Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Looking for advice to detect scammers/fake translators
Thread poster: WWL
Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Fair points Dec 16, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

There are a few PMs who have agreed to let me use their names as references (in fact one of them suggested this to me out of the blue when I didn't even have a notion of what a reference was) and said that it was okay for them to respond to such queries on my behalf. So it was consensual, you see? It's not like I was begging or threatening them to do that or doing it without their knowledge.
If you don't like the idea of putting people to such inconvenience, don't do it by all means, but don't try to make your opinions sound like established professional rules by saying "we are not supposed to give any information etc. etc."

That's fair. As long as the PM/CP is not at all concerned about their name being mentioned, and aware that there may be people trying to contact them to ask some questions, it's no problem. To be frank, I also list some of those I've worked for in my work experience. They never prohibit me to do it in any shape or form, so I'm not breaking any rule. Though I still won't share the PM's/CP's email addresses and phone numbers regardless. If an agency/client wants to vet me by asking references, they'd have to find the contact details themselves.

I suggested this to the OP as a vetting method. Earlier this year a Palestinian scammer stole my old CV and sent it to my old employer (where I worked as an in-house translator for 10 years and I left on less than favorable terms) by changing my name and contact details. He must have done this to countless other agencies throughout the world. My email name was listed on a translation scammers website (forgot its name) as if I was a scammer.

Yes, this is why I'm always reluctant to share my CV. Can't we just replace it with a LinkedIn profile instead?

[Edited at 2021-12-16 15:17 GMT]

Baran Keki

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:18
English to Turkish
Whatever Dec 16, 2021

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
I don't go around publishing my professional or even private contacts like an open book and I don't use LinkedIn or other social media, as I can't control how all that information is used or abused. All that information simply isn't anyone else's business.

Seeing as how you cited the provisions of the GDPR, I'm not surprised! Do you know every single clause by heart?

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:18
English to Turkish
Wow! Dec 16, 2021

Adieu wrote:
They can and will simply note your rates and the contacts you provide and email them an offer to undercut you.

You mean an agency contacts another agency to undercut a freelancer?
I use my references only when seeking collaboration with serious and reliable translation agencies (I'd like to believe that I've come to distinguish those after 4.5 years of freelancing). My references are from my valuable clients, I wouldn't like to piss them off by giving out their names to every best rate agency that comes calling. I use them sparingly and only when necessary.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
You never know Dec 17, 2021

Any company can fall into naughty practices after a bad quarter or two or have a bad actor who tries to get promoted by drumming up business

Anybody can suffer from leaks and most companies regularly do

Any clown can pose as an agency, at time convincingly

And any underpaid PM at a genuine agency can dream of establishing a "side hustle"

Baran Keki wrote:

Adieu wrote:
They can and will simply note your rates and the contacts you provide and email them an offer to undercut you.

You mean an agency contacts another agency to undercut a freelancer?
I use my references only when seeking collaboration with serious and reliable translation agencies (I'd like to believe that I've come to distinguish those after 4.5 years of freelancing). My references are from my valuable clients, I wouldn't like to piss them off by giving out their names to every best rate agency that comes calling. I use them sparingly and only when necessary.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 11:18
Romanian to English
+ ...
If your translators are in the US Dec 20, 2021

WWL wrote:

Mike,
Thanks for your input. I am hoping to get some good ideas on how to avoid situations like this in the future. I am sure many of you have some good ideas about the best way to do it.

I would suggest asking the translator to submit the W-9 and a signed Translation Certificate for each project.

At least, you can prove to the client that you are in good faith.

Good luck.

WWL
WWL  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Liviu Dec 20, 2021

I really appreciate every and all comments about how to protect a company from becoming a victim of some sort of fraud or missrepresentation from a potential translator. As I realized now, is not an easy task to properly vet an individual for all the different reasons expressed by the participants in this conversation. I'm sure will find a way to develop professional and honest long term realationships with translators/editors and proofers around the world. Happy Holidays to you and to everyone ... See more
I really appreciate every and all comments about how to protect a company from becoming a victim of some sort of fraud or missrepresentation from a potential translator. As I realized now, is not an easy task to properly vet an individual for all the different reasons expressed by the participants in this conversation. I'm sure will find a way to develop professional and honest long term realationships with translators/editors and proofers around the world. Happy Holidays to you and to everyone who shared their ideas about this topic! Cheers to an oustanding 2022!Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:18
French to English
. Dec 21, 2021

You're asking how to vet translators: As a PM in an agency, if the trusted translator I normally outsourced to couldn't do the job, I would ask whether they knew anyone who could. That way the translator knew they would still get first refusal and their friend would be a back-up.

If that didn't work, then I would look on the ITI website. I needed translators into British English and that seemed to be the most reliable resource. Most of the translators I found on there were excellen
... See more
You're asking how to vet translators: As a PM in an agency, if the trusted translator I normally outsourced to couldn't do the job, I would ask whether they knew anyone who could. That way the translator knew they would still get first refusal and their friend would be a back-up.

If that didn't work, then I would look on the ITI website. I needed translators into British English and that seemed to be the most reliable resource. Most of the translators I found on there were excellent. Translators are all vetted before being allowed to become a member. Here on Proz just about anyone can call themselves a translator, cobble together a profile and apply for jobs, but on websites where the translators have been vetted, there's a higher chance of finding someone decent. I expect you can find equivalent websites for other target languages.
Collapse

Baran Keki

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for advice to detect scammers/fake translators

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »