Silvia Markovič
Slovakia
Local time: 16:29
Member (2020)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Aug 12, 2022

Hello everyone,

I'm a translator for over 10 years and I'd like to broaden my knowledge in the subtitle area. Is there any software you use and have a good experience with which is able to extract the subtitles from the video voice? I mean, a client sends you a video without any written script and you have to do the time codes and write down what is said in the video. Is there any software which can do that and you just have to adjust the time codes and correct the subs?

... See more
Hello everyone,

I'm a translator for over 10 years and I'd like to broaden my knowledge in the subtitle area. Is there any software you use and have a good experience with which is able to extract the subtitles from the video voice? I mean, a client sends you a video without any written script and you have to do the time codes and write down what is said in the video. Is there any software which can do that and you just have to adjust the time codes and correct the subs?

I have no experience in this so I hope you'll be able to understand what I mean.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
ASR Aug 13, 2022

Any subtitling software with automatic speech recognition can do that. For offline tools, there are SubtitleNEXT and Subtitle Composer. If you (or your clients, rather) don’t mind working in the cloud, you can use Matesub.

However, please keep in mind that, depending on several factors, it can potentially make your job harder than actually being helpful. Poor audio quality, badly scripted video, the ASR not being optimized for your TL, etc. can negatively affect the performance of
... See more
Any subtitling software with automatic speech recognition can do that. For offline tools, there are SubtitleNEXT and Subtitle Composer. If you (or your clients, rather) don’t mind working in the cloud, you can use Matesub.

However, please keep in mind that, depending on several factors, it can potentially make your job harder than actually being helpful. Poor audio quality, badly scripted video, the ASR not being optimized for your TL, etc. can negatively affect the performance of it.

HTH
Collapse

Carla Smallwood

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
I have tried… Oct 27, 2022

…the Audio to Text function embedded in Subtitle Edit and it's just a waste of time. It takes hours to extract text from dialogues for films > 60 minutes and it's wrong most of the time anyway.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Whisper Dec 18, 2022

Silvia Zamecnikova wrote:

Is there any software which can do that and you just have to adjust the time codes and correct the subs?

I made my first video. Automated subtitles of Czech speech was generated with Whisper.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtnr2bd1U_XcyunJJLzZW2w

More info:

https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt/

ChatGPT - chat, translating, programming
DALL·E 2 - images and videos
Whisper - https://openai.com/blog/whisper/ Whisper support Slovak language, too.

"Whisper is an automatic speech recognition (ASR) system trained on 680,000 hours of multilingual and multitask supervised data collected from the web. We show that the use of such a large and diverse dataset leads to improved robustness to accents, background noise and technical language. Moreover, it enables transcription in multiple languages, as well as translation from those languages into English."

I need a new PC (my processor I7 was designed in 2012), because Whisper uses commands that only processors developed after 2013 are capable of.

Similar topic is ChatGPT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRcpr2k4Msw

ROZPRÁVAM SA S UMELOU INTELIGENCIOU PO SLOVENSKY!

Milan

Maureen Peng

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software for extracting subtitle from video voice

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »