Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:49
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2007

I have been trying to establish my candidacy in order to be eligible to sit the certification exam in February. My degree is not in translation, although it involved a lot of translation (Ph.D. in Comparative Literature) and so I understood I would have to prove four years of full time translation work.
Great! I have this experience, but as freelancer I do not have any single client for whom I have worked full time, and for sure not for four years.
No matter how many times I explai
... See more
I have been trying to establish my candidacy in order to be eligible to sit the certification exam in February. My degree is not in translation, although it involved a lot of translation (Ph.D. in Comparative Literature) and so I understood I would have to prove four years of full time translation work.
Great! I have this experience, but as freelancer I do not have any single client for whom I have worked full time, and for sure not for four years.
No matter how many times I explain to the party responsible at the ATIO, they keep sending me the same reponse- "Please send two letters showing that you have worked full time in translation for a period of four years".
I am at my wits' end (though I admit, I did not have far to go). Any ideas?
Thanks!

[Titlu editat de un membru al personalului sau de un moderator 2007-11-01 16:52]
Collapse

Alexandra Scott
Alexandra Scott  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
Italian to English
+ ...
Obtain letters from several agencies Nov 1, 2007

Hi Juliana,

In order to establish four years' activity in translation, I would contact the various agencies and clients for whom you have worked, and ask them to provide a reference for the relevant period of time.

It should not be a problem that you are providing more than two letters, I think.

Juliana Brown
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried to ask Nov 1, 2007

the contact person if that would be acceptable, to show that I have been active for the period mentioned, but all I got in response was "if you are not sure, you should contact us". I thought that was what I had done!
I am just wondering how they plan to calculate the hours, words, etc. unless I give them ALL my clients, etc. which would be a lot.
Someone mentioned something about a dossier once. Have you heard about gaining eligibility through a dossier exam?

Olav Rixen
Olav Rixen
Canada
Local time: 04:49
English to German
+ ...
On Dossier Certification Nov 2, 2007

Hi Juliana,

You may want to take a look at the following website:
http://www.stibc.org/on-dossier-qa.php

It's a possibility to become a certified member of a Canadian Translators and Interpreters Association without having to sit an exam. I believe this is possible in all CTIC member associations, not just in BC.

Good luck

Olav

Juliana Brown
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Olav, Nov 2, 2007

I will definitely check out that option!

Alexandra Scott
Alexandra Scott  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
Italian to English
+ ...
On dossier certification is available in Ontario Nov 5, 2007

This route might be best for you in obtaining certification; you have to submit 10 samples of translations you have done.

Juliana Brown
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much. Nov 5, 2007

This definitely seems like the most efficient way to get it done. I'll e-mail them today and see if they'll let me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Canadian ATIO members - certification exam eligibility

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »