Thread poster: rikkie
rikkie
rikkie
Australia
Local time: 02:42
English to Japanese
+ ...
Nov 29, 2011

Could anyone recommend a good EPWING dictionary reader (i.e., app like DDWin) that runs on Windows 7, as a _retail product_? (not free/shareware)

The language pair is English and Japanese.

The reason why I'm after a retail product is that I assume licences of retail products are defined more professionally, which is a requirement this time.

Thank you in advance

[Edited at 2011-11-30 09:59 GMT]

Tanguy Przybylski
Tanguy Przybylski  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:42
Member (2008)
Japanese to French
+ ...
Atlas Nov 30, 2011

Hi Rikkie,

Personally I recommend Fujitsu's Atlas

http://www.fmw.co.jp/atlas/

It was working well on Vista and now it seems they updated it to 7 (I need to upgrade).

There is a lot of tools but the one I prefer is the dictionary tool (take care, in my version it's only working if you install the Japanese CD, not the English one, I hope they corrected this
... See more
Hi Rikkie,

Personally I recommend Fujitsu's Atlas

http://www.fmw.co.jp/atlas/

It was working well on Vista and now it seems they updated it to 7 (I need to upgrade).

There is a lot of tools but the one I prefer is the dictionary tool (take care, in my version it's only working if you install the Japanese CD, not the English one, I hope they corrected this minor inconvenience).

Depending on the version you buy, you have up to 8 millions words (especially technical, medical and rare stuff)in the dictionary, this program is the best I tested so far. You can also you it as translation tool even for pdfs

But it's a bit expansive (personally I consider CAT tools and dictionaries as the main tools of a translator so better to pay for something worth it than look for free or cheap crap that won't work).

If anyone else has a better challenger I would be interested too

Tanguy
Collapse

Jose Herrera
Jose Herrera  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tanguy Dec 3, 2011

Do you know if this dictionary is compatible with MAC?

rikkie
rikkie
Australia
Local time: 02:42
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Atlas Dec 4, 2011

Hi Tanguy,

Thank you for your advice about Atlas.

Atlas is a machine translation package, so are you are that it includes a EPWING dictionary reader or a function of reading such a dictionary within the package?

Does it read electronic dictionaries you purchased separately from the package?

Rikkie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

e-dictionary reader for Windows 7?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »