Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:51
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Feb 3, 2022

In my profile, when I check who recently visited, I find this under "domain filters":

Screen Shot

QUESTION. What is a domain filter?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No idea Feb 3, 2022

Tom in London wrote:
What is a domain filter?

No idea. My domain filter list is empty, and I could not figure out how to add domain filters.

Tom in London
Goumiri Abdennour
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Domain filter Feb 3, 2022

In terms of web traffic, domain filter might mean grouping visits based on origin domain (e.g. t.co would seem to indicate those visits originate from Twitter).

I would assume this is an attempt to make the visits overview more meaningful.

Admittedly, there are some areas of the site where some documentation would be helpful.

I will take this opportunity to recommend a book:

Docs for Developers, Apress, 2021
First author: Jared Bhatti fr
... See more
In terms of web traffic, domain filter might mean grouping visits based on origin domain (e.g. t.co would seem to indicate those visits originate from Twitter).

I would assume this is an attempt to make the visits overview more meaningful.

Admittedly, there are some areas of the site where some documentation would be helpful.

I will take this opportunity to recommend a book:

Docs for Developers, Apress, 2021
First author: Jared Bhatti from Alphabet (Google)

One can find some useful tips about how to approach the documentation. Among others: document while you write the code. Otherwise, it is very likely you will forget.

Sorry for the digression, Tom in London.
Collapse

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Filter Search Engines, etc. Feb 4, 2022

I use this option to filter Search Engines in order not to count them in visits...

By the way, Visitors and visits are something to review by Proz as it is not correct and not working well...

Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Why is the Google one from 3 years ago? Feb 4, 2022

I'd also be interested to know why the Google one is from 3 years ago, and you've had 8 visits from it in the last 30 days.

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Me too Feb 4, 2022

Carlos Alvarez wrote:

I'd also be interested to know why the Google one is from 3 years ago, and you've had 8 visits from it in the last 30 days.

... and still nobody has said what a domain filter actually IS.

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
What a domain filter actually is Feb 4, 2022

A definition of the term does not seem to be easy to find on the net, but this is interesting:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-domain-filter/pfefijhgghjngiekipelcephlehhiedl

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmmm Feb 4, 2022

"The Google Domain Filter allows you to input a set of domains you would like to filter away from your Google results."

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
I guess it's the same principle Feb 4, 2022

In kudoz settings, when you filter a user, you no longer see their questions in your kudoz feed. I guess this is the same principle for visitors. If you filter a domain you no longer see visits coming from that domain. At some point, you might have clicked "filter" by mistake in the domain tab.
You should be able to unselect the filter option in the domain tab to see visits coming from Google and Twitter.

Edit: I didn't notice that the Remove filter option is in the picture yo
... See more
In kudoz settings, when you filter a user, you no longer see their questions in your kudoz feed. I guess this is the same principle for visitors. If you filter a domain you no longer see visits coming from that domain. At some point, you might have clicked "filter" by mistake in the domain tab.
You should be able to unselect the filter option in the domain tab to see visits coming from Google and Twitter.

Edit: I didn't notice that the Remove filter option is in the picture you posted.

[Edited at 2022-02-04 13:31 GMT]
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
I tested the filter Feb 4, 2022

Carlos Alvarez wrote:

Hi Carlos, I found out the column Time/Date is when you added the filter. So Tom added a filter 3 years ago and got 8 visits from that domain this month. Makes sense.

Edit: spelling of Carlos

[Edited at 2022-02-04 14:11 GMT]

Tom in London
Carlos Alvarez

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Putting it another way Feb 4, 2022

If you visit the website of a publishing house and you want to see only books from a certain field, what you actually use is a filter that you activate by pressing a link or a button.

We could call this a knowledge domain filter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a domain filter?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »