul 25, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:

Indeed. Another thing to bear in mind is that by working you make money, which you will probably spend, thus pushing inflation even higher and making the crisis even deeper. We all owe it to the community to retire right now and let the machines take over.

(PS Brazil isn't even in the world top 10 for inflation, and we have just as many taxes in the UK, just saying.)

According to the “World Bank” (June 2022 figures) the top 10 are:

Sudan – 382.82%
Lebanon – 154.76%
Zimbabwe – 98.55%
Suriname – 59.11%
Ethiopia – 26.83%
Zambia – 22.02%
Turkey – 19.59%
Haiti – 16.84%
Guinea – 12.59%

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Thank you Teresa! Jul 25, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

Sudan – 382.82%
Lebanon – 154.76%
Zimbabwe – 98.55%
Suriname – 59.11%
Ethiopia – 26.83%
Zambia – 22.02%
Turkey – 19.59%
Haiti – 16.84%
Guinea – 12.59%

Thank you for sharing this list. I'm shedding patriotic tears of joy, seeing my country in this list of distinguished countries. Way to go! We'll get to the top yet!

Christopher Schröder
Serhan Elmacıoğlu
Kevin Clayton, PhD

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:16
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Things change... Jul 25, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:

Sudan – 382.82%
Lebanon – 154.76%
Zimbabwe – 98.55%
Suriname – 59.11%
Ethiopia – 26.83%
Zambia – 22.02%
Turkey – 19.59%
Haiti – 16.84%
Guinea – 12.59%

I must add that Venezuela had the 1st place at the end of 2021 with an inflation rate at 686.4% but then resumed oil exports to Europe because of the Russia-Ukraine war and their inflation rate in May was 167.15 percent…

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Worse Jul 25, 2022

Further to my previous answer, in Brazil the situation is MUCH MUCH worse than I had stated before. In 2019, Brazil's far-right president pushed forward a Pensions Reform Bill severely restricting and even cutting pension benefits. Now people can't even take age-based retirement, even if they go blind or something else considered permanent disability, unless they have full contributions. And even those having the contributions have to give part of it to the Government.
So I am stuck with n
... See more
Further to my previous answer, in Brazil the situation is MUCH MUCH worse than I had stated before. In 2019, Brazil's far-right president pushed forward a Pensions Reform Bill severely restricting and even cutting pension benefits. Now people can't even take age-based retirement, even if they go blind or something else considered permanent disability, unless they have full contributions. And even those having the contributions have to give part of it to the Government.
So I am stuck with no money and no pension entitlement. So I'll be working until I die.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
You should never have left the UK Jul 25, 2022

Paul Dixon wrote:

So I am stuck with no money and no pension entitlement. So I'll be working until I die.

I just watched this the other day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiRN0br6xv8
The guy here has 14 children and is getting over 1000 GBP a week in benefits. Just check out the mansion they're living in. It's crazy.

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Aline Brito
Aline Brito  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:16
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Partial retirement Jul 25, 2022

The plan is to be financially independent, which is being able to live under the same standards without *having* to work (in my case, from savings and passive income). If I get there, I'll drastically lower my workload, but I don't plan to stop altogether. I'll focus on hobbies and interests while continuing with the most interesting projects.
I'm still fairly young (27), live a comfortable, but modest life, and don't plan on having children (ever), thus, I'm thinking it's doable in my 50s
... See more
The plan is to be financially independent, which is being able to live under the same standards without *having* to work (in my case, from savings and passive income). If I get there, I'll drastically lower my workload, but I don't plan to stop altogether. I'll focus on hobbies and interests while continuing with the most interesting projects.
I'm still fairly young (27), live a comfortable, but modest life, and don't plan on having children (ever), thus, I'm thinking it's doable in my 50s or shortly after.

[Edited at 2022-07-26 00:51 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
retirement age and inflation are unrelated Jul 26, 2022

Ice Scream wrote: ...by working you make money, which you will probably spend, thus pushing inflation even higher and making the crisis even deeper...

nothing can compare with big governmental projects (construction of fleets and castles, massive fight with whatever can be fought against - unwanted disposition of minds or epidemics, help to the friends, centuries-long projects of 'urgent' measures to improve health and well-being, etc., etc.) as the driver of inflation.

so, retirement age is an issue from some other category

[Edited at 2022-07-26 02:55 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: At what age do you plan to retire?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »