Finding a good termbase source that's downloadable
Thread poster: blastradii (X)
blastradii (X)
blastradii (X)
Local time: 03:28
Jun 9, 2011

I've browsed through KudoZ and there are lot's of sparse resources.
I'm currently doing research on certain types of translation software and need some termbase data that's easy to input into my own database.

Is there a good source with comprehensive and complete termbases for download and categorized by different domains and industries?(also in a consistent format (CSV or TBX))
... See more
I've browsed through KudoZ and there are lot's of sparse resources.
I'm currently doing research on certain types of translation software and need some termbase data that's easy to input into my own database.

Is there a good source with comprehensive and complete termbases for download and categorized by different domains and industries?(also in a consistent format (CSV or TBX))? So far, I've found a Microsoft site (http://www.microsoft.com/Language/en-US/Terminology.aspx) that had a good collection of terms in various languages available for download...too bad it is specific to Microsoft technology.

Otherwise...I might have to resort to writing a script to scrape data from the sparse network of glossaries online...

Thanks in advance for the tip!
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@blastradii Jun 9, 2011

Wordbook.nl

You could try my collection of Dutch-English glossaries at: http://wordbook.nl/
I try and convert everything I find into tab-delimited UTF-8 text files, and the glossaries are divided into subjects.

Good luck!

Michael

[Edited at 2011-06-09 22:05 GMT]

blastradii (X)
blastradii (X)
Local time: 03:28
TOPIC STARTER
@Michael Jun 10, 2011

Thanks for the resource!
I'm looking specifically for English to Chinese glossaries. But I'll see if there are any in the links you provided.

Gregory Flanders
Gregory Flanders  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:28
French to English
+ ...
Online publicly accessible termbases Jun 10, 2011

This is perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but you might have a look at the page listed below. It doesn't look like many of them are downloadable/exportable, but it might be a good start for looking.

Let us know what you find!

http://blog.wordplay.ie/archive/2009/11/27/publicly-accessible-termbases.aspx

GERMAN PAEZ
GERMAN PAEZ  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Looking for TBs Nov 5, 2015

Dear all,

I just came across this thread while looking for downloadable termbases to use with my translation software.

Can anyone recommend reliable Spanish-English TB of juridical terms?

I appreciate your help and ideas!

Regards,

Germán

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding a good termbase source that's downloadable

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »