How to change save path for opening project packages
Thread poster: Eric Zink
Eric Zink
Eric Zink  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:37
Member (2012)
German to English
Sep 24, 2015

So I finally successfully managed to migrate Trados to my new computer. Now I can't open project packages because the computer is trying to save them using the path I had on my old computer. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to select a different folder for the project to be saved in. Anybody know how to do it?

Thanks for your help.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
You should be able to choose were to open the package Sep 25, 2015

When you open a package, I believe you can see the path where it wants to save the open project. You should be able to change this folder to a folder of your own choosing.

Personally I prefer to save the project in a sub folder of the folder where I have files I receive from the customer in question.

Eric Zink
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
If only. Sep 25, 2015

I wish it were that easy, and it seems like it should be, but it is not. I have looked and looked, and there is no option for selecting a target folder.

BTW, I am working with Studio 2011.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just click finish after opening the package... Sep 25, 2015

... in Studio 2011 the dialogue for saving it comes after that point. If they save straight away without asking it's because the project already exists on your computer and you are just overwriting it.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

[Edited at 2015-09-25 08:45 GMT]

Eric Zink
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
If only (Part II). Sep 25, 2015

Again, I wish it were that simple. Clicking "Finish" does start Trados working on openning the project, but because it cannot find the path that is apparently incorrectly specified, it fails, and the project never opens. The status bar starts to fill up, but then the error message "Access to the path [old computer path] is denied. (1 errors, 0 warnings)", and the only options left are "Back" and "Cancel".

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Repair? or editing the Windows registry? Sep 25, 2015

I wonder if it would be worthwhile running a Windows repair on your studio installation. As far as I am aware, Studio should have a standard place where it wants to open packages, and if it doesn't find it, you may be in trouble of course.

I cannot quite understand why the Studio installation on a new machine should want to save the package in the same location as the old machine, or even know where that path was. If anything, it should want to save it where whoever created the pack
... See more
I wonder if it would be worthwhile running a Windows repair on your studio installation. As far as I am aware, Studio should have a standard place where it wants to open packages, and if it doesn't find it, you may be in trouble of course.

I cannot quite understand why the Studio installation on a new machine should want to save the package in the same location as the old machine, or even know where that path was. If anything, it should want to save it where whoever created the package, saved the package at the creation point.

Though you say you migrated Studio to your new computer. What exactly did you do to do this? I suspect the problem is here, in which case it's the installation that is the problem. My guess would be that Studio has saved the path in the Windows registry, in which case you could perhaps run regedit and search for the path in question and edit it to a more suitable path.

But before you start fiddling with the registry (it can be dangerous, although in this case I don't think you should run much danger) I would try a repair in case the path is reset to whatever is the standard for Studio.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It sounds to me as though... Sep 25, 2015

Eric Zink wrote:

Again, I wish it were that simple. Clicking "Finish" does start Trados working on openning the project, but because it cannot find the path that is apparently incorrectly specified, it fails, and the project never opens. The status bar starts to fill up, but then the error message "Access to the path [old computer path] is denied. (1 errors, 0 warnings)", and the only options left are "Back" and "Cancel".

... you have opened this project before and the details for it are still in the projects.xml. But the location to the previous project is no longer available, so you have two problems:

1. It doesn't offer the opportunity to pick the path
2. It fails to recognise the existing metadata because it's not there now

Maybe, if you are not just making the mistake of opening the package every time you want to work on it, you should delete the projects.xml, restart Studio 2011, and also make sure you don't have this project anywhere on your computer already.

If that doesn't help then log a case via the solution fionder.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Monica Sandor
Monica Sandor  Identity Verified
Belgium
Flemish to English
+ ...
difference in SDL TRados Studio 2011 and 2014 Mar 3, 2016

I have this problem too. Once I opened a package on my work computer, which has Trados Studio Professional 2014. And ever since then, I'm unable to open a new package (of any kind, with totally different name, from different client, saved on a different disk) on my home PC which runs Trados Studio Freelance 2011.

In Trados STudio Professional 2014, before you click open on the dialog window, it has a bar indicating the default path where the package will open to, and has a browse bu
... See more
I have this problem too. Once I opened a package on my work computer, which has Trados Studio Professional 2014. And ever since then, I'm unable to open a new package (of any kind, with totally different name, from different client, saved on a different disk) on my home PC which runs Trados Studio Freelance 2011.

In Trados STudio Professional 2014, before you click open on the dialog window, it has a bar indicating the default path where the package will open to, and has a browse button to allow you to change that path.

But Trados Studio Freelance 2011 does not.

Still, I don't understand why my Trados at home automatically looks for a drive letter that existed on my work PC but does not have the same name on my home PC, even for totally new projects never opened on my work PC!

There must be a place in Studio 2011 to change the DEFAULT path where my PC at home is trying open the package to - or is this an oversight in 2011 that was fixed in 2014? But no amount of searching online or Trados' KB has turned up anything.

Monica Sandor
Collapse

I_Bauer
I_Bauer
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:37
English to German
Same problem.... Apr 12, 2016

I have the same problem with Studio 2011. I migrated Trados to a new laptop about a year ago and Studio is trying to save the package by default to a path that only exists on the old laptop. Can anyone help? Is there a solution?
issy

Eric Zink
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
worked itself out Apr 12, 2016

Never did get a support solution. Apparently there was an update or something, though, because it works now.

Marilena Berca
Marilena Berca  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Solution Jun 16, 2023

I know this is an old topic, but I had the same problem today and I found the solution here: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000003066&_gl=1*t30cq2*_gcl_au*MTE2MzIyMjg5Mi4xNjg2OTMwNzkw*_ga*Mzc3MzIxOTc1LjE2ODY5MzA3OTE.*_ga_J0Z9C6G83T*MTY4NjkzMDc5MC4xLjEuMTY4NjkzMjI0NS4wLjAuMA..&_ga=2.38875683.1095759921.1686930791-377321975.1686930791<... See more
I know this is an old topic, but I had the same problem today and I found the solution here: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000003066&_gl=1*t30cq2*_gcl_au*MTE2MzIyMjg5Mi4xNjg2OTMwNzkw*_ga*Mzc3MzIxOTc1LjE2ODY5MzA3OTE.*_ga_J0Z9C6G83T*MTY4NjkzMDc5MC4xLjEuMTY4NjkzMjI0NS4wLjAuMA..&_ga=2.38875683.1095759921.1686930791-377321975.1686930791

I have Trados Studio 2017 and for some reason the default path was: C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Music. I followed the instructions and the problem was solved.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change save path for opening project packages

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »