google translate translation
Thread poster: Daniel Teague
Daniel Teague
Daniel Teague  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 23:06
Icelandic to English
Apr 21, 2022

What do translators charge for this service.?

Alex Ossa
Alex Ossa  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:06
Member (2017)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Google is just another MT - apply normal PEMT practice Apr 21, 2022

The quality of MTs varies across languages and subjects, you can't apply a standard fee. My PEMT rates can vary from 20% to 60%-ish depending on the quality of the MT, which I determine by asking for a sample or I just know because it's a client I've worked with multiple times before. If it's really bad quality or the quality varies significantly throughout the text, I apply my hourly fee, otherwise I'd either be losing out myself or having to overcharge the client, neither of which is a great o... See more
The quality of MTs varies across languages and subjects, you can't apply a standard fee. My PEMT rates can vary from 20% to 60%-ish depending on the quality of the MT, which I determine by asking for a sample or I just know because it's a client I've worked with multiple times before. If it's really bad quality or the quality varies significantly throughout the text, I apply my hourly fee, otherwise I'd either be losing out myself or having to overcharge the client, neither of which is a great outcome.Collapse

Daniel Teague
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Daniel Teague
Daniel Teague  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 23:06
Icelandic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Alex. Apr 21, 2022

You took the words out my mouth!

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:06
Japanese to English
+ ...
Google translate Apr 22, 2022

One issue which I am coming across from time to time is a client who says: "Your translation says this, but Google Translate says this". In one case it was transliteration of a Japanese name (transliterating Japanese names can be a thorny prospect as there are so many variations). In this case, the Japanese name was transliterated by a native speaker. The client insisted on the Google version. I insisted on the native speaker's version. I never heard from this client again. One client said "I ca... See more
One issue which I am coming across from time to time is a client who says: "Your translation says this, but Google Translate says this". In one case it was transliteration of a Japanese name (transliterating Japanese names can be a thorny prospect as there are so many variations). In this case, the Japanese name was transliterated by a native speaker. The client insisted on the Google version. I insisted on the native speaker's version. I never heard from this client again. One client said "I can get a better translation from Google Translate". These google-maniacs are a pox on the translation profession.Collapse

Walter Landesman
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Philippe Etienne
Jo Macdonald
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
polishedwords

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

google translate translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »