Thread poster: I_CH
I_CH
I_CH  Identity Verified

Local time: 07:55
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 20, 2023

Hi,
does anybody if it possible to globally replace all soft spaces with hard spaces, e.g. all the "n. " with "n.^s", where ^s is the hard space, that you can set in Word for a replace, but apparently not in Trados 2022.

Many thanks in advance

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Replace ALL soft spaces with hard spaces? Jun 20, 2023

I don't think you want to replace all soft spaces in a document with hard spaces. That will create trouble for you in the export. Take.for.instance.a.sentence.like.this. I don't know how to search for a character combination like n. plus space and replace it with hard space automatically, but you can search for n. and manually replace a soft space with a hard space by hitting CTR+Shift+space.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:55
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
CleanUp Tasks Jun 20, 2023

Replace spaces with non-breaking spaces, is that what you want?

CleanUp Tasks should be able to do this.
https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/23

More details here:
http://jessegood.github.io/translation/cleanuptool.html

Basically, install plug
... See more
Replace spaces with non-breaking spaces, is that what you want?

CleanUp Tasks should be able to do this.
https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/23

More details here:
http://jessegood.github.io/translation/cleanuptool.html

Basically, install plug-in, click on Cleanup Source from Batch Tasks menu, create new conversion file, click on "+" in top right, then in Search box put a space " " and the Replace box put [\u00A0] and click on the Regex checkbox, then click Save or Save As, then click Next until the wizard is complete.

Obviously you should try this on a test file first.

Dan

PS Here is an example, which simply replaces a double-width (two-byte) Japanese space with a single space:

2023-06-20-135255796_SDLTradosStudio
Collapse

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Normal Find & Replace Jun 20, 2023

1. Enter a regular space in the "Find what:" field
2. Enter a non-breaking space in the "Replace with:" field

Note: To enter a non-breaking space, you can copy one from another application, if in Windows, you can Alt+0160, or you can use a character map app.

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Dan Lucas
Stepan Konev
Syrtos

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Sure about that? Jun 20, 2023

Jaime Oriard wrote:

Note: To enter a non-breaking space, you can copy one from another application, if in Windows, you can Alt+0160, or you can use a character map app.

I copied a non-breaking space from Word into the Replace with: box to test this out, but even though I had invisible characters show, it seemed the spaces still were soft spaces. But perhaps I did something wrong, I don't know.

I_CH
I_CH  Identity Verified

German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent Jun 20, 2023

Jaime Oriard wrote:

Hi Jaime, thanks a lot for your suggestion, which is in fact the simpliest and most straightforward. I have created a hard space in Trados and copy in the Replace box of Trados.

(Note to Roy: copying the hard space from Word does not work)

Thanks again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: globally replace all soft spaces with hard spaces

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »