United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nothing much Dec 30, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

My 2020 was "not too bad."

The Basques laugh at that expression

It took me years to realise that when people in the Welsh Valleys say they “wouldn’t mind” they actually mean “yes please”.

As Debbie Harry sings in verse three of this song, "All I want is 20/20 vision"

Deborah (not Debbie, never Debbie, goodness me what a spanking she’d give me for that every time in my teenage dreams, what a very, very bad boy you are, Christopher) goes on to say:

Picture this, a day in December
Picture this, freezing cold weather

This might not mean much down in Bilbo’s burrow, or indeed Brazil (talking of very, very bad), but up here the brass monkeys all have their thermal jock-straps on.

Altogether a rather pointless post, but a few loose ends tied up anyway.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thermal j-straps Dec 30, 2020

Oh, I think it was a worthy post, especially for that bit. And Ms Harry, well, how many teenage bedsheets she ruined in her time is anybody's guess, but I like to think I made a respectable contribution.

Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Presbyterianism Dec 30, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

My 2020 was "not too bad."

The Basques laugh at that expression, which I use for a lot of situations. I'm sure it will strike a chord with Tom, too. I get it from my mum, I think, but it's typical of the morose attitude of where Tom and I come from.

It probably comes from a deep-rooted Presbyterian horror that something might actually be good.

Q. What is a Presbyterian's worst nightmare?
A. The fear that somebody, somewhere, might be having a good time.

On the subject of Basques - you have reminded me of a shaggy dog story involving a terrible overcrowding situation at a venue in northern Spain. The punchline is "you shouldn't put all your Basques in one exit".

[Edited at 2020-12-30 19:40 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
A Timely Question Dec 30, 2020

With all the negativity and negative events that were caused by the virus, I forgot, for quite a while, and until just a couple of days ago, that I have actually had a good year, work-wise. Four book projects, and Zoom made it possible for me to continue to work on another language-related degree, without any disruption.

[Edited at 2020-12-30 18:31 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Presbies Dec 30, 2020

Very good, Tom! How the first one takes me back. If you're enjoying it, it's got to be sinful! Some sins are so enjoyable.

[Edited at 2020-12-30 18:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-12-30 19:57 GMT]

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Bad - I failed to listen to my son and I got ripped off...again...... Dec 30, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
"not too bad."

I don't think it's necessarily NI speak, just English, but the way it's said can vary the meaning a lot, the intonation and so on.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
The hustle and bustle of the offfice... Dec 31, 2020

I only occasionally missed the constant interruptions, noise, interminable meetings, etc. that constitute the typical office environment. Perhaps that is because it was 28 years since I had worked in one.
For large parts of this year though, due to various restrictions imposed in response to the virus, my family and friends have done a fine job of recreating that very environment within my normally peaceful, almost stress-free working life and home!

Christopher Schröder
Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
Sarah Maidstone

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 17:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
Good Dec 31, 2020

I don't know if it was better than last year, but my main client still fed me a consistent stream of work. I also managed to get a concert through in November before things started shutting down again.

On the whole, could be a lot worse.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
For emphasis---- Dec 31, 2020

Rachel Fell wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
"not too bad."

I don't think it's necessarily NI speak, just English, but the way it's said can vary the meaning a lot, the intonation and so on.

For emphasis you can say "it's not too bad so it's not. In fact it's stickin' out"

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Lincoln Jan 1, 2021

I didn't know you were a musician too, Lincoln. Good for you!!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Tom Jan 1, 2021

Thanks for that one too, Tom. Although, with all due respect, and especially bearing in mind a kid on Erasmus, for example, trying to fathom what the hell they're on about, I think there should at least be a comma there, i.e. "it's not too bad, so it's not."

For those of you who still don't see it, "so" doesn't mean "so" there. What it means is nothing. In the as yet linguistically uncharted wilds of certain parts of Ireland they say things like "it's raining, so it is", or "he wen
... See more
Thanks for that one too, Tom. Although, with all due respect, and especially bearing in mind a kid on Erasmus, for example, trying to fathom what the hell they're on about, I think there should at least be a comma there, i.e. "it's not too bad, so it's not."

For those of you who still don't see it, "so" doesn't mean "so" there. What it means is nothing. In the as yet linguistically uncharted wilds of certain parts of Ireland they say things like "it's raining, so it is", or "he went there, so he did". Merely for emphasis.

But it's not just the expressions sometimes. It's the impossible accent. My Basque nephew did a year at school in my home town some years ago, 1st form or 2nd form. He told me he'd got on a bus and the bus driver said, "Antrim, is it?", and, rather bewildered because he wasn't going anywhere within fifty miles of Antrim, my nephew said "No, not Antrim, Portstewart", whereupon the driver said, "No, no, is it interim?" (which was some kind of ticket mode at the time). Doh.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Alasmus Jan 1, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

bearing in mind a kid on Erasmus

The UK has left Erasmus because the Brits have only just realised that it not only enabled British students to study anywhere else in the EU; it also allowed Johnny Foreigner to come to the UK and study. That has now been stopped. Keeps those filthy Europeans out of the Greatest Country in the World and the Best at Absolutely Everything. We don't need foreigners coming here to sully our cultural purity with their strange languages and disgusting food, and touching each other all the time. Pass the boiled cabbage!

Anyone feel like starting a "Triumph of Brexit" thread?

[Edited at 2021-01-01 12:32 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wool over eyes Jan 1, 2021

I'm beginning to understand the Leavers now. What a jolly cheek. Too true - they were just going over there in droves and helping themselves to all that boiled cabbage, not to mention tripe and onions and Yorkshire pud. I mean, really. Why don't they go to Russia and Poland? With the added incentive of beetroot.

P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
British "cuisine" Jan 1, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I'm beginning to understand the Leavers now. What a jolly cheek. Too true - they were just going over there in droves and helping themselves to all that boiled cabbage, not to mention tripe and onions and Yorkshire pud. I mean, really. Why don't they go to Russia and Poland? With the added incentive of beetroot.

You forgot to mention Scotch Eggs. We know the French, Spanish, and Italians were only over here for those and Eccles Cakes. And Shepherd's Pie. And Cauliflower Cheese.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
OT Jan 1, 2021

Tom, I’m curious, what makes you choose to live in Britain with its repressed emotions, arsonists, dodgy cuisine, useless government, etc?

Is it the weather?

Dan Lucas

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How was your 2020?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »