Translating a document with pictures and bar code
Thread poster: Gabriela Gouveia
Gabriela Gouveia
Gabriela Gouveia
United States
Jan 14, 2022

Hello,

what do you do when you are translating a document that has a picture (a driver's license with a picture of the driver) and a bar code? (among other things like the coat of arm of such country)

Do you put in brackets [barcode] [coat of arms] or do you write down "here it appears the coat of arms" ?

I know that with signatures is usually added like [signature]

Thanks in advance!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Sometimes Jan 14, 2022

Gabriela Gouveia wrote:

Hello,

what do you do when you are translating a document that has a picture (a driver's license with a picture of the driver) and a bar code? (among other things like the coat of arm of such country)

Do you put in brackets [barcode] [coat of arms] or do you write down "here it appears the coat of arms" ?

I know that with signatures is usually added like [signature]

Thanks in advance!

Sometimes I do exactly as you describe. However if the document can be successfully converted to Word (if necessary fixing up the formatting), pictures, barcodes, signatures etc. can be preserved if you use a CAT tool (I use CafeTran).

Philip Lees

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:29
French to English
Images, QR codes, official documents Jan 14, 2022

In the event of a logo, coat of arms, photo, QR code or image etc. appearing in a document I am translating, I usually
- select a shape that is as close as it can be to the original
- adjust the size so that the shape occupies the same amount of space and in the appropriate position
- add colour, if relevant
- add text in italics and in square brackets to indicate the nature of the feature
- if the content of the text is relevant, I may indicate for example: "stamp
... See more
In the event of a logo, coat of arms, photo, QR code or image etc. appearing in a document I am translating, I usually
- select a shape that is as close as it can be to the original
- adjust the size so that the shape occupies the same amount of space and in the appropriate position
- add colour, if relevant
- add text in italics and in square brackets to indicate the nature of the feature
- if the content of the text is relevant, I may indicate for example: "stamp bearing the words: XXX" and copy the words in the source language".
My aim is to represent the feature as clearly as possible. A circular stamp or seal will be the same shape, colour and size, in proportion to the rest of the document. If the feature contains illegible elements, I will indicate that. Sometimes, I might add a brief description in italics and square brackets.

Examples:
When it comes to a photo, I add an icône selected from the selection in Word, a female/male head and shoulders outline on a driving licence, for example; different types of vehicles when categories of driving licence authorisations are present in image form on the source document.
For QR codes, I insert an appropriate form and indicate the type of QR code. This information can be tracked down on the internet. Be careful to use good sources though. Be generic if you are not certain. "QR code" can be sufficient.

This takes quite a bit of time. However, if you do this type of document quite often, you will be able to create model documents that will be very quick and easy to adapt for future jobs.

What I suggest you avoid copying and pasting any logo, image or QR code, etc. for copyright reasons. After all, this is a translation not a counterfeit document!
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Maria Jose Jacoby-Bravo

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:29
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
Snipping tool Jan 14, 2022

I would use the windows snipping tool to take screenshots of the images and copy them over.

achisholm

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Translation perhaps not necessary Jan 14, 2022

There is a certain degree of standardization nowadays as far as driving licenses/permits are concerned.

Clients don't always know what they really need.

It's bad karma to take them the money for nothing at all.

Also, in such documents, typos can be dangerous. Take care.

Regards,

M.B.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Gabriela Jan 14, 2022

Gabriela Gouveia wrote:
Do you put in brackets [barcode] [coat of arms]...

Yes.

If it is e.g. a stamp with several of lines of text, I sometimes do this:

[stamp begins here]
Text
Text
Text
Text
[stamp ends here]

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Bracket if it's text and sworn Jan 14, 2022

Sworn translation: Images that contain text get a bracketed note for clarification (unless they're self-explanatory, such as a company name).
Images that don't contain any text are omitted entirely and not specially noted.

Unsworn translation: In 95% of these cases the customer provides an editable original file of some sort. Text is translated, images are left as they are.

Bracketed notes are only used in sworn translations. Unsworn translations should contain no
... See more
Sworn translation: Images that contain text get a bracketed note for clarification (unless they're self-explanatory, such as a company name).
Images that don't contain any text are omitted entirely and not specially noted.

Unsworn translation: In 95% of these cases the customer provides an editable original file of some sort. Text is translated, images are left as they are.

Bracketed notes are only used in sworn translations. Unsworn translations should contain nothing but the translated text. (As always, ask the customer what's wanted!)
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a document with pictures and bar code

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »