How (and what) to submit to non-english search engines.
Thread poster: Sophia Lansky
Sophia Lansky
Sophia Lansky
Local time: 19:17
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2002

I am working on a website translation and was asked how should one submit non-English search words to both American and foreign search engines, in order for the site to be listed.

I haven\'t the foggiest...

Help please.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-15 01:37 ]

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:17
English to Swedish
+ ...
Help is available. Aug 14, 2002

It is not a good idea to post questions anonymously!

If you contact me directly by email I’ll sort it out for you.

Sven.

Galina Nielsen
Galina Nielsen  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Russian
+ ...
Type questions in any language Aug 14, 2002

Hi!

It is quite often that I use Google for looking for some Russian terms. I am just to switch my keyboard over to the Russian language, and then type the terms/key words to be found into Google\'s search line. It found the references - the only problem is it does not show the page title correctly, there come illegible characters instead. But the links are quite OK! I saw also Japanese and Chinese use Google in the same way.

Hope it helps!

... See more
Hi!

It is quite often that I use Google for looking for some Russian terms. I am just to switch my keyboard over to the Russian language, and then type the terms/key words to be found into Google\'s search line. It found the references - the only problem is it does not show the page title correctly, there come illegible characters instead. But the links are quite OK! I saw also Japanese and Chinese use Google in the same way.

Hope it helps!

Best regards

Squi
Collapse

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Are you talking about metatags? Aug 14, 2002

My knowledge is pretty limited in this area but when I was experimentally generating some metatags, I noticed that one line of the header read:

META HTTP-EQUIV=\"Content-Language\" CONTENT=\"EN\"

(Obviously an English set of keywords). I am speculating that you can insert the same metatag with another ISO language code if you want your keywords on any particular page indexed in another language.

It won\'t be the same as submitting pa
... See more
My knowledge is pretty limited in this area but when I was experimentally generating some metatags, I noticed that one line of the header read:

(Obviously an English set of keywords). I am speculating that you can insert the same metatag with another ISO language code if you want your keywords on any particular page indexed in another language.

It won\'t be the same as submitting pages to search engines, but if my assumption is correct it will tell them that there is non-English content to be indexed when they come looking.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-14 09:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-14 09:43 ]
Collapse

_prowess_
_prowess_
Local time: 21:17
English to Tamil
+ ...
Are there directories? Aug 24, 2002

Not just metatags but we also need to submit the websites to directories like dmoz or to individual search engine to listed.

Quote:

On 2002-08-14 09:38, Academic wrote:

... See more
Not just metatags but we also need to submit the websites to directories like dmoz or to individual search engine to listed.

Quote:

On 2002-08-14 09:38, Academic wrote:

It won\'t be the same as submitting pages to search engines, but if my assumption is correct it will tell them that there is non-English content to be indexed when they come looking.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-14 09:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-14 09:43 ]

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How (and what) to submit to non-english search engines.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »