Termium
Thread poster: Marco Solinas
Marco Solinas
Marco Solinas  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:06
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 4, 2015

I am having trouble searching the Termium database. Since the site was modified (allegedly "improved"), I am able to access the site's search page, but I am unable to do a search. When I attempt to do one, a message appears telling me that "This page can't be displayed." Has anyone else encountered the same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions to solve it?

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:06
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Dec 4, 2015

I have a better question.
I have an old Termium on a CD that installs into Windows 3.11.
It is local and complete as of that time...
How can I use it under Win 7?

[Редактировалось 2015-12-04 21:04 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:06
English to French
+ ...
It works here Dec 4, 2015

Try refreshing your browser, and/or clearing the cache

Marco Solinas wrote:

I am having trouble searching the Termium database. Since the site was modified (allegedly "improved"), I am able to access the site's search page, but I am unable to do a search. When I attempt to do one, a message appears telling me that "This page can't be displayed." Has anyone else encountered the same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions to solve it?

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:06
English to French
+ ...
Install and try Dec 4, 2015

But, really, Windows 3.1 was, what, 15 years ago? The Termium database has been so much enlarged since then that it is probably not worth trying.

I had a few 3.1 applications installed and running under XP. Since 7 has an XP mode, that would most likely work.

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

I have a better question.
I have an old Termium on a CD that installs into Windows 3.11.
It is local and complete as of that time...
How can I use it under Win 7?

[Редактировалось 2015-12-04 21:04 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:06
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Dec 4, 2015

JL01 wrote:
But, really, Windows 3.1 was, what, 15 years ago? The Termium database has been so much enlarged since then that it is probably not worth trying.

I had a few 3.1 applications installed and running under XP. Since 7 has an XP mode, that would most likely work.

Termium itself does not have Russian I mainly work into. The real value of that old Termium is the extensive definitions and parallel terms in European languages one may need to generate new terms in unlisted languages.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:06
French to English
+ ...
Unusable now Dec 6, 2015

I've found that Termium is now unusable and my email to them got a reply telling me to clear my browser cache to solve the problem. That didn't work; I emailed back to tell them and just got another copy of the same email telling me to clear the cache. I told them I use Windows 8.1 with Firefox, information they totally ignored and their duplicated email only gave instructions for Windows Explorer. Fortunately, I don't need them to tell me how to clear the cache.

I do have a Windows
... See more
I've found that Termium is now unusable and my email to them got a reply telling me to clear my browser cache to solve the problem. That didn't work; I emailed back to tell them and just got another copy of the same email telling me to clear the cache. I told them I use Windows 8.1 with Firefox, information they totally ignored and their duplicated email only gave instructions for Windows Explorer. Fortunately, I don't need them to tell me how to clear the cache.

I do have a Windows 7 laptop, which I now rarely use and was planning on upgrading it to Windows 10, once that's been tested a bit more on other guinea pigs. However, I haven't yet tried to use Termium on that PC. It's a shame because I (used to ) find the context-related and detailed search results on Termium really useful.

[Edited at 2015-12-06 22:24 GMT]
Collapse

Marco Solinas
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Chromium Dec 6, 2015

I have found that if I connect through Chromium I am able to use Termium. I did a search on Google Chromium under "Termium;" one of the links gives me access to a form of Termium that actually works.

Marco Solinas
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link Dec 6, 2015

Here is the link that works for me on Chromium:

http://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tpv2alpha/alpha-eng.html?lang=eng&i=1&index=ent

When I enter this address in IE, I relayed to an unusable page.

Françoise Vogel
Françoise Vogel  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
English to French
+ ...
Looking for a solution... Dec 7, 2015

Marco Solinas wrote:

http://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tpv2alpha/alpha-eng.html?lang=eng&i=1&index=ent

On Windows 7 I've been automatically redirected to this page for a while. And the result is:

"ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE".

Marco Solinas
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows version Dec 7, 2015

Françoise Vogel wrote:

Marco Solinas wrote:

On Windows 7 I've been automatically redirected to this page for a while. And the result is:

"ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE".

I should have added that I use Windows 8.1. also, I repeat, it works only with Chromium; it does not work with IE.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termium

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »