Natalia Zudaire
Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:21
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 10, 2005

I want to translate PDFs using TRADOS, without having to convert to word and back. Is there a way? (my problem in converting is that I spend a lot of time formatting, and I think that if I could do it straight from the PDF I would save a lot of time and effort).

Thanks!!!!

Natalia

PS:
My TRADOS version is 6.5.5.438

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:21
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
There is no way without converting (apart from re-typing) Jan 10, 2005

Please search this Forum for earlier postings. This topic has been discussed several hundred times and there is nothing new that could be added.

Enter "pdf to doc", "Pdf convertion" or something similar in the search box.

Regards
Andrzej

PDF = Portable Document Format = is not intended to be edited.

[Edited at 2005-01-10 18:33]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, no way Jan 10, 2005

PDF is a format, which was concepted not to be edited in any way, but only to show in the same was on ANY PC/MAC after opening.
There is no way to edit PDF as it is, not with Trados and not with any other means. You will need to convert it - but you will be able to find various valuable tipps on ProZ. Simply search the fora with "PDF" or "con
... See more
PDF is a format, which was concepted not to be edited in any way, but only to show in the same was on ANY PC/MAC after opening.
There is no way to edit PDF as it is, not with Trados and not with any other means. You will need to convert it - but you will be able to find various valuable tipps on ProZ. Simply search the fora with "PDF" or "convert PDF", you could start here: http://www.proz.com/howto/247.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2005-01-10 18:37]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
PDF Howto Jan 10, 2005

Hi Natalia,
A fellow moderator (whose name should be familiar to you...) has prepared and posted a Howto explaining all you need to know about PDFs.

HTH, Ralf

Natalia Zudaire
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Jan 10, 2005

I think I was only hoping that someday they would come up with some way to combine TRADOS with Adobe Acrobat (not the reader, but hte writer) in order to make our work a bit easier...
I did look up for some thread before, but I looked up for the words: "TRADOS" and "PDF" together, and didn't show any result.

although I´m a bit dissappointed, I am happy not to be wasting any more time trying to look for a way to make it work.

Thank you all!

Gra
... See more
I think I was only hoping that someday they would come up with some way to combine TRADOS with Adobe Acrobat (not the reader, but hte writer) in order to make our work a bit easier...
I did look up for some thread before, but I looked up for the words: "TRADOS" and "PDF" together, and didn't show any result.

although I´m a bit dissappointed, I am happy not to be wasting any more time trying to look for a way to make it work.

Thank you all!

Gracias mil

Natalia
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why dissapointed? Jan 10, 2005

If you get work on paper, will you then be dissapointed?
PDF is quite the same.
Ask your customer for original editable files. If they cannot provide them, then be happy to get a PDF - you will not have to scan it first in order to generate an editable document (and yes, mostly you will be able to get "blood out of the stone", to use the title of Petr Lintons presentation during the Oxford conference). If you get the text only as paper, you can only scan it (a lot of work) or do a lo
... See more
If you get work on paper, will you then be dissapointed?
PDF is quite the same.
Ask your customer for original editable files. If they cannot provide them, then be happy to get a PDF - you will not have to scan it first in order to generate an editable document (and yes, mostly you will be able to get "blood out of the stone", to use the title of Petr Lintons presentation during the Oxford conference). If you get the text only as paper, you can only scan it (a lot of work) or do a lot of typewritting

Having an uneditable document format, such as PDF, does really has its advantages! Imagine you publish something and put this on the Internet - you will be glad to prevent anyone from modifying what you wrote, won´t you?

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Natalia Zudaire
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right Jan 10, 2005

I should be happy to have something to work on, it´s just that I found that TRADOS people have got the way around almost every program we are using, and I was hoping that they have solved this problem already (I know they will). I feel that translating ahould be like cooking, preparing the food shouldn't take longer than eating it. So preparing the document shouldn't take longer than translating it. I know it sometimes does, but I try to find the way to make the most out of my time.

... See more
I should be happy to have something to work on, it´s just that I found that TRADOS people have got the way around almost every program we are using, and I was hoping that they have solved this problem already (I know they will). I feel that translating ahould be like cooking, preparing the food shouldn't take longer than eating it. So preparing the document shouldn't take longer than translating it. I know it sometimes does, but I try to find the way to make the most out of my time.

Natalia
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
PDF documents aren't meant to be edited Jan 10, 2005

Hi again,
I can see some misconceptions in your posting.

Natalia Zudaire wrote:

I should be happy to have something to work on, it´s just that I found that TRADOS people have got the way around almost every program we are using, and I was hoping that they have solved this problem already (I know they will).

I beg to disagree here: I'd be extremely disappointed if Trados were working on this.

I feel that translating ahould be like cooking, preparing the food shouldn't take longer than eating it.

Slightly off-topic, but anyway: a good meal usually takes longer (sometimes much longer) to prepare than to eat it.

So preparing the document shouldn't take longer than translating it.

It doesn't: creating a PDF file from a source file is a matter of minutes. The reason why this doesn't work in reverse is due to the very concept of PDF files: by design, these are non-editable. Leaving aside a few tool that allow you to add a word or two, you cannot edit PDF files. The full version of Adobe Acrobat has a wide range of functions for annotation, highlighting, mark-up, and all sorts of support functions: but it doesn't feature editing. And that's not a bug - it's a feature.

Best regards,
Ralf

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
with a lot of tools Jan 10, 2005

and in just a few seconds, you have a PDF converted to a doc file.
My favorit is Solidconverter.
http://www.solidpdf.com/

Saludos

[Edited at 2005-01-10 20:06]

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
You are wide of the mark! Jan 10, 2005

Natalia Zudaire wrote:

I feel that translating ahould be like cooking, preparing the food shouldn't take longer than eating it.

Natalia

However, if you prefer McDonalds...And what about the famous Polish dish called bigos, which takes 3 days to prepare it? And what about Parma ham, which takes one year to get mature?

Have you ever heard about slowfood?

This was absolutely off-topic, nothing in personal.

Very sad...

Regards
Andrzej

Natalia Zudaire
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cooking, knitting, and PDFs Jan 10, 2005

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

Have you ever heard about slowfood?

I sure love slowfood, when somebody else does it (not all of us love cooking), though I may spend a whole week knitting something I use only once or twice... I know it isn´t the happiest comparison, I´m sorry about that.
What I meant is, why waste time in converting and reconverting, while I could be using that time in translating, which is what I like doing best... I was just trying to save time, but if I can´t I will have to deal with that.
My problem is that I have this client who needed the PDF translated, but didn't have the original file, only the PDF. I already did it, but I was wondering if there was an easier way to do it.

Natalia

Natalia Zudaire
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A great HowTo Jan 10, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Natalia,
A fellow moderator (whose name should be familiar to you...) has prepared and posted a Howto explaining all you need to know about PDFs.

HTH, Ralf

I should say that is one great HowTo!

It was really helpful.

Thanks!

Natalia

PS: in case somebody comes to this thread looking for converters and OCRs, I use PDF995 and Abbyy Fine Reader to work with PDF files.

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Great! Jan 11, 2005

Toledo wrote:

and in just a few seconds, you have a PDF converted to a doc file.
My favorit is Solidconverter.
http://www.solidpdf.com/

Saludos

[Edited at 2005-01-10 20:06]

Thank you, it's better than just saving in rtf from Acrobat.

Um abraço,
Esther

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF and TRADOS

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »