Is there an organization for this specialty?
Téma indítója: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 02:37
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Jan 28, 2009

I am a Spanish/English translator who specializes in the field of Education. In fact, my background is in teaching and I tutor on the side. (Many of my students primarily speak Spanish.)

I recently joined a professional organization and I am considering joining another. I know that there are translator organizations for certain specialties. Is there such an organization for translators with my specialty?

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Németország
Local time: 08:37
Tag (2002 óta)
német - angol
+ ...
Yes, there is Jan 28, 2009

There is the Chartered Institute of Linguists Education Division:

http://www.iol.org.uk/membership/div_education.asp

Is this what you are looking for?

Sara Senft
Egyesült Államok
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Something like that Jan 28, 2009

Astrid;

I am looking for something along those lines. Ideally, I am looking for an organization that is specifically for translators who specialize in translating materials for the field of Education. If no such organization exists, I would consider joining a group for language educators.

Would the organization you mentioned accept members from outside the UK?

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

There is the Chartered Institute of Linguists Education Division:

http://www.iol.org.uk/membership/div_education.asp

Is this what you are looking for?

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Németország
Local time: 08:37
Tag (2002 óta)
német - angol
+ ...
They have members in lots of countries Jan 28, 2009

Dear Sara,

As far as I know, they have members in countries all over the world. The best thing to do would be to study their website.

Best regards,

Astrid

Jill Ananyi
Jill Ananyi  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Not that I know of Jan 29, 2009

Hi Sara,

I have been involved in bilingual publishing in the U.S. for many years and have worked with many people who translate elementary and secondary textbooks and teachers editions into Spanish or back into English. I have never heard of an organization or chapter of an organization that caters to this group. I'd like to know if you find one.

Jill

Sara Senft
Egyesült Államok
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
I didn't think so Jan 30, 2009

I didn't think there is an organization specifically for this specialty. I like to consider all possibilities, so I asked anyway.

Another option I am considering is joining an organization for foreign language teachers. Joining could benefit me in some way.

Jill Ananyi wrote:

Hi Sara,

I have been involved in bilingual publishing in the U.S. for many years and have worked with many people who translate elementary and secondary textbooks and teachers editions into Spanish or back into English. I have never heard of an organization or chapter of an organization that caters to this group. I'd like to know if you find one.

Jill

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there an organization for this specialty?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »