Impossible to start SDL Trados: "'Failed to initialize view SDLTMAnonymizerView'" error.
Thread poster: David Manuel Díaz Sánchez
David Manuel Díaz Sánchez
Spain
Local time: 00:54
Member (2022)
English to Spanish
Jul 4, 2023

Hello everyone!
Among some other apps, I downloaded the SDLTMAnonymizer from the RWS AppStore, installed it, and closed and restarted Trados, and SDL Trados never opened again as the system keeps on throwing me this error:

pastedimage1688148903131v1

I've been searching around the web and sadly, I couldn’t find any suitable solution. This issue arose some days ago, and still not able to open Trados Studio, and not able to work at all.
My Trados Studio version is 2022. 17.0.0.11594
I would be very pleased if anyone could help me with this.
Thank you very much in advance,
David Díaz

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Have you contacted RWS? Jul 4, 2023

I assume you don´t have a PSMA - an agreement that expressly entitles you to help from RWS, or you would have tried that way.

This is what I found on the RWS Trados Support portal.

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000008199

If you still cannot open Trados, contact RWS and ask for help.
I hope it
... See more
I assume you don´t have a PSMA - an agreement that expressly entitles you to help from RWS, or you would have tried that way.

This is what I found on the RWS Trados Support portal.

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000008199

If you still cannot open Trados, contact RWS and ask for help.
I hope it works for you!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:54
English to Russian
Try this Jul 4, 2023

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL plugin installer
Find and run Sdl.Community.SdlPluginInstaller.exe
Search for your plugin in the list and click Uninstall.

You may want to add a shortcut to Sdl.Community.SdlPluginInstaller.exe on your desktop to easily open the plugin manager when need be.

... See more
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL plugin installer
Find and run Sdl.Community.SdlPluginInstaller.exe
Search for your plugin in the list and click Uninstall.

You may want to add a shortcut to Sdl.Community.SdlPluginInstaller.exe on your desktop to easily open the plugin manager when need be.

Also, you don't necessarily need a PSMA. Just post your question here:
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio
This is sort of free help desk. If you are lucky enough, they may fix it for free. If the issue involves major effort (hardly it does), then they would tell you if you really need a PSMA.

[Edited at 2023-07-04 18:09 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2022)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved!! Jul 5, 2023

I contacted RWS via two posts in two Forums, “General purpose” and “RWS AppStore Applications”, and had no answer. I thought those were the places to ask that question. Now I see that the forum suggested seems to be a bit more successful.

Regarding this: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000008199
I did check th
... See more
I contacted RWS via two posts in two Forums, “General purpose” and “RWS AppStore Applications”, and had no answer. I thought those were the places to ask that question. Now I see that the forum suggested seems to be a bit more successful.

Regarding this: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000008199
I did check that with no success at all.

Also, for unknown reasons, the suggested path to the SdlPluginInstaller did not work for me, but I could find that as:

This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Trados > Plugin installer

To my surprise, when running it, it appeared in blank, as if no app had been downloaded and installed.

Finally, the correct path to the files I had to delete to make Trados run again was the following:

This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Users > (username) > AppData > Roaming > Trados > Trados Studio > 17 > Plugins > Packages

Following the suggestion, I’ve created a shortcut.

RWS warns on their page that Trados Data Protection Suite should not be installed in Trados Studio 2022 SR1 as it prevents Studio from starting. This could have been my case I guess, but I’ve been checking my version and was not able to find any reference to SR1 -that I still don’t know what it means, but I guess it is something like “version 1”-.

Thank you all for your comments and kind support.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:54
English to Russian
You definitely need to update Jul 5, 2023

David Manuel Díaz Sánchez wrote:
for unknown reasons, the suggested path to the SdlPluginInstaller did not work for me
I know why. Because I use Trados 2021. You use Trados 2022. Hence the difference in paths.

David Manuel Díaz Sánchez wrote:
I’ve been checking my version and was not able to find any reference to SR1 -that I still don’t know what it means, but I guess it is something like “version 1”
You can compare your version with the latest one by pressing Alt, E, A, one button after the other, when in Trados, to know your version. Then you go to this page: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000012378&fbclid=IwAR0AX9U1tMBhI7ptTJ3KLvyCX6A_dz7nrvJQjiWOgKzLNeGl9mfV241PpqA
and check out the uppermost version. It is 14902.
Every next cumulative update (CU) fixes bugs and issues in the previous version. You use the very first one before fixing any bugs. You need to download the latest version (CU6_14902) and install it. Don't forget to return your license before you uninstall the older version.

====
When you download and install an app from the appstore, the program creates a pair of folders for its plugins: 'Packages' for zipped apps (*.sdlplugin = *.zip) and 'Unpacked' for the zipped app contents. I.e., when you download an app, you basically copy and paste it into the Packages folder. And when you install the app, you simply unzip what you just pasted into the Packages folder and put it unzipped into the Unpacked folder. This is how the downloading/installation process actually works. Therefore, the simplest way to remove a plugin is to remove it from those two folders.

For Trados Studio 2021, the above-mentioned two folders may be here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\16\Plugins\Packages\
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\16\Plugins\Unpacked\

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\16\Plugins\Packages\
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\16\Plugins\Unpacked\

C:\ProgramData\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\16\Plugins\Packages\
C:\ProgramData\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\16\Plugins\Unpacked\

Most plugins that you can reach using Trados Plugin Manager are stored at location 1.
On the other hand, ApSIC.Xbench.Agent.sdlplugin for example, can be found at location 3.
If you can't see your plugin in the list created by Trados Plugin Manager, check the above-mentioned folders.

For Trados Studio 2022
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Trados\Trados Studio\17\Plugins\Packages\
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Trados\Trados Studio\17\Plugins\Unpacked\

I don't think that any of the above-listed locations (1 to 3) for Trados 2021 also apply to Trados 2022, but I put this information here just in case that somebody who uses T2021 come across this thread.

[Edited at 2023-07-05 23:15 GMT]

Spain
Member (2022)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Everything runs perfectly now!! Jul 12, 2023

To be honest, I have always thought that I had Trados somehow settled with the “Automatic download and installation” by default. Obviously, it was not the case. It took me a while to realize that I had it in the “Automatic check” mode and that all the cumulative updates where in the “Notifications” area of Trados. Downloaded all of them, downloaded the plugin “Trados Data Protection Suite” again and now everything seems to be fine.

Thanks everyone for your invaluable assistance!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible to start SDL Trados: "'Failed to initialize view SDLTMAnonymizerView'" error.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »