Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:25
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 1, 2011

Hi everyone,
when I'm overloaded by projects as now, I always fear not to consider all projects in my scheduling and, even worse, not to be able to fulfill delivery dates or to forget them.
I already tried some softwares that helps translators in planning and invoicing procedures, but I'm not satisfied about them.
I was wondering about a sort of Gantt Diagram, like those used in planning industrial processes, but a simplified version of it. So, I could see projects, deadlines
... See more
Hi everyone,
when I'm overloaded by projects as now, I always fear not to consider all projects in my scheduling and, even worse, not to be able to fulfill delivery dates or to forget them.
I already tried some softwares that helps translators in planning and invoicing procedures, but I'm not satisfied about them.
I was wondering about a sort of Gantt Diagram, like those used in planning industrial processes, but a simplified version of it. So, I could see projects, deadlines and overlappings.
Do you have a similar tool or do you know valuable tools that help me to have the workload situation at a glance? (I mean with some diagram, bar graph or similar).

Thank you very much for your answers.

Silvia
Collapse

J Gallagher (X)
J Gallagher (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:25
English to Finnish
+ ...
Pen and paper... Aug 1, 2011

...work for me. I keep a list with agency + number of words + sw to be used + deadline information within sight. And then simply cross over what I've done. This way I can quickly calculate in my head if there is still room for more work on a given day. Quick and efficient.

This simple approach appeals to me because I am an IT professional and have learnt the hard way (and through customer feedback when software is more
... See more
...work for me. I keep a list with agency + number of words + sw to be used + deadline information within sight. And then simply cross over what I've done. This way I can quickly calculate in my head if there is still room for more work on a given day. Quick and efficient.

This simple approach appeals to me because I am an IT professional and have learnt the hard way (and through customer feedback when software is more hassle than it's worth.

For invoicing, I've created Excel templates which produce the end result the agencies want to see. I just add the word counts per match % and po numbers. And paste the result into a template which has the region specific invoicing information (domestic, EU, non-EU).
Collapse

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
United States
Local time: 11:25
English to Polish
+ ...
Same here... Aug 1, 2011

... I tend to keep a Post-it note stuck to the desk close to keyboard - well in sight and hard to loose among other papers. Usually all the info I need in it is client's name+job no.+deadline+word count. I agree with J. Gallagher - sometimes another software running on your computer is just more hassle than help.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:25
German to English
+ ...
Post-Its as well Aug 1, 2011

I agree about the extra software! Yup, I use good old Post-Its when it's just a couple or three projects.

When many projects are running simultaneously, I create a (paper) folder for each filed in a magazine file in order of due date with the relevant info such as client, price, background docs to use, printout of the source for proofing later, etc. On large-volume projects I also use a simple electronic file with a table of chapters/sections/files to translate; columns to check wh
... See more
I agree about the extra software! Yup, I use good old Post-Its when it's just a couple or three projects.

When many projects are running simultaneously, I create a (paper) folder for each filed in a magazine file in order of due date with the relevant info such as client, price, background docs to use, printout of the source for proofing later, etc. On large-volume projects I also use a simple electronic file with a table of chapters/sections/files to translate; columns to check what has been started, finished, proofed, sent; word counts and in-house/external deadlines to keep myself on track.

Invoicing immediately or at least adding projects to monthly invoices as I go along really helps to keep things organized, too.

Hope that helps with ideas - the solution will be a very individual one depending on your working style.
Collapse

Gian
Gian
Italy
Local time: 18:25
English to Italian
+ ...
A simple Gantt Aug 1, 2011

You can use a very simple Gantt made with Excell.
Find here simple instructions.
Ciao

Gian

http://office.microsoft.com/it-it/excel-help/presentare-i-dati-in-un-diagramma-di-gantt-in-excel-HA010238253.aspx

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Planning for translation projects - Help me

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »