A low profile with lots of visitors
Thread poster: Baran Keki
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:34
English to Turkish
May 23, 2022

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this topic as I'm not requiring help per se.
I just came across a Proz profile some moments ago, and got very intrigued by it. This person (a German to English translator) has a total of 8 Kudoz points, zero (0) forum posts, 13 WWA reviews, a good enough bio section with a lot of detail, but without any external links (such as to a personal website). In short, just an ordinary profile (or so it seems), but underneath the profile it says "Thi
... See more
I don't know if this is the right forum to post this topic as I'm not requiring help per se.
I just came across a Proz profile some moments ago, and got very intrigued by it. This person (a German to English translator) has a total of 8 Kudoz points, zero (0) forum posts, 13 WWA reviews, a good enough bio section with a lot of detail, but without any external links (such as to a personal website). In short, just an ordinary profile (or so it seems), but underneath the profile it says "This profile has received 703 visits in the last month, from a total of 364 visitors".
I find this quite amazing. How can a seemingly ordinary profile, which must be ranking at the bottom of the German to English translators directory, attract 364 visitors? I'm assuming at least 95% of those visitors are potential clients, not freelancers checking out his profile after seeing it on Kudoz or on the forums here.
Is there a way to increase traffic to your profile without moving up in the directory? Can anybody explain this? I might require help after all.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
?? May 23, 2022

Good keywords? Popular languages/subjects? Hot profile photo? Luck?

Website/social media pointing to the ProZ profile?

Bear in mind that even I have apparently had 67 visitors, none of whom have offered any work, and six times zero is still zero...

[Edited at 2022-05-23 14:42 GMT]

Rachel Waddington
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Sebastian Witte
Felicita Ratti

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:34
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I reached 400 some years ago May 23, 2022

With my ordinary profile, it depends on different factors, and yes like Ice said, this does not mean work, just curiosity in my experience

expressisverbis

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Google? May 23, 2022

Maybe the person's profile turns up in Google search results for his or her name.

Kay Denney
expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:34
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
?? May 23, 2022

I looked at my profile and I’ve had 188 visitors last month, none of whom have offered any work. As far as I can figure it out, some of these visitors are other Proz members…

Angie Garbarino
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Eleanor Odhiambo

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:34
French to English
. May 23, 2022

Maybe there are links to their Proz profile from other websites? If so I'd like to know which!

Or maybe it's their only presence on Internet because otherwise they're trying to lie low because of something shady, and various police officers, private investigators and lawyers keep searching for them and only turn this one profile up?

Baran Keki
Angie Garbarino
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks, Baran! May 24, 2022

Thanks to your question, on "Visit Statistics" I have found out that I have 13 users who added me to a list, 7 of them freelancers!
I don't have any idea what this "list" represents, because I don't use to check these sorts of things. I have better and more important things to do.
But, by way of indication, I had 368 visits in the past 30 days, most part of them not logged in.
For me, lots of visitors mean just curiosity of other members/users, only a few decent ones will show
... See more
Thanks to your question, on "Visit Statistics" I have found out that I have 13 users who added me to a list, 7 of them freelancers!
I don't have any idea what this "list" represents, because I don't use to check these sorts of things. I have better and more important things to do.
But, by way of indication, I had 368 visits in the past 30 days, most part of them not logged in.
For me, lots of visitors mean just curiosity of other members/users, only a few decent ones will show a professional interest in you profile.

[Edited at 2022-05-24 10:07 GMT]
Collapse

Baran Keki

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Googling his name May 24, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

For me, lots of visitors mean just curiosity of other members/users, only a few decent ones will show a professional interest in you profile.

[Edited at 2022-05-24 10:07 GMT]

I Googled his name and saw that he only has a Translatorscafe profile (btw is that site any good?) and a Proz profile, that's it. No LinkedIn, no personal website, nothing. Yet 364 visitors (365 to be exact, myself included). So it stands to reason that a large majority of those visitors are clients, not freelancers checking out his profile out of curiosity/interest having come across it on forums or Kudoz. I was just baffled by this, and I find it quite remarkable.
Btw, this person has a very nice and professional profile (a full profile with a lot of background information, not a lot of keywords though), so it's by no means an 'ordinary profile' as I mistakenly said in my earlier post. What I actually meant by 'ordinary' was that he has a total of 8 Kudoz points so his profile shouldn't stand out in the directory of German to English translators, which I reckon must be a very hot and sought after language pair/directory. And seeing as he's never participated in forum discussions makes the number of visitors even more curious. It just makes you wonder how Proz works in general... if a profile like this gets this many hits, why do I bother answering Kudoz questions? Why my profile attracts visitors whenever I'm active on these forums, and nobody seems to visit my profile when I don't participate in any activity (not that I welcome freelancers to visit my profile though, I'd much rather potential clients check out my profile) like that guy?

[Edited at 2022-05-24 12:13 GMT]

expressisverbis

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
only 18 visitors last month May 24, 2022

Disappointing...

Baran Keki

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
That's a crying shame May 24, 2022

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

only 18 visitors last month

Ask for refund!

[Edited at 2022-05-24 12:17 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My guess May 24, 2022

I believe that are many (and very good) translators out there who don't rely on Proz features or don't use it much to stand out.
Maybe that person has connections or good references who check their profile on both forums. It can also be an isolated incident. I really don't know... it's a bit weird.
Regarding Translatorscafe, no "points system" is the only good thing I can find there. Also, I think there are more jobs posted on Proz than on Translatorscafe in my language pairs.
... See more
I believe that are many (and very good) translators out there who don't rely on Proz features or don't use it much to stand out.
Maybe that person has connections or good references who check their profile on both forums. It can also be an isolated incident. I really don't know... it's a bit weird.
Regarding Translatorscafe, no "points system" is the only good thing I can find there. Also, I think there are more jobs posted on Proz than on Translatorscafe in my language pairs.
On Kudoz only a few translators are nice colleagues who provide great help and are respectful. I used to be a very active member, but not anymore. It's a "jungle". Who knows if that person has the same feeling about it?
Collapse

Baran Keki

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:34
German to English
+ ...
Web crawler May 24, 2022

I check my visitor count periodically, and when I see a large jump, it's often because there are several dozen hits from a single visitor in a single day. That's just the work of a web crawler, and I find it annoying that it artificially boosts my numbers for a time, as I'd rather have an accurate account of my visitor activity. Anyway, I don't think you're missing out on anything on either side (neither drawing visitors in nor getting more business)!

Edit: I'm also wondering if tho
... See more
I check my visitor count periodically, and when I see a large jump, it's often because there are several dozen hits from a single visitor in a single day. That's just the work of a web crawler, and I find it annoying that it artificially boosts my numbers for a time, as I'd rather have an accurate account of my visitor activity. Anyway, I don't think you're missing out on anything on either side (neither drawing visitors in nor getting more business)!

Edit: I'm also wondering if those numbers represent visitors or visits. Looking at this section of my profile, the ProZ interface uses those two terms interchangeably at one point. In any case, I rarely find that web crawlers are isolated incidents - I normally see several (individual "visitors") in a row.

[Edited at 2022-05-24 13:51 GMT]
Collapse

Baran Keki
expressisverbis

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Web crawler? May 25, 2022

Breaking news: yesterday one of my visitors made a number of 11 visits (?!). I wonder what for...

Serhan Elmacıoğlu
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You are not alone May 25, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

Breaking news: yesterday one of my visitors made a number of 11 visits (?!). I wonder what for...

I have someone from Bavaria, Germany snooping around all the time.
I must say I am not interested in buying a BMW, but I can gladly accept it as a present

Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik
Serhan Elmacıoğlu

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. May 25, 2022

My record so far was 7 visits from one visitor on the same day, but this one seems really pushy. Anyway, I’d better have him/her as a profile visitor than on the phone…

expressisverbis
Becca Resnik

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A low profile with lots of visitors

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »