Thread poster: Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:35
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Oct 9, 2021

I have tried to translate the following article title into the Russian language:
“Stocks Gain as CPI Bump, Vaccine Pause Downplayed: Markets Wrap”

The title may mean “Financial market review: Stocks increase in value at the same time as the consumer price index rises. The pause in vaccination is not taken seriously.”

Is this interpretation of the meaning correct? Or are the words "gain" and "bump" nouns rather than verbs? Notice that the word "bump," which
... See more
I have tried to translate the following article title into the Russian language:

The title may mean “Financial market review: Stocks increase in value at the same time as the consumer price index rises. The pause in vaccination is not taken seriously.”

Is this interpretation of the meaning correct? Or are the words "gain" and "bump" nouns rather than verbs? Notice that the word "bump," which follows "CPI," does not have "s," as singular verbs do.

(I have translated the title into the Russian language as "Обзор финансовых рынков: акции растут в цене на фоне роста ИПЦ, приостановка вакцинации не рассматривается серьёзно.")

[Edited at 2021-10-10 13:43 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bump Oct 10, 2021

I understand "bump" in this particular case to mean a temporary obstacle, like a bump in the road. Perhaps a sudden and unexpected variation (an increase or decrease)... One version of your suggestion could be as follows:

"Stocks increase in value while consumer price fluctuation and vaccination pause (are) not deemed serious.” Markets close."

[Edited at 2021-10-10 16:04 GMT]

Jennifer Levey

Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Structure of the Title Oct 10, 2021

I understand "bump" in this particular case to mean a temporary obstacle, like a bump in the road. Perhaps a sudden and unexpected variation (an increase or decrease)... One version of your suggestion could be as follows:
"Stocks increase in value while consumer price fluctuation and vaccination pause (are) not deemed serious.” Markets close."

Thank you. I had thought that the comma separates two clauses (“Stocks Gain as CPI Bump” and “Vaccine Pause Downplayed”).

But now I see that there may be only one clause in which the comma is used instead of the conjunction “and” to separate “CPI Bump” from “Vaccine Pause Downplayed.” (In such case, the title would be equivalent to "Stocks Gain as CPI Bump and Vaccine Pause Downplayed: Markets Wrap.") However, I am still not sure about the exact meaning.

Regarding the words “Markets Wrap,” various sources on the Internet, including one dictionary which I have consulted, say that “market wrap” means “review of a market.” The word “wrap” is sometimes used in the sense of “review” or “summary.”

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Meaning of bump and other things Oct 10, 2021

Vlad Kotenko wrote:

Is this interpretation of the meaning correct? Or are the words "gain" and "bump" nouns rather than verbs? Notice that the word "bump," which follows "CPI," does not have "s," as singular verbs do.

(I have translated the title into the Russian language as "Обзор финансовых рынков: акции растут в цене на фоне роста ИПЦ, приостановка вакцинации не рассматривается серьёзно.")

[Edited at 2021-10-10 13:43 GMT]

Gain is a verb, while bump and pause are nouns.

Two things are downplayed in this headline: the bump and the pause.

So basically: Stocks gain while *both* the CPI bump AND the vaccine pause are downplayed.

I agree with your interpretation of bump here (to mean rise or increase). This is a rise (or increase) in the CPI rather than a temporary obstacle or variation (whether up or down) as suggested in another post. Again, however, bump is a noun rather than a verb. Sorry if I did not make that clear before (I had to edit my post).

From a related article:
"Although policymakers at the Federal Reserve expect a bump in consumer prices to be short-lived, many traders disagree, with fears of faster CPI playing out across duration-heavy assets from bonds to tech stocks."

When the CPI rises, inflation occurs, and goods become more expensive.

[Edited at 2021-10-10 22:33 GMT]

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Oct 11, 2021

Arabic & More wrote:

So basically: Stocks gain while *both* the CPI bump AND the vaccine pause are downplayed.

Exactly. I'll add: "as" in this context (a stock market headline) implies some causation.

Arabic & More
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Markets Wrap Oct 11, 2021

Vlad Kotenko wrote:

Regarding the words “Markets Wrap,” various sources on the Internet, including one dictionary which I have consulted, say that “market wrap” means “review of a market.” The word “wrap” is sometimes used in the sense of “review” or “summary.”

Your second interpretation of "Markets Wrap" is correct. It is a review or summary of what the markets are doing, and many examples of this usage can be found on websites such as Yahoo Finance, Bloomberg, etc. "Wraps" are commonly compiled either daily or weekly (at the end of the day or week).

[Edited at 2021-10-11 15:38 GMT]

Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exact Meaning Oct 11, 2021

Gain is a verb, while bump and pause are nouns.

Thank you. This was not clear to me due to the sentence structure. The sentence structure is not usual, since two subjects are usually separated by the conjunction “and” rather than by a comma.
I'll add: "as" in this context (a stock market headline) implies some causation.

Yes, it seems to me likewise that the preposition “as” in this sentence may hint at causation and may be translated accordingly, although it can also simply mean “while.”
Your second interpretation of "Markets Wrap" is correct. It is a review or summary of what the markets are doing, and many examples of this usage can be found on websites such as Yahoo Finance, Bloomberg, etc. "Wraps" are commonly compiled either daily or weekly (at the end of the day or week).

When I had first seen the title, I thought that the last part should be translated as “markets close” due to the fact that the words “Markets Wrap” are put at the very end after the colon rather than at the beginning, as they normally should be. But later it became obvious that the last part of the title refers to the review of financial markets. Apparently it is viewed as acceptable in a financial review to put the words saying that this is a review at the end of the title.

[Edited at 2021-10-11 16:26 GMT]

Arabic & More
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Special rules for headlines Oct 11, 2021

Thank you. This was not clear to me due to the sentence structure. The sentence structure is not usual, since two subjects are usually separated by the conjunction “and” rather than by a comma.

This is due to the special rules that are used in writing headlines, some of which are listed here:

http://englishlessonsbrighton.co.uk/8-grammar-rules-writing-newspaper-headlines/

Rule #7 is the one that applies here:

Replace conjunctions with punctuation

One of the examples listed under this rule is:

"Man kills 5, self"

This means that the man killed five other people in addition to himself.

Headlines are written this way to save space, which used to be a much bigger issue before the Internet...but the style has continued to be used even online. Remember that these are not "sentences," but headlines/titles - and they are intentionally brief.

Compare "Man kills 5, self" to: Man commits suicide and kills five others

neilmac

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, BUT Oct 12, 2021

[quote]Vlad Kotenko wrote:

The "wrap" is drawn up when the markets close. "Wrap" is used this way in other areas, for example film/movies (The idiom 'that's a wrap' is used to say something is finished (often the filming of a video, television, movie scene or show).

Arabic & More

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Just wondering... Oct 12, 2021

... if this could have been posted as a KudoZ question?

Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Headline Guidelines Oct 12, 2021

This is due to the special rules that are used in writing headlines, some of which are listed here:
http://englishlessonsbrighton.co.uk/8-grammar-rules-writing-newspaper-headlines/
Rule #7 is the one that applies here:
Replace conjunctions with punctuation

Thank you for the information I was not aware of some of the headline writing guidelines, especially the one involving the omission of conjunctions, because conjunctions are very often not omitted in headlines and titles.
The "wrap" is drawn up when the markets close. "Wrap" is used this way in other areas, for example film/movies (The idiom 'that's a wrap' is used to say something is finished (often the filming of a video, television, movie scene or show).

In such case, should I translate “Markets Wrap” as “markets close” or “review of financial markets”?

NOAD defines “wrap-up” as “a summary or review of an activity, sporting event, etc.”

https://www.quora.com/What-the-heck-does-Bloomberg-News-mean-with-Markets-wrap states: “‘Markets wrap’ means a summary of the day’s events in the financial markets.”
if this could have been posted as a KudoZ question?

Perhaps there would have been fewer opportunities to ask additional questions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of an article title from English into Russian: help needed

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »