Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 17:55
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Thanks, Jean. Aug 18, 2022

It sounds pretty compatible. I’ll explore it further when get the time.

Jean Dimitriadis

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Virtualization without need to reactivate—possible? Aug 19, 2022

Has anyone here had experience virtualizing an *existing* OS install that includes Studio without triggering reactivation? This new development is yet another reason why I'd like to do that, since I already can't reactivate due to RWS denying me portal access for being the citizen of a wrong country. If reactivation is still an option for you, virtualize your install now and keep backups. With VMs, AFAIK you too have to take certain measures to avoid the need to reactivate, but that might be eas... See more
Has anyone here had experience virtualizing an *existing* OS install that includes Studio without triggering reactivation? This new development is yet another reason why I'd like to do that, since I already can't reactivate due to RWS denying me portal access for being the citizen of a wrong country. If reactivation is still an option for you, virtualize your install now and keep backups. With VMs, AFAIK you too have to take certain measures to avoid the need to reactivate, but that might be easier than with actual physical hardware.Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
30 September Aug 19, 2022

Sage, big UK company who make accounting software, are doing the same thing from 30 September due to some kind of broader internet security upgrade. Maybe this is the same?

Still stinks, though.

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Here's a link to my review, not sure why you're having problems finding it Aug 28, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

David Jessop wrote:

This is my TrustPilot review I have left after receiving the email that SDL would no longer reset licences. I encourage other translators who feel this decision is unfair to leave their own review.

SDL

[Edited at 2022-08-11 06:38 GMT]

I can't find any reviews on Trustpilot, including yours? Why is this?

https://www.trustpilot.com/reviews/62f36cf78000af4a8859f182

Alan Halls
Alan Halls  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
VMs are great... Aug 28, 2022

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

Has anyone here had experience virtualizing an *existing* OS install that includes Studio without triggering reactivation? This new development is yet another reason why I'd like to do that, since I already can't reactivate due to RWS denying me portal access for being the citizen of a wrong country. If reactivation is still an option for you, virtualize your install now and keep backups. With VMs, AFAIK you too have to take certain measures to avoid the need to reactivate, but that might be easier than with actual physical hardware.

Artem, I have frequently used VMs to get round certain problems like the one you mention. It's important to prevent the VM from from contacting the outside world, though. On Mac computers I use VMware and Parallels and make sure the VMs can only talk to the local network. That works fine.

[Edited at 2022-08-28 06:46 GMT]

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
My experience Aug 28, 2022

Hello Jean,

Thank you for the thorough and detailed report on how to translate Trados files and projects with CafeTran Espresso!

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Minor quirks can be expected, (especially, it is crucial to run the QA step for tag issues in CafeTran).

If you do have a working Trados copy, I recommend checking CafeTran-finalized files in Trados prior to delivery.

I have stopped to verify every translated Trados project in Trados some years ago and never had any issues since then.

The only Trados projects that I do verify after translation in CafeTran Espresso, are Schema ST4 projects. However, the developer of CafeTran Espresso has made great progress here too, so I haven't spotted any errors in Trados for the last couple of projects that I verified in Trados.

Jean Dimitriadis

Martin Bilík
Martin Bilík  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2023)
English to Czech
Studio 2014 transfer still possible May 16, 2023

Just for information – I successfully transferred Trados Studio 2014 to my new computer yesterday (by deactivating the license on the old computer and activating it on the new one). It looks that only license resets are not possible now (i.e. you are not able to transfer the license if the old computer crashes or gets lost).

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Reality check May 16, 2023

They're probably too busy leaking personal data (and reeling from David's review) to turn it off.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RWS forcibly deperpetualizing licences older than 2015

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »